Pres Café
BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger (/showthread.php?tid=103)

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - ViridianFan - 24-02-2023

(23-02-2023, 11:52 PM)bbctvtechop Wrote:  0900-1900 from Studio E, evenings and overnight from C during the transition period. Then at launch everything will comr from C with UK opt outs from A.
This may be me being thick but does this mean that after the transition period and when the new channel launches “officially”, studio E is no longer being used or it’s just a case of everything in studio C whilst E is getting refurbished?

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - oscillon - 24-02-2023

(24-02-2023, 01:17 AM)Rolling News Wrote:  Wonder if it means we could be saying farewell to a few more on screen talent over the coming days? Or getting news of new roles some of them may be moving in to?

Not sure if this is linked to the coming merger, but this week's BBC World News AMerica has been presented by David Willis Mon-Wed, and Anjana Gadgil today, from Washington DC.
Willis is usually featured as a U.S. correspondent, and once in a while did overnights from the UK.
Anjana was originally a BBC South Today anchor, and she still has "BBC South Today" in her twitter bio, as well as "World News". She presented overnight less then a week ago from the UK. May today's WNA shift is the new role for her?

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - interestednovice - 24-02-2023

(24-02-2023, 01:40 AM)oscillon Wrote:  
(23-02-2023, 11:52 PM)bbctvtechop Wrote:  World News America only on the international stream, and 1/6/10 only on the domestic stream. 
And what about the overnights coming from the US? They won't be branded as "World News America"?
I very much doubt it!

BBC World News America is a brand equivalent to BBC News at Six. It is a programme, not a blanket indication that the output is from America. I believe it’s primarily branded separately because it’s broadcast on PBS and BBC America, so has to be a self-contained programme in the same vein as Focus on Africa.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - oscillon - 24-02-2023

(24-02-2023, 01:53 AM)interestednovice Wrote:  BBC World News America is a brand equivalent to BBC News at Six. It is a programme, not a blanket indication that the output is from America. I believe it’s primarily branded separately because it’s broadcast on PBS and BBC America, so has to be a self-contained programme in the same vein as Focus on Africa.
Be that as it may, however, 2am GMT bulletin is also broadcast on some PBS stations, as the presenter usually says "Welcome to our viewers on PBS and around the globe...". Will it also become "BBC World News America" as it is the likely shift to move to the US?

Also, to the best my knowledge, WNA is no longer being broadcast on BBC America. Blimey, Wikipedia says it's been almost good twelve years since it last aired there!
Quote:The program was reduced to a half-hour broadcast on March 28, 2011, and was removed from BBC America

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - matthieu1221 - 24-02-2023

(24-02-2023, 01:24 AM)interestednovice Wrote:  
(24-02-2023, 12:43 AM)Radio_man Wrote:  It'll be interesting to see if the opening "with the latest headlines for viewers in the UK and around the world" is dropped on 6 March as well. It's not used on the overnight simulcasts, presumably because UK viewing figures are miniscule anyway!
Probably, it always struck me as unnecessarily highlighting the simulcast and an annoying delay to actually getting to the headlines. I much prefer the classic: “This is BBC News, I’m whoever, the headlines [at TIME]”. You could still tell when it was a simulcast as references to time were dropped, of course.

They did an even longer and more unwieldy intro for a while during the original Covid lockdowns, to the effect of “This is BBC News, with the latest coronavirus developments here in the U.K. and around the world. I’m whoever.”

This is even more ridiculous when they then go on to say, again, “Welcome if you you are watching in the U.K., or around the world” immediately after the headline sequence!

Pretty trivial in the grand scheme of things but I particularly liked what they used to do on CNN Today. They used to start off with 'it's [time] in [location] where [news headline], [time] in [location] where [news headline]'. In that way, if there's always a UK story weaved into the TOTH, it could double as a time-check without it being obvious that it's a simulcast. But alas no headlines at all it seems?

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Former Member 406 - 24-02-2023

The "no headlines" thing is certainly unexpected. But far preferable to how increasingly flabby the headlines have become over the years (at least on domestic, where it often feels like they go on until about quarter-past! I don't know whether they've remained comparatively tight on World?)

It would be nice if the 1/6/10 etc here in the UK took a leaf out of the same book, by massively tightening-up the headlines to more like how they used to be a decade or two ago, before their duration gradually started creeping-up to being about a sodding fortnight as is the case nowadays.

