Pres Café
Sunday with Laura Kuenssberg - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Sunday with Laura Kuenssberg (/showthread.php?tid=119)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35

RE: Sunday with Laura Kuenssberg - DTV - 19-02-2023

(19-02-2023, 02:29 PM)London Lite Wrote:  Bar PMQs, I've stopped watching Politics Live which compared to the Daily Politics is more akin to the French round table debate format and Kuenssberg is too much talking heads.  I didn't mind the newspaper review of Marr which was one segment where you usually got some decent analysis followed by the political interviews and culture segment.
Honestly, I just swerve so much of the BBC's political TV output these days - the only decent (solely politics) thing they do is Politics UK, the rest falls into either being unbelievably anodyne or blatantly trying to get 'controversial' clips for social media (or sometimes both). Actual public service dedicated political programming has pretty much been eliminated - you have to go to radio or Newsnight if you want policy analysis, parliamentary reviews, tough interviews, etc.

While I appreciate they wanted to find something for their former political editor, I just don't think Kuenssberg was the right fit for the slot. Marr worked because he was amiable and a tough (though not in a Paxman way) interviewer - which is basically what you want for your Sunday morning political host.

RE: Sunday with Laura Kuenssberg - Kojak - 19-02-2023

(19-02-2023, 03:04 PM)DTV Wrote:  
(19-02-2023, 02:29 PM)London Lite Wrote:  Bar PMQs, I've stopped watching Politics Live which compared to the Daily Politics is more akin to the French round table debate format and Kuenssberg is too much talking heads.  I didn't mind the newspaper review of Marr which was one segment where you usually got some decent analysis followed by the political interviews and culture segment.
Honestly, I just swerve so much of the BBC's political TV output these days - the only decent (solely politics) thing they do is Politics UK, the rest falls into either being unbelievably anodyne or blatantly trying to get 'controversial' clips for social media (or sometimes both). Actual public service dedicated political programming has pretty much been eliminated - you have to go to radio or Newsnight if you want policy analysis, parliamentary reviews, tough interviews, etc.

While I appreciate they wanted to find something for their former political editor, I just don't think Kuenssberg was the right fit for the slot. Marr worked because he was amiable and a tough (though not in a Paxman way) interviewer - which is basically what you want for your Sunday morning political host.
I don’t think Kuenssberg fits the slot either, to be honest. Being totally brutal, I think I would have moved her off that slot after the first show, when Joe Lycett showed her up brilliantly. In another world I think it could and would have been Huw Edwards. Maybe when Laura inevitably defects to Global in 2025…

RE: Sunday with Laura Kuenssberg - all new phil - 19-02-2023

I mean, she’s fine and the show is fine.

RE: Sunday with Laura Kuenssberg - Jon - 19-02-2023

(19-02-2023, 06:10 PM)Kojak Wrote:  
(19-02-2023, 03:04 PM)DTV Wrote:  Honestly, I just swerve so much of the BBC's political TV output these days - the only decent (solely politics) thing they do is Politics UK, the rest falls into either being unbelievably anodyne or blatantly trying to get 'controversial' clips for social media (or sometimes both). Actual public service dedicated political programming has pretty much been eliminated - you have to go to radio or Newsnight if you want policy analysis, parliamentary reviews, tough interviews, etc.

I don’t think Kuenssberg fits the slot either, to be honest. Being totally brutal, I think I would have moved her off that slot after the first show, when Joe Lycett showed her up brilliantly. In another world I think it could and would have been Huw Edwards. Maybe when Laura inevitably defects to Global in 2025…
I’m indifferent to Kuenssberg but if you see the Joe Lycett thing as a problem that’s surely more a problem with the format than the host. Not sure how Huw Edwards would have handled it differently.

RE: Sunday with Laura Kuenssberg - Andrew - 19-02-2023

I don’t think she is warm enough for a Sunday morning slot, she’s so closely linked to her style of political reporting over the years, it just seems awkward when she does non political arts and culture interviews. A decade from now you could imagine ‘Sunday with Chris Mason’ having a much warmer natural feel.

