Pres Café
BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger (/showthread.php?tid=103)

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - News76 - 24-02-2023

(24-02-2023, 12:41 AM)Josh Wrote:  
(23-02-2023, 11:52 PM)bbctvtechop Wrote:  The output will be fully joined from March 6th with a full launch date of April 3rd. During this transition period, there will be no planned facility for breaking UK news.
Bizarre choice. Presume there's reasoning behind the decision but surely it makes sense to have something there?

Especially after what happened during the 15:00pm hour on Sunday.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - ALV - 24-02-2023

Still no news on new graphics... not even the slightest speculation... Are we STILL sticking to the 2008 spinning globe intro with Gill Sans place names in the transition period? Ahh the anticipation is killing me...

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - AJB39 - 24-02-2023

(24-02-2023, 12:08 AM)Moz Wrote:  
(23-02-2023, 11:52 PM)bbctvtechop Wrote:  Headlines dropped with just a title sequence starting the show and into the top story within 30 seconds.
Thanks for all that, but this bit is very interesting!

Yes, Why are they dropping the headlines? That seems like a very odd decision.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Rolling News - 24-02-2023

So, we only have another 6 days of the U.K. News channel as we know it. Wasn’t expecting it to happen this quick!

Wonder if it means we could be saying farewell to a few more on screen talent over the coming days? Or getting news of new roles some of them may be moving in to?

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - oscillon - 24-02-2023

(24-02-2023, 12:54 AM)AJB39 Wrote:  
(24-02-2023, 12:08 AM)Moz Wrote:  Thanks for all that, but this bit is very interesting!

Yes, Why are they dropping the headlines? That seems like a very odd decision.

May be it is to hide the "merged" nature of the channel, seen on display during the headlines? During the hour they might be able to intertwine the UK stories with the international ones, so that they will not stand out to viewers overseas. It is much trickier to do with the headlines.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - interestednovice - 24-02-2023

(24-02-2023, 12:43 AM)Radio_man Wrote:  It'll be interesting to see if the opening "with the latest headlines for viewers in the UK and around the world" is dropped on 6 March as well. It's not used on the overnight simulcasts, presumably because UK viewing figures are miniscule anyway!
Probably, it always struck me as unnecessarily highlighting the simulcast and an annoying delay to actually getting to the headlines. I much prefer the classic: “This is BBC News, I’m whoever, the headlines [at TIME]”. You could still tell when it was a simulcast as references to time were dropped, of course.

They did an even longer and more unwieldy intro for a while during the original Covid lockdowns, to the effect of “This is BBC News, with the latest coronavirus developments here in the U.K. and around the world. I’m whoever.”

This is even more ridiculous when they then go on to say, again, “Welcome if you you are watching in the U.K., or around the world” immediately after the headline sequence!

However, a comment on studios: the news that A is going to actively be used is very disappointing, frankly. It simply looks terrible. I was hoping that a revamp of E, including work in the newsroom and the former weather balcony / Outside Source area would allow for a solid “main studio” and secondary presentation space; A’s gallery then being used effectively for playout of the U.K. stream only and the studio not appearing on screen. In my most-optimistic assumptions, I was thinking this would then free-up A for another studio upgrade so the tech could be improved for future use. D could be a good spare studio, seeing as it has already been upgraded, and C could be tweaked in a similar way. It sounds like none of that will now happen.

Apologies for conflating things earlier by forgetting to mention the newsroom “studio area” in my speculation - I wasn’t clear, but I was thinking of how things might be used before that area was ready. I’m assuming at least some upgrades would be required, so it more closely mimics a “real studio”. It wouldn’t be any good, in my view, for it to simply be a presenter putting their laptop on a small pedestal-style table for potentially hours at a time. It worked out for the Victoria Derbyshire news summary, but that was because it was only a short update.

I’m also somewhat surprised, but pleased, to see that they are going to broadcast World Business Report in the UK. They’ve often seemed reluctant to do that in the past, for some reason, despite UK-business news being cut back. This is a good move.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - DTV - 24-02-2023

(24-02-2023, 01:24 AM)interestednovice Wrote:  However, a comment on studios: the news that A is going to actively be used is very disappointing, frankly. It simply looks terrible. I was hoping that a revamp of E, including work in the newsroom and the former weather balcony / Outside Source area would allow for a solid “main studio” and secondary presentation space; A’s gallery then being used effectively for playout of the U.K. stream only and the studio not appearing on screen.
My reading is that A is only being used for the UK opt in the interim and that they'll move the UK opt to the balcony studio at the same time as E is reopened. Otherwise you'll end up with workmen in the back of shot of either E or J - which probably isn't the greatest backdrop.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - interestednovice - 24-02-2023

(24-02-2023, 12:45 AM)DTV Wrote:  I assume this means the last full separate proper News channel hour is the 17:00 next Friday. Should really go to Jane Hill - last of the originals left, though shame that Esler's not still around - Friday Five was his for a long time and there would have been a nice symmetry in him presenting the final hour.

Hopefully it does go to Jane, she would bring the channel to a fitting end.

They could keep the 5pm hour at very little extra cost, so I was thinking that would be a good scheduled opt to be presented by the 1pm presenter as it already is now. I’m quite disappointed to see it go - for a long time it has been the News Channel’s flagship hour. It used to regularly be presented by Huw, of course, who seemed to enjoy a bit of rolling news in addition to his duties on the 10.

Another idea to keep sole U.K.-news in the evening, that has occurred to me as potentially workable, would be to bring back “your 90 second update”, presented by the 10 presenter and then immediately followed by a half-hour of news, with the update ending with a reference along the lines of: I’ll be back here at 10, more on all those stories right now on the BBC News channel. This could go at 8:30pm, where there is currently a conspicuous pre-record to fill the gap between Outside Source and the Context. This U.K.-exclusive half-hour could be produced from B by the 10 team. If you kept the 5 as well, along with the ability to daytime opt, it might be possible to just about make it work.

What they are actually doing, though, just sounds terrible.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - oscillon - 24-02-2023

(23-02-2023, 11:52 PM)bbctvtechop Wrote:  World News America only on the international stream, and 1/6/10 only on the domestic stream. 
And what about the overnights coming from the US? They won't be branded as "World News America"?

(23-02-2023, 11:52 PM)bbctvtechop Wrote:  Then at launch everything will comr from C with UK opt outs from A. 
One is left to wonder whether whether they will be able to do a little refurbishment of studio C in the month that it will be empty during daytimes...

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Radio_man - 24-02-2023

(24-02-2023, 01:36 AM)interestednovice Wrote:  
(24-02-2023, 12:45 AM)DTV Wrote:  I assume this means the last full separate proper News channel hour is the 17:00 next Friday. Should really go to Jane Hill - last of the originals left, though shame that Esler's not still around - Friday Five was his for a long time and there would have been a nice symmetry in him presenting the final hour.

Hopefully it does go to Jane, she would bring the channel to a fitting end.

They could keep the 5pm hour at very little extra cost, so I was thinking that would be a good scheduled opt to be presented by the 1pm presenter as it already is now. I’m quite disappointed to see it go - for a long time it has been the News Channel’s flagship hour. It used to regularly be presented by Huw, of course, who seemed to enjoy a bit of rolling news in addition to his duties on the 10.
I've floated this idea as well but have been told it's not workable or possible, mainly due to lack studio space at 5pm apparently