Pres Café
BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger (/showthread.php?tid=103)

RE: BBC Breakfast - Brekkie - 23-02-2023

(22-02-2023, 11:26 PM)DTV Wrote:  
(22-02-2023, 09:11 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  The sensible thing would be to keep two opts each hour, at which point the news channel can focus on UK news whilst World is viewing sport and vice versa. 
This almost certainly a discussion that is better off in the merger thread, but would I be right in thinking that your proposals are something along these lines...
[Image: BBCMergerStructureProposalBrekkie.png]
It's a really interesting idea and certainly a bit different to what I was thinking, which was more based on the traditional News channel structure.

Your structure certainly allows for more separated coverage, but could be more messy opt-wise? I'd have to know whether I've got your thinking right to comment more.

Yes, for another thread but essentially that.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Matrix - 23-02-2023

(23-02-2023, 11:01 AM)DTV Wrote:  
(23-02-2023, 09:50 AM)Matrix Wrote:  That said, I can see a situation whereby lots more of the stand alone reports are made available on iPlayer with a focus on UK stories. There something very similar happening with Sounds and individual stories being made available (I've heard it referred to as From Our Own Correspondent on Acid without Kate Aide).
I've always wondered why more VT reports aren't put up online any way, I assume there must be a technical reason for it? Especially considering so many reports must get 'lost' for stories that aren't high enough on the running order for TV bulletins.
I think, partly, a question of resources comes into it. Admittedly, this has got a lot easier in recent years to package up a report and make it more readily available. There was a phase, a few years ago, of encouraging reports to be 'attached' to the website article relating to that. It ended up being reviewed, though, as stories tended to develop and then the article was drawing attention to a (then) outdated news report. 

Therein lies another reason, I suspect, for caution. Editorially, reports are obviously stood by (unless there is a clear issue or correction required). But just as we've seen recently in some cases of active dis-information, reports have a certain shelf-life (and need to be clearly demarked if they are old or outdated). 

Finally, I suspect that the technological aspect plays a role. Firstly, where do you put the reports - particularly in the earlier days of iPlayer it was quite intensive to get material up and ready. Secondly though, how do you help an audience navigate an archive of stories. A daily 'run down' (which seems the favoured method) or do you create something more bespoke. 

Some thoughts but I do suspect this is where we'll end up heading in the longer term.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Brekkie - 23-02-2023

John Motson's death another example of how this merged channel will fail audiences. It's of little relevance to an international audience but not a big enough story to justify firing up the breaking news teams. Traditionally it's a story that would be covered throughout the day with memories and tributes as they come in, in between other stories. Under this new model it would likely be covered only within the sports bulletins (and that's if they're UK focused) and briefly at best within the main running order.

chris - chris - 23-02-2023

(23-02-2023, 09:50 AM)Matrix Wrote:  
(22-02-2023, 10:39 PM)Moz Wrote:  Well this is what Katie Razzall said last July…

“I've been told that £4m will be reinvested in new "future-facing" plans, financed from the £12.5m being saved by merging the channels. Those include a live and breaking news team it's believed will significantly increase the BBC's capacity to offer breaking stories across all its platforms, including, crucially, BBC iPlayer.”

So, perhaps it will be on iPlayer only?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-62161868 

Yeah, there were early stage discussions about putting the entire channel as basically a UK opt-style iPlayer stream (think BBC Three days) but my understanding was that this was dropped due to the perception that the news channel audience would find, generally speaking, it harder to access if only an iPlayer stream. 

That said, I can see a situation whereby lots more of the stand alone reports are made available on iPlayer with a focus on UK stories. There something very similar happening with Sounds and individual stories being made available (I've heard it referred to as From Our Own Correspondent on Acid without Kate Aide).

They should take a look at what ITVX are doing.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Alf Stewart - 23-02-2023

I do wonder if the as yet unnamed presenter/reporters could fill the role of breaking news presenter.

Someone like Ben Boulos would be excellent in this type of role. Able to report from location, can file a package and can handle breaking news in the studio.

Would make mores sense to have one of these presenter/reporters on shift as it were. They can be utilising their time prepping and filing reports rather than sitting around waiting for something to happen but then they're on hand if needed top opt for the UK.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - all new phil - 23-02-2023

(23-02-2023, 12:41 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  John Motson's death another example of how this merged channel will fail audiences.  It's of little relevance to an international audience but not a big enough story to justify firing up the breaking news teams.    Traditionally it's a story that would be covered throughout the day with memories and tributes as they come in, in between other stories.    Under this new model it would likely be covered only within the sports bulletins (and that's if they're UK focused) and briefly at best within the main running order.

Plenty of coverage on the app and their social media feeds…

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - chris - 23-02-2023

Having watched the 1 o’clock news today, I can’t see this programme being broadcast on the new international-focused channel, at least on the World feed.

So where will it broadcast from? We haven’t had any details on that or weekend bulletins, right?

Apologies if I missed in and amongst the hyperbole in this thread.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - interestednovice - 23-02-2023

(23-02-2023, 02:53 PM)chris Wrote:  Having watched the 1 o’clock news today, I can’t see this programme being broadcast on the new international-focused channel, at least on the World feed.

