Pres Café
BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger (/showthread.php?tid=103)

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - eyeTV - 25-08-2022

(25-08-2022, 06:44 PM)ginnyfan Wrote:  These simulcasts are the worst thing for UK viewers. I thought you were gonna finally get rid of them once the channels are merged. I mean, finally, there was a chance to show World news in the morning and during 1,6 and 10. Why are these simulcasts staying???

It's crazy really. If the UK audience has to accept it's now a World channel then at least give the UK audience access to that content when the BBC One bulletins are airing. There's no need to create the illusion of a UK service by simulcasting something the audience can already access.

chris - chris - 25-08-2022

(25-08-2022, 06:10 PM)DTV Wrote:  - The PM programme is visualised (17:00-18:00).

None of these would require any significant additional staffing or costs relative to the initial proposals or are outlandish, yet all taken together would keep the UK-only output at roughly the same level as it has been since 2015.

I’ve said it in a previous post but just to reiterate: visualising radio isn’t a solution. It completely misses the point that television is about pictures. Why do I want to sit and watch Evan Davies speak into a microphone? What’s your plan for when a package is played?

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - all new phil - 25-08-2022

(25-08-2022, 06:44 PM)ginnyfan Wrote:  These simulcasts are the worst thing for UK viewers. I thought you were gonna finally get rid of them once the channels are merged. I mean, finally, there was a chance to show World news in the morning and during 1,6 and 10. Why are these simulcasts staying???

Totally agree with you on this. They need to commit to what they’re doing. There is zero benefit in simulcasting what’s being shown on BBC1 - just stick to the world news premise and ensure that where to find domestic and local news is clearly signposted, otherwise it just becomes a confusing mess. 

One thing I’d do differently to what is proposed - I’d retain the BBC World News name. Make it clear what the proposition is and how it differs from the domestic bulletins.

RE: chris - DTV - 25-08-2022

(25-08-2022, 07:48 PM)chris Wrote:  I’ve said it in a previous post but just to reiterate: visualising radio isn’t a solution. It completely misses the point that television is about pictures. Why do I want to sit and watch Evan Davies speak into a microphone? What’s your plan for when a package is played?

It's 2022, it isn't hard to create bi-modal packages that contain illustrative visuals, while still working for radio - indeed voiced-over footage + basic graphics/data visualisation templates is very similar to how rolling news is presented anyway. PM also contains a lot of in-studio content and DtL interviews, which, again, isn't really that different to a lot of current NC output, just in a radio studio instead. It might not be optimal presentation-wise, but when your choice is between something and nothing, you don't get picky about how the something is presented. I would also imagine that any visualised radio studios are going to be tarted up a bit, in the manner of the LBC studios, so it shouldn't be too bad.

Also I expect they'll have to find something to fit in the 17:00-18:00 slot by the Autumn. Focus on Africa is pegged to 17:30 GMT and the BBC also produce that for external broadcasters. I'm not sure there will be much desire to put that on BBC News (UK), even in the highest simulcast scenario.

(25-08-2022, 07:59 PM)all new phil Wrote:  Totally agree with you on this. They need to commit to what they’re doing. There is zero benefit in simulcasting what’s being shown on BBC1 - just stick to the world news premise and ensure that where to find domestic and local news is clearly signposted, otherwise it just becomes a confusing mess. 

Not sure I agree here. If they were to actually commit to a fully international channel, that'd be one thing (although I don't think it would be optimal). But we all know that there would be a good chance of the BBC caving into public criticism and introducing more UK content on the channel - creating the unsatisfactory smudge that serves neither audience. I have no problem with simulcasts in the evening, as the main World audience then is Europe and US who are more open to some UK content. But afternoons need to be kept separate - it is both peak developing UK news time and primetime in several key World markets - it just wouldn't mix. And if it isn't kept separate from the get-go, it isn't going to be separated later on.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Steve in Pudsey - 26-08-2022

(25-08-2022, 08:48 PM)DTV Wrote:  It might not be optimal presentation-wise, but when your choice is between something and nothing, you don't get picky about how the something is presented.

This is a service that license holders pay for, not scraps from the table that we should be grateful for what we get.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - DTV - 26-08-2022

(26-08-2022, 08:28 AM)Steve in Pudsey Wrote:  
(25-08-2022, 08:48 PM)DTV Wrote:  It might not be optimal presentation-wise, but when your choice is between something and nothing, you don't get picky about how the something is presented.

This is a service that license holders pay for, not scraps from the table that we should be grateful for what we get.

But again this is just hyberbole. Visualised radio might no be optimal, but it isn't the end of the world. Some people seem to imagine it consists of televising those old studio webcams, when it involves multiple eye-level cameras, with studios smartened up with some LED lighting and a few screens. Sure it's not Studio E, but if you can't watch the news because there's a radio mic there, that feels like a you problem.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Cappuccino - 26-08-2022

Folks, keep it civil please.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Newsroom - 26-08-2022

Well at least we know OFCOM are watching carefully what happens.

https://www.cityam.com/ofcom-gives-bbc-news-merger-the-nod-but-urges-for-quality/

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - DTV - 26-08-2022

(26-08-2022, 12:24 PM)Newsroom Wrote:  Well at least we know OFCOM are watching carefully what happens.

https://www.cityam.com/ofcom-gives-bbc-news-merger-the-nod-but-urges-for-quality/

Pretty much outlines exactly why I think there is a need to guarantee separate afternoons from the start. The last thing either audience needs is for the BBC to reverse ferret after six months and end up with a schedule of 10am-style hours (which has never been satisfactory, but at least one of the deadest hours for BBC World News, so greater UK content is more acceptable).

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Steve in Pudsey - 26-08-2022

(26-08-2022, 09:24 AM)DTV Wrote:  
(26-08-2022, 08:28 AM)Steve in Pudsey Wrote:  

But again this is just hyberbole. Visualised radio might no be optimal, but it isn't the end of the world. Some people seem to imagine it consists of televising those old studio webcams, when it involves multiple eye-level cameras, with studios smartened up with some LED lighting and a few screens. Sure it's not Studio E, but if you can't watch the news because there's a radio mic there, that feels like a you problem.

Thanks for that rant, which is a hell of a leap from what I actually said. I was simply expressing an opinion that your suggestion that beggars can't be choosers is not valid in this context.

But to address your point, it's a lot more about the news packages than the studio presentation. TV is not just radio with pictures, and producing packages as such can mean a compromised experience for both audiences.