Pres Café
Sunday with Laura Kuenssberg - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Sunday with Laura Kuenssberg (/showthread.php?tid=119)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35

RE: Sunday with Laura Kuenssberg - Randomuser123 - 16-04-2023

Sorry for using jib rather than “some form of human driven camera” for the confusion it caused.

RE: Sunday with Laura Kuenssberg - Stuart - 16-04-2023

(16-04-2023, 08:38 PM)alfiejmulcahy Wrote:  Take a look at the opening shot by the monolith, the intro shot for the guests and the shot directly after the titles, you can clearly see parallax that is characteristic of a 3-axis steadicam when the operator is walking (a bobbing up and down - look just past the monlith in the first shot). Most steadicams or cameras on gimbals can't stabilise an up-down motion like they can with pitch, roll and yaw. It is my understanding that you wouldn't get this parallax with the automated Electric Friends cameras as they are mounted to a rigid base that is able to move directly in a single direction.
A Steadicam doesn't 'bob up and down'! The clue is in the name.

I guess they managed to fix whatever issue you think they had on a Sunday morning within the space of an hour and end up with a very smooth closing shot from the same EF camera they'd used at the start. Blimey, that engineer must have been on speed dial and close by.

RE: Sunday with Laura Kuenssberg - aaron_scotland - 16-04-2023

(16-04-2023, 08:49 PM)Stuart Wrote:  
(16-04-2023, 08:38 PM)alfiejmulcahy Wrote:  Take a look at the opening shot by the monolith, the intro shot for the guests and the shot directly after the titles, you can clearly see parallax that is characteristic of a 3-axis steadicam when the operator is walking (a bobbing up and down - look just past the monlith in the first shot). Most steadicams or cameras on gimbals can't stabilise an up-down motion like they can with pitch, roll and yaw. It is my understanding that you wouldn't get this parallax with the automated Electric Friends cameras as they are mounted to a rigid base that is able to move directly in a single direction.
A Steadicam doesn't 'bob up and down'! The clue is in the name.

I guess they managed to fix whatever issue you think they had on a Sunday morning within the space of an hour and end up with a very smooth closing shot from the same EF camera they'd used at the start. Blimey, that engineer must have been on speed dial and close by.

Im thinking it was possibly a hand held gimbal rather than a full sized steadicam, DJI Ronan maybe.

The closing shot was