So where will it broadcast from? We haven’t had any details on that or weekend bulletins, right?
I think it’s already on record, unofficially, that no domestic bulletins will appear on the merged channel for viewers outside the UK, excluding serious breaking news of the type where we have seen the bulletins on BBC World News in the past. 

Where easy and convenient to do so, the BBC will “slot in” some simulcasts with domestic bulletins on the UK-stream only. This allows BBC managers to claim they are providing a bespoke service for license fee payers. Breakfast, we already know, will be one of those occasions (as it already is now). We don’t know whether or not the 1 o’clock news will be: presumably either they will simulcast it and they will continue with the unofficial “newshour” segment beyond 1:30pm (as now) - allowing for a clean rejoin with the global feed at the 2pm top of the hour, or they will not broadcast it on the channel. If they don’t broadcast it, they will have to find somewhere else to put the signed version which is currently shown on the BBC News channel. I don’t think it would go down well if they shifted that to red button and online only. So I expect the former is more likely than the latter. It would also be an easy-win to utilise the One presenter for the rest of the hour to provide more UK-exclusive content.

Studio-wise, the 1 o’clock news will join the 6 and 10 in Studio B, and possibly short weekend updates may use Studio D in the future if they don’t want to fire-up B. This leaves E free for the new channel and C as a spare for cleaning/maintenance in E. C could also be used for a proper U.K. opt but it sounds as if the current plan is to use D (for extended broadcasts, like scheduled breakaways for coverage around a general election) or a clip studio (for breaking news).

That situation is widely suspected to be altered for the soft-launch, with the channel probably coming from an unchanged Studio C whilst Studio E is refurbished ahead of the “proper launch”. We don’t yet know if they will bother to revamp C as well, once E is done.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - DTV - 23-02-2023

(23-02-2023, 03:18 PM)interestednovice Wrote:  I think it’s already on record, unofficially, that no domestic bulletins will appear on the merged channel for viewers outside the UK, excluding serious breaking news of the type where we have seen the bulletins on BBC World News in the past.

Where easy and convenient to do so, the BBC will “slot in” some simulcasts with domestic bulletins on the UK-stream only. This allows BBC managers to claim they are providing a bespoke service for license fee payers.
Yep, domestic bulletins will not appear on the world version of the merged channel (possibly excluding very rare UK-centric events, such as Royal events and UK political crises, or where there is only one major international story, such as the start of the War in Ukraine). I'm not sure if continued simulcast of bulletins in the UK has been confirmed, but that is certainly the broad expectation.

(23-02-2023, 03:18 PM)interestednovice Wrote:  Studio-wise, the 1 o’clock news will join the 6 and 10 in Studio B, and possibly short weekend updates may use Studio D in the future if they don’t want to fire-up B. This leaves E free for the new channel and C as a spare for cleaning/maintenance in E. C could also be used for a proper U.K. opt but it sounds as if the current plan is to use D (for extended broadcasts, like scheduled breakaways for coverage around a general election) or a clip studio (for breaking news).
I think it's reasonable to expect all network news to return to Studio B - effectively returning to a pre-2008 set-up. The UK-opt will actually come from 'Studio' J - the Outside Source balcony, which uses Studio A's gallery (which I assume will become the network control for the UK version of the channel). D seems more likely to become the spare studio; C looks to be redundant after the refurbishment of E.

(23-02-2023, 03:18 PM)interestednovice Wrote:  We don’t know whether or not the 1 o’clock news will be: presumably either they will simulcast it and they will continue with the unofficial “newshour” segment beyond 1:30pm (as now) - allowing for a clean rejoin with the global feed at the 2pm top of the hour, or they will not broadcast it on the channel. If they don’t broadcast it, they will have to find somewhere else to put the signed version which is currently shown on the BBC News channel. I don’t think it would go down well if they shifted that to red button and online only. So I expect the former is more likely than the latter. It would also be an easy-win to utilise the One presenter for the rest of the hour to provide more UK-exclusive content.
Utilising network teams to produce UK newshours at certain times would certainly be a sensible option, but given they'll likely also move the London 13:30 into B with the One, I don't know if it would be possible for 'extended' versions of the network bulletins. As for the signed hour, that hour was signed before News 24 started simulcasting the One in April 2006, so, if the One doesn't remain simulcast, I would expect they'd just sign that hour of BBC News instead.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - bilky asko - 23-02-2023

(23-02-2023, 02:37 PM)all new phil Wrote:  
(23-02-2023, 12:41 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  John Motson's death another example of how this merged channel will fail audiences.  It's of little relevance to an international audience but not a big enough story to justify firing up the breaking news teams.    Traditionally it's a story that would be covered throughout the day with memories and tributes as they come in, in between other stories.    Under this new model it would likely be covered only within the sports bulletins (and that's if they're UK focused) and briefly at best within the main running order.

Plenty of coverage on the app and their social media feeds…

Though it's not the skew you want for deaths of elderly well-known figures.