Pres Café
BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger (/showthread.php?tid=103)

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Steve in Pudsey - 24-02-2023

Do we know which studio Focus on Africa will use?

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - bbctvtechop - 24-02-2023

(24-02-2023, 09:46 AM)Steve in Pudsey Wrote:  Do we know which studio Focus on Africa will use?

I believe I saw an email in the recent past saying it was moving to L. 

On the subject of L, Newswatch will also move there from this week.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - DTV - 24-02-2023

(24-02-2023, 09:20 AM)bbctvtechop Wrote:  A few examples of when the opt out will happen are given:
[list]
[*]Verdict in a court case
[*]A political event especially one not being covered by BBC Parliament
[*]"Continuing coverage when core channel has other commitments" (I presume this means the back half hours on the World version?)
[/list]
Roughly in in line with what I expected, though I hope UK 'extreme' weather events are included as well - if not purely on embarrassment grounds. I mean, many of BBC World News' key markets are places where actually extreme weather events are semi-regular and have outcomes a bit worse than some bins getting blown over and a car being hit by a tree. I can't imagine, for instance, the reaction of the BBC's many South Asian viewers to hours of coverage of what we in the UK consider 'heavy rain'.

(24-02-2023, 09:20 AM)bbctvtechop Wrote:  
(24-02-2023, 01:49 AM)ViridianFan Wrote:  This may be me being thick but does this mean that after the transition period and when the new channel launches “officially”, studio E is no longer being used or it’s just a case of everything in studio C whilst E is getting refurbished?
The email is very clear that the "core channel" will come from C (during UK produced hours) and UK opt outs will come from A. I interpret this to mean that E will be mothballed.
Though I'd bow to your superior knowledge, other sources have suggested differently in the longer term - maybe a final decision hasn't been made or something similar? As you say, there might be an element of financial years at play here and set reconstructions these days take so long that any 'interim' arrangement is effectively a semi-permanent arrangement anyway. It's just hard to believe that A and C would genuinely be the permanent home of the new channel as C's set in particular must be coming towards the end of its technically useful life.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - interestednovice - 24-02-2023

Yes, I agree with the astonishment expressed by others on the studio decisions!

A has always looked quite bad, amateurish and nowhere near as good as BBC Sport’s virtual sets.

C used to look very good with the London skyline backdrop, but looks absolutely terrible with the fake newsroom backdrop. It has also started to wear out, one would assume, from near-constant use for over a decade.

In fairness coverage of UK extreme weather has been hit and miss with the existing set up. The decision to simulcast World's Mandela obit while various areas were flooding was strange to say the least.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Radio_man - 24-02-2023

We know that if they are prepared to be creative in C, and not just stick with a fake newsroom backdrop, it actually can look quite good.
So if they are prepared to have a new backdrop for general programs (maybe another skyline) and different backdrops for each branded program, it's a more flexible studio than E.
But it does need at least a refresh and it's difficult to see how much of a refresh can be done when it'll still be in use every day, even if just for evenings & overnights, between 6 March - 2 April.

At a guess, C will use a similar backdrop to B?

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Keith - 24-02-2023

(24-02-2023, 11:22 AM)Radio_man Wrote:  But it does need at least a refresh and it's difficult to see how much of a refresh can be done when it'll still be in use every day, even if just for evenings & overnights, between 6 March - 2 April.
Personally I'd have thought they might have used A or D instead of C for this period to allow it to get a refresh, though apparently not.

If it's still being used in the evenings then the most I'd expect to change is maybe the two plasma(?) screens either side of the presenter being replaced with a tower screen as per B/D. Maybe also a new studio B style desk to replace the old one. Those are the only changes I can envisage being done within a short time window. Additionally, any new desk could potentially be moved into another studio in future if C was mothballed.

Replacing the three screens by the catwalk for a large screen (as per B) is probably too much of a push, though maybe limited camera angles for a couple days would allow them to be dismantled and replaced.

Incidentally, this 360 photo of studio C might be of interest to some.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/belowred/8507045596 

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - harshy - 24-02-2023

I think it’s a real shame with studio E it is for me the jewel in the crown of NBH studios the one with the glorious newsroom backdrop.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - DTV - 24-02-2023

(24-02-2023, 12:46 PM)Keith Wrote:  Maybe also a new studio B style desk to replace the old one. Those are the only changes I can envisage being done within a short time window. Additionally, any new desk could potentially be moved into another studio in future if C was mothballed.
No way would you be able to fit a Studio B-style desk on that rostrum. The diameter of the outside edge of the new Studio-B desks is about twice that of the diameter of the old 2013-style desks and not much less than that of the old Studio C and E rostrums. Even if you removed the printer/storage unit, it'd still be too tight to fit in a chair - plus it'd just look horrendously out of place. Towers might also be out owing to the fact they seem to need quite a sizeable footprint for stability and there doesn't look to be too much room between the current base of the plasmas and the Furio tracks.

Also not sure how much substantive work could be done to C without dismantling a large part of the set. The stage door is behind the right-hand lightbox wall - without taking that apart, it would be very difficult to get sizeable set elements in or out of the studio. Even if you could get it through the regular doors, they aren't exactly positioned in a way that would make it easy without dismantling other set elements.