EDIT: I share ViridianFan's confusion over what's ultimately happening with Studio E. I had always been under the impression that it will ultimately be (after refurbishment) the standard/usual home for most/all of the merged news channel's live rolling output. If that's not the case, then what (if anything) will it be used for?

Will at least the One finally be joining the Six/Ten in studio B as part of the changes? And what about weekend & bank holiday BBC One network bulletins too? When the Six/Ten first moved to B, I had assumed that all remaining BBC One network bulletins would eventually move there too. If not, then where else would weekend & bank holiday network bulletins come from? Maybe D?

harshy - harshy - 24-02-2023

(24-02-2023, 01:34 AM)DTV Wrote:  
(24-02-2023, 01:24 AM)interestednovice Wrote:  However, a comment on studios: the news that A is going to actively be used is very disappointing, frankly. It simply looks terrible. I was hoping that a revamp of E, including work in the newsroom and the former weather balcony / Outside Source area would allow for a solid “main studio” and secondary presentation space; A’s gallery then being used effectively for playout of the U.K. stream only and the studio not appearing on screen.
My reading is that A is only being used for the UK opt in the interim and that they'll move the UK opt to the balcony studio at the same time as E is reopened. Otherwise you'll end up with workmen in the back of shot of either E or J - which probably isn't the greatest backdrop.
It’s a shame to loose the branded programmes, admittably I never quite got Live with Lucy which didn’t really work when Lucy wasn’t there, Impact had great titles from the Mishal Husain era, but the last look really wasn’t very good, and they kept the shiny buildings look even though was never reflected in the current titles, I will miss Global though it had a proper theme tune and fully coloured studio C with the global blue.

As to the studios I misread it as I thought Studio E was going for good…

As to Focus on Africa, I am sure Africans living in this country would find it very useful?

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - bbctvtechop - 24-02-2023

(24-02-2023, 12:41 AM)Josh Wrote:  
(23-02-2023, 11:52 PM)bbctvtechop Wrote:  The output will be fully joined from March 6th with a full launch date of April 3rd. During this transition period, there will be no planned facility for breaking UK news.
Bizarre choice. Presume there's reasoning behind the decision but surely it makes sense to have something there?
I presume if there is something really really worth breaking in for UK audiences we will find a way.

(24-02-2023, 12:45 AM)DTV Wrote:  
(24-02-2023, 12:34 AM)London Lite Wrote:  Presumably BBC Two will also get WBR which then segues into Politics Live.

So I assume this means the last full separate proper News channel hour is the 17:00 next Friday. 
Yes. 

(24-02-2023, 12:54 AM)ALV Wrote:  Still no news on new graphics... not even the slightest speculation... Are we STILL sticking to the 2008 spinning globe intro with Gill Sans place names in the transition period? Ahh the anticipation is killing me...
The email says "new presentational elements ... like countdowns and titles" but doesn't elaborate. I personally haven't seen anything new so if there is a style change it will just be in the video files making up the titles etc, otherwise there would have been weeks of piloting if, for example, all the graphical elements were changing (lower thirds etc) 

(24-02-2023, 12:43 AM)Radio_man Wrote:  It'll be interesting to see if the opening "with the latest headlines for viewers in the UK and around the world" is dropped on 6 March as well. It's not used on the overnight simulcasts, presumably because UK viewing figures are miniscule anyway!

However, a comment on studios: the news that A is going to actively be used is very disappointing, frankly. It simply looks terrible.
Agreed. 

(24-02-2023, 01:24 AM)interestednovice Wrote:  However, a comment on studios: the news that A is going to actively be used is very disappointing, frankly. It simply looks terrible. I was hoping that a revamp of E, including work in the newsroom and the former weather balcony / Outside Source area would allow for a solid “main studio” and secondary presentation space; A’s gallery then being used effectively for playout of the U.K. stream only and the studio not appearing on screen.
My reading is that A is only being used for the UK opt in the interim and that they'll move the UK opt to the balcony studio at the same time as E is reopened. Otherwise you'll end up with workmen in the back of shot of either E or J - which probably isn't the greatest backdrop.
My understanding is that E or J (weather/OS balcony) will not be used at all in the future. Whether that will change once next financial year's money becomes available is unknown.

