Pres Café
BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger (/showthread.php?tid=103)

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - bbctvtechop - 23-02-2023

The output will be fully joined from March 6th with a full launch date of April 3rd. During this transition period, there will be no planned facility for breaking UK news.

Impact, Global and Live With Lucy are gone. 

World Business Report at 1130 and 1430 weekdays. 

World News America only on the international stream, and 1/6/10 only on the domestic stream. 

Focus On Africa will only go to partners, and will not broadcast on the channel. 

Back half hours to continue. Sport will have both joint and domestic only programmes. 

0900-1900 from Studio E, evenings and overnight from C during the transition period. Then at launch everything will comr from C with UK opt outs from A. 

Breaks on the world version will be filled with UK focused content on the domestic version.

Headlines dropped with just a title sequence starting the show and into the top story within 30 seconds.

Various new presentation positions across the newsroom for touchscreen pieces, explainers, correspondent interviews, etc. 

New branded programmes to launch later in the year. 

"New digital streams" to launch later in the year (no more detail on what this is) 

There is also a chunk of info about the UK breaking news ability which I will post tomorrow.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Chud - 24-02-2023

Thanks. So many thoughts and questions. I thought A would be playing a part. Wonder what the set up will be for the UK ops and who will do them.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - DTV - 24-02-2023

(23-02-2023, 11:33 PM)Stockland Hillman Wrote:  I disagree of course. Reported reach is an established metric - all radio data , newspaper readership etc are all measured that way.

BARB is useful,  but far from rigorous. Its having to significantly increase panel size as its mot viewing as credible by many media buyers used to real digital user data

News channel's aren't that expensive these days, and can generate significant content for multiplatform use. Particularly where you have a content infrastructure for other outlets
By no means was I bashing surveys - I mean the NRS is certainly a far more accurate metric of readership than circulation figures (which are so dodgy for some papers I'm amazed any advertiser takes seriously). I more felt that the wording of the question is a bit liable to overrepresent lower-use options. And, of course, I would agree that BARB does have its flaws, but the methodology is more sound than a single data-point survey with a 2-3% margin of error.

As a side note to this discussion, I was looking back at the viewing figures for BBC News channel over the years (public data goes up to 2018) and, for reference, the best-performing hours tend to be:
- Sunday mornings (08:00 - 10:00) - i.e., when Breakfast disappears for MotD. This can sometimes reach over 0.5m - by far the best performing slot. This creates a strong tailwind effect and sometimes the 10:30 pre-record (e.g. Inside Out) ended up appearing in the Top 10.
- BBC News at Five, including The Film Review.
- Saturday/Sunday evenings at 18:00 or 22:00 - if network news was on at irregular times.
- Sportsday, The Papers and simulcasts of network bulletins were also frequent Top 10ers.
- Most interestingly, though, is that Outside Source and Beyond 100 Days appeared fairly frequently in more recent years, despite their respective hours rarely appearing in earlier years.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Moz - 24-02-2023

(23-02-2023, 11:52 PM)bbctvtechop Wrote:  Headlines dropped with just a title sequence starting the show and into the top story within 30 seconds.
Thanks for all that, but this bit is very interesting!

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - dvboy - 24-02-2023

(23-02-2023, 11:52 PM)bbctvtechop Wrote:  The output will be fully joined from March 6th with a full launch date of April 3rd. During this transition period, there will be no planned facility for breaking UK news.

Impact, Global and Live With Lucy are gone. 

BBC World News schedule in Digiguide shows "BBC News" from 6 March in place of those programmes.
No schedule for BBC News channel yet for that week.

edit.. but they are on the BBC website
Compare Monday 27 February https://www.bbc.co.uk/schedules/p00fzl6g/2023/02/27 
With Monday 6 March https://www.bbc.co.uk/schedules/p00fzl6g/2023/03/06 

(24-02-2023, 12:08 AM)Moz Wrote:  
(23-02-2023, 11:52 PM)bbctvtechop Wrote:  Headlines dropped with just a title sequence starting the show and into the top story within 30 seconds.
Thanks for all that, but this bit is very interesting!
Flags era was last time you really had either channel go 'titles first', but even then you still had headlines sequences. Maybe it genuinely is 'all new'.

Presentationally all sounds very exciting, even if I'm still sceptical on editorial grounds.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - London Lite - 24-02-2023

Presumably BBC Two will also get WBR which then segues into Politics Live.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Josh - 24-02-2023

(23-02-2023, 11:52 PM)bbctvtechop Wrote:  The output will be fully joined from March 6th with a full launch date of April 3rd. During this transition period, there will be no planned facility for breaking UK news.
Bizarre choice. Presume there's reasoning behind the decision but surely it makes sense to have something there?

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Radio_man - 24-02-2023

So we must assume that the 1pm BBC 1 news will move to a different studio from 6 March? Presumably either B or D, with BBC London in the same studio straight afterwards?

It'll be interesting to see if the opening "with the latest headlines for viewers in the UK and around the world" is dropped on 6 March as well. It's not used on the overnight simulcasts, presumably because UK viewing figures are miniscule anyway!

(24-02-2023, 12:34 AM)London Lite Wrote:  Presumably BBC Two will also get WBR which then segues into Politics Live.
11:30 WBR is only 15 minutes (really only about 10) and Politics Live is pushed back to 12:15 these days, so I think the segue would be the main presenter's job - luckily World should have an opt point around then.

So I assume this means the last full separate proper News channel hour is the 17:00 next Friday. Should really go to Jane Hill - last of the originals left, though shame that Esler's not still around - Friday Five was his for a long time and there would have been a nice symmetry in him presenting the final hour.