I’m not a fan of the format with the panel, or the lack of paper review, or the ‘what have we learnt this morning’ summing up (which generally is nothing) or indeed the theme music which along with the bed is basically 2 minutes of downbeat piano

To add to the cold feel, I’m not entirely sure the studio helps either

RE: Sunday with Laura Kuenssberg - Kojak - 20-02-2023

(19-02-2023, 07:15 PM)Jon Wrote:  
(19-02-2023, 06:10 PM)Kojak Wrote:  I don’t think Kuenssberg fits the slot either, to be honest. Being totally brutal, I think I would have moved her off that slot after the first show, when Joe Lycett showed her up brilliantly. In another world I think it could and would have been Huw Edwards. Maybe when Laura inevitably defects to Global in 2025…
I’m indifferent to Kuenssberg but if you see the Joe Lycett thing as a problem that’s surely more a problem with the format than the host. Not sure how Huw Edwards would have handled it differently.
Well yes, Jon, both are problems in my eyes. The format is weak and padded-out, and Kuenssberg is not the best interviewer, who can’t control the discussion very well. The whole Lycett thing (whilst very very funny) had the air of a nervous supply teacher struggling to deal with an unruly class.

RE: Sunday with Laura Kuenssberg - Matrix - 20-02-2023

(20-02-2023, 12:12 AM)Kojak Wrote:  
(19-02-2023, 07:15 PM)Jon Wrote:  I’m indifferent to Kuenssberg but if you see the Joe Lycett thing as a problem that’s surely more a problem with the format than the host. Not sure how Huw Edwards would have handled it differently.
Well yes, Jon, both are problems in my eyes. The format is weak and padded-out, and Kuenssberg is not the best interviewer, who can’t control the discussion very well. The whole Lycett thing (whilst very very funny) had the air of a nervous supply teacher struggling to deal with an unruly class.
I think we need to be careful not to mix the production from the personal. I'd agree that some of the features of the programme, like the sum-up, don't really work in their current form. That said, the panel discussion--speaking personally--I think works really well. I'm not too bothered either way on the paper front. 

But then we come to the personal. I don't agree. Huw, along with any presenter, would have struggled with a guest heckling another guest. It's worth baring in mind that Laura is one of the best in the business and it's not just the on-screen that she brings but a wealth of contacts, behind the scenes production assistance, and insider insight. To compare that to a supply teacher seems a little on the harsh side.

RE: Sunday with Laura Kuenssberg - Kojak - 20-02-2023

(20-02-2023, 10:10 AM)Matrix Wrote:  
(20-02-2023, 12:12 AM)Kojak Wrote:  Well yes, Jon, both are problems in my eyes. The format is weak and padded-out, and Kuenssberg is not the best interviewer, who can’t control the discussion very well. The whole Lycett thing (whilst very very funny) had the air of a nervous supply teacher struggling to deal with an unruly class.
I think we need to be careful not to mix the production from the personal. I'd agree that some of the features of the programme, like the sum-up, don't really work in their current form. That said, the panel discussion--speaking personally--I think works really well. I'm not too bothered either way on the paper front. 

But then we come to the personal. I don't agree. Huw, along with any presenter, would have struggled with a guest heckling another guest. It's worth baring in mind that Laura is one of the best in the business and it's not just the on-screen that she brings but a wealth of contacts, behind the scenes production assistance, and insider insight. To compare that to a supply teacher seems a little on the harsh side.
Look, I am not for one minute doubting Laura’s knowledge, or credentials as a journalist. I am just not necessarily convinced that she is the right fit for that show. I don’t particularly agree with how she seemed to automatically get that gig by dint of having been political editor.

RE: Sunday with Laura Kuenssberg - bilky asko - 12-03-2023

At the end of today's edition, the credits (and credits music) restarted at the end of the show, rather than cutting to the endcap.

RE: Sunday with Laura Kuenssberg - alfiejmulcahy - 12-03-2023

Today's programme doesn't seem to be on iPlayer yet, do we know if there's any particular reason?