Pres Café
BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger (/showthread.php?tid=103)

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Keith - 22-02-2023

An unlikely thought but is it possible for BBC News to rely on a regional news crew(s) to be on standby during weekdays for UK opts?

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Moz - 22-02-2023

(22-02-2023, 11:49 AM)Matrix Wrote:  
(22-02-2023, 11:41 AM)Moz Wrote:  That could be a clever move from BBC News - putting the UK breaking news opt-out via a red button sending you to an iPlayer stream, rather than the UK broadcast changing.

This way they could monitor how much interest there is, and work out the cost per button push!

If a major UK story breaks and very few people press red to watch the coverage, then they know to scale it back. However if every time UK viewers are given the opportunity to watch the break away service tens of thousands choose to view, then they know it’s worth expanding the offering.
This is assuming a degree of digital literacy (and connected devices), though. 

I suspect the hard truth here is that the 'UK focus' aspect will quietly be shelved after some clunky and rather cumbersome opt outs. In its place, the BBC focus on new media will come into its own and the 'expensive, hotel traveller looking for a summary' will continue on this channel.

Well this is what Katie Razzall said last July…

“I've been told that £4m will be reinvested in new "future-facing" plans, financed from the £12.5m being saved by merging the channels. Those include a live and breaking news team it's believed will significantly increase the BBC's capacity to offer breaking stories across all its platforms, including, crucially, BBC iPlayer.”

So, perhaps it will be on iPlayer only?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-62161868 

RE: BBC Breakfast - DTV - 22-02-2023

(22-02-2023, 09:11 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  The sensible thing would be to keep two opts each hour, at which point the news channel can focus on UK news whilst World is viewing sport and vice versa. 
This almost certainly a discussion that is better off in the merger thread, but would I be right in thinking that your proposals are something along these lines...
[Image: BBCMergerStructureProposalBrekkie.png]
It's a really interesting idea and certainly a bit different to what I was thinking, which was more based on the traditional News channel structure.
[Image: BBCMergerStructureProposalDTV.png]
Your structure certainly allows for more separated coverage, but could be more messy opt-wise? I'd have to know whether I've got your thinking right to comment more.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Charles - 23-02-2023

(22-02-2023, 09:17 PM)ginnyfan Wrote:  Martine Croxall should be the main presenter of these UK opt outs since she is the most vocal about how bad all of this is, has quite a following and seems to prefer broadcasting to UK audience only.

I really hope she lands on her feet somewhere good. I don't see her all that much seeing as I'm outside the UK, but I've always been a fan of hers. She's a great presenter with excellent delivery.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Independent - 23-02-2023

(21-02-2023, 10:48 PM)Newsroom Wrote:  
(21-02-2023, 07:50 PM)Kojak Wrote:  Ah, Susan the Strikebreaker! Or, to use her proper name, D'Oiley.
I am laughing so much! DOILEY!
Can someone explain what "doiley" is supposed to mean or what it refers to? I don't see any food! Tongue

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Newsroom - 23-02-2023

(23-02-2023, 06:37 AM)Independent Wrote:  
(21-02-2023, 10:48 PM)Newsroom Wrote:  I am laughing so much! DOILEY!
Can someone explain what "doiley" is supposed to mean or what it refers to? I don't see any food! Tongue

Noggin gave a wonderful explanation over at TVF some time ago. 

https://tvforum.uk/thenewsroom/bbc-news-24-23764/page-220

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Matrix - 23-02-2023

(22-02-2023, 10:39 PM)Moz Wrote:  
(22-02-2023, 11:49 AM)Matrix Wrote:  This is assuming a degree of digital literacy (and connected devices), though. 

I suspect the hard truth here is that the 'UK focus' aspect will quietly be shelved after some clunky and rather cumbersome opt outs. In its place, the BBC focus on new media will come into its own and the 'expensive, hotel traveller looking for a summary' will continue on this channel.

Well this is what Katie Razzall said last July…

“I've been told that £4m will be reinvested in new "future-facing" plans, financed from the £12.5m being saved by merging the channels. Those include a live and breaking news team it's believed will significantly increase the BBC's capacity to offer breaking stories across all its platforms, including, crucially, BBC iPlayer.”

So, perhaps it will be on iPlayer only?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-62161868 

Yeah, there were early stage discussions about putting the entire channel as basically a UK opt-style iPlayer stream (think BBC Three days) but my understanding was that this was dropped due to the perception that the news channel audience would find, generally speaking, it harder to access if only an iPlayer stream. 

That said, I can see a situation whereby lots more of the stand alone reports are made available on iPlayer with a focus on UK stories. There something very similar happening with Sounds and individual stories being made available (I've heard it referred to as From Our Own Correspondent on Acid without Kate Aide).

RE: BBC Breakfast - alfiejmulcahy - 23-02-2023

(22-02-2023, 11:26 PM)DTV Wrote:  
(22-02-2023, 09:11 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  The sensible thing would be to keep two opts each hour, at which point the news channel can focus on UK news whilst World is viewing sport and vice versa. 
This almost certainly a discussion that is better off in the merger thread, but would I be right in thinking that your proposals are something along these lines...

This is how I had assumed the new channel would work.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - DTV - 23-02-2023

(23-02-2023, 09:50 AM)Matrix Wrote:  That said, I can see a situation whereby lots more of the stand alone reports are made available on iPlayer with a focus on UK stories. There something very similar happening with Sounds and individual stories being made available (I've heard it referred to as From Our Own Correspondent on Acid without Kate Aide).
I've always wondered why more VT reports aren't put up online any way, I assume there must be a technical reason for it? Especially considering so many reports must get 'lost' for stories that aren't high enough on the running order for TV bulletins.

RE: BBC Breakfast - DTV - 23-02-2023

(23-02-2023, 10:24 AM)alfiejmulcahy Wrote:  
(22-02-2023, 11:26 PM)DTV Wrote:  This almost certainly a discussion that is better off in the merger thread, but would I be right in thinking that your proposals are something along these lines...
This is how I had assumed the new channel would work.
I can certainly see the merits of that structure - as it is basically a merger of the current UK and World 'standard' hours, just with a different first-half running order. The problem, though, is things like afternoons where World have preferred to run more newsy programmes in the last 18 years, but I guess they could replace the business with more world news in some hours.

One thing that could really benefit the new channel is a return of proper News in Brief segments. As both channels have slowed down in pace over the years, they've become less common - particularly on the News channel. Having 'Around the World' in brief sections during the first half-hour could allow more of the world to feel covered, with you having an additional UK in Brief section during the World ad break.