Pres Café
BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger (/showthread.php?tid=103)

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - EverythingFavs - 24-02-2023

Mad that E won't be used again.... Very sad

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - ginnyfan - 24-02-2023

They really seem to want to scale everything down to local news level. Such a shame....

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - TVenthusiasm - 24-02-2023

Really sad to hear about Studio E - it is by far the best of the NBH studios today with that newsroom backdrop and it's sad that the new merged channel will not come from E.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - DTV - 24-02-2023

Given that it was literally a matter of days between some insiders very adamantly stating that Studio B was definitely mothballed for good and another insider revealing that the studio would get a brand new, high tech set, I feel some are being overly definite about Studio E's future - especially considering that, according to an article that was published only four days ago, other insiders have clearly been told that the channel will eventually use the newsroom studio (i.e., E) as its main studio.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - harshy - 24-02-2023

Yeah I got to admit if it was like full fat bbc world news with all the branded programmes with the occasional Uk opt out when needed it may not have been too too bad on a presentational level, but now my expectations are very low.

There’s no way they can make radical changes to studio C in a short amount of time and now we will be stuck with that dreadful news backdrop from a height all the time.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Stockland Hillman - 24-02-2023

(24-02-2023, 01:15 PM)EverythingFavs Wrote:  Mad that E won't be used again.... Very sad
I'd really not take any of the announcements as long term.

Think of it this way: No sensible organisation is going to spend a million pound refitting a studio at the same time as its just disposed of a huge number of staff, and is expecting a backlash from public/media over the changes. 

Same reason the branding rollout hasn't coincided with studio B change.

Just as March is soft launch, expect more changes over next 12 months, probably under guise of extra politics coverage for pending UK GE.

I'd imagine E will get a refit sooner than people here seem to think 

As with BBC Three, don't expect today's BBC strategy will be tomorrow's.

There's a new likely Labour government for the next licence fee settlement, so I'd bet in a new 'online' rolling news service will be proposed to serve 'left behind' older audiences  who've been getting 'misinformation' from Facebook , and new service appears on linear broadcast.

Just think how the media/political/chattering classes as once called will react to GB News being No1 news channel for many slots - how could the BBC abandon an audince to them? they might ask

What's old becomes new. The BBC is particularly good at playing to a Labour policy agenda - that's why media city Salford exists, why Look Hull exists

harshy - harshy - 24-02-2023

(24-02-2023, 10:50 AM)interestednovice Wrote:  Yes, I agree with the astonishment expressed by others on the studio decisions!

A has always looked quite bad, amateurish and nowhere near as good as BBC Sport’s virtual sets.

C used to look very good with the London skyline backdrop, but looks absolutely terrible with the fake newsroom backdrop. It has also started to wear out, one would assume, from near-constant use for over a decade.

The screens in C do look washed out but it’s due to the dreadful background, and next to the seat looks likes someone dropped coffee beans which has never been swept away.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Radio_man - 24-02-2023

(24-02-2023, 02:22 PM)Stockland Hillman Wrote:  
(24-02-2023, 01:15 PM)EverythingFavs Wrote:  Mad that E won't be used again.... Very sad
I'd really not take any of the announcements as long term.

Think of it this way: No sensible organisation is going to spend a million pound refitting a studio at the same time as its just disposed of a huge number of staff, and is expecting a backlash from public/media over the changes. 
I doubt most of the public are aware of the cuts that are currently happening at BBC News. My dad is 69 and watches BBC News every day, but he only watches the 1, 6 or 10 on BBC 1. If he wants news updates at any other time, he goes to the BBC news app or listens to a TOTH radio news update. He never watches the News Channel. He's not aware of any cuts to BBC News operations, and only knows about the merger of the NC and World cos I've told him about it.

As far as he's concerned, BBC 1 bulletins have a shiny new studio, the BBC 1 bulletins are the same quality as they've always been, if not better thanks to studio B, and even Wales Today has a shiny new studio. Outside of the media industry bubble and forums like this, don't assume that the wider public are aware of, or even care about, the deep cuts happening to BBC News away from the protected status of domestic BBC 1 bulletins.

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Stockland Hillman - 24-02-2023

(24-02-2023, 02:47 PM)Radio_man Wrote:  
(24-02-2023, 02:22 PM)Stockland Hillman Wrote:  I'd really not take any of the announcements as long term.

I doubt most of the public are aware of the cuts that are currently happening at BBC News. My dad is 69 and watches BBC News every day, but he only watches the 1, 6 or 10 on BBC 1. He never watches the News Channel. He's not aware of any cuts to BBC News operations, and only knows about the merger of the NC and World cos I've told him about it.

As far as he's concerned, BBC 1 bulletins have a shiny new studio, the BBC 1 bulletins are the same quality as they've always been, if not better thanks to studio B, and even Wales Today has a shiny new studio. Outside of the media industry bubble and forums like this, don't assume that the wider public are aware of, or even care about, the deep cuts happening to BBC News away from the protected status of domestic BBC 1 bulletins.

True to an extent,  but in a era when a sick day for Lorraine can generate 10s of stories and hundreds of thousand clicks it's naive to think it's not an issue to cut jobs and spend money on 'flatter screens' screens turned sideways  and smaller wheels on the cameras (as it could be simply written to explain to a 69 year old) BBC Waste! Outrage!

RE: BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger - Radio_man - 24-02-2023

(24-02-2023, 03:06 PM)Stockland Hillman Wrote:  
(24-02-2023, 02:47 PM)Radio_man Wrote:  I doubt most of the public are aware of the cuts that are currently happening at BBC News. My dad is 69 and watches BBC News every day, but he only watches the 1, 6 or 10 on BBC 1. He never watches the News Channel. He's not aware of any cuts to BBC News operations, and only knows about the merger of the NC and World cos I've told him about it.

True to an extent,  but in a era when a sick day for Lorraine can generate 10s of stories and hundreds of thousand clicks it's naive to think it's not an issue to cut jobs and spend money on 'flatter screens' screens turned sideways  and smaller wheels on the cameras (as it could be simply written to explain to a 69 year old) BBC Waste! Outrage!
Well thankfully he doesn't read the Daily Mail either, so he's unlikely to read stories of Outrage! about the BBC News Channel being cut back.