(23-02-2023, 11:52 PM)bbctvtechop Wrote:  Then at launch everything will comr from C with UK opt outs from A. 
One is left to wonder whether whether they will be able to do a little refurbishment of studio C in the month that it will be empty during daytimes...
This is my assumption. 

(24-02-2023, 01:49 AM)ViridianFan Wrote:  
(23-02-2023, 11:52 PM)bbctvtechop Wrote:  0900-1900 from Studio E, evenings and overnight from C during the transition period. Then at launch everything will comr from C with UK opt outs from A.
This may be me being thick but does this mean that after the transition period and when the new channel launches “officially”, studio E is no longer being used or it’s just a case of everything in studio C whilst E is getting refurbished?
My interpretation is that E will be mothballed. The email is very clear that the "core channel" will be entirely from C except special programmes, and UK opt outs from A.

(24-02-2023, 12:41 AM)Josh Wrote:  
(23-02-2023, 11:52 PM)bbctvtechop Wrote:  The output will be fully joined from March 6th with a full launch date of April 3rd. During this transition period, there will be no planned facility for breaking UK news.
Bizarre choice. Presume there's reasoning behind the decision but surely it makes sense to have something there?
I presume if there is something really really worth breaking in for UK audiences we will find a way.

(24-02-2023, 12:45 AM)DTV Wrote:  
(24-02-2023, 12:34 AM)London Lite Wrote:  Presumably BBC Two will also get WBR which then segues into Politics Live.

So I assume this means the last full separate proper News channel hour is the 17:00 next Friday. 
Yes. 

(24-02-2023, 12:54 AM)ALV Wrote:  Still no news on new graphics... not even the slightest speculation... Are we STILL sticking to the 2008 spinning globe intro with Gill Sans place names in the transition period? Ahh the anticipation is killing me...
The email says "new presentational elements ... like countdowns and titles" but doesn't elaborate. I personally haven't seen anything new so if there is a style change it will just be in the video files making up the titles etc, otherwise there would have been weeks of piloting if, for example, all the graphical elements were changing (lower thirds etc) 

However, a comment on studios: the news that A is going to actively be used is very disappointing, frankly. It simply looks terrible.

My understanding is that E or J (weather/OS balcony) will not be used at all in the future. Whether that will change once next financial year's money becomes available is unknown.

(23-02-2023, 11:52 PM)bbctvtechop Wrote:  Then at launch everything will comr from C with UK opt outs from A. 
One is left to wonder whether whether they will be able to do a little refurbishment of studio C in the month that it will be empty during daytimes...
This is my assumption. 

(24-02-2023, 01:49 AM)ViridianFan Wrote:  
The email is very clear that the "core channel" will come from C (during UK produced hours) and UK opt outs will come from A. I interpret this to mean that E will be mothballed.

As for the UK opt outs...

There will be the ability to opt out on the UK version for domestic breaking news between 0900 and 2300 (doesn't state whether this is 7 or only 5 days a week). As above these will be from Gallery/Studio A and:
Quote:will be able to take control of the UK feed at any moment including during scheduled programmes

A few examples of when the opt out will happen are given:
[list]
[*]Verdict in a court case
[*]A political event especially one not being covered by BBC Parliament
[*]"Continuing coverage when core channel has other commitments" (I presume this means the back half hours on the World version?) 
[/list]

I still don't understand how having a whole studio, gallery, crew, presenter, producer and supporting editorial team ready to go at a moment's notice for 14 hours a day is any cheaper than just producing programmes (using content already being made by the World version and other outlets) for that time anyway, especially if they drop all the live interviews except during breaking news. But those kind of working outs are far beyond my pay grade.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - ViridianFan - 24-02-2023

Thanks for confirming. Like I said I did feel a bit thick asking but I was surprised that E was going be the one mothballed. When you think about it though it does make sense. When it first opened the Newsroom always looked packed, however recently it’s looked more and more empty as I assume the cuts take effect. It doesn’t look great all those monitors blank all the time. I also guess C is easier to change backdrops.

Thanks for confirming. Like I said I did feel a bit thick asking but I was surprised that E was going be the one mothballed. When you think about it though it does make sense. When it first opened the Newsroom always looked packed, however recently it’s looked more and more empty as I assume the cuts take effect. It doesn’t look great all those monitors blank all the time. I also guess C is easier to change backdrops.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - ginnyfan - 24-02-2023

The news about E is shocking and terrible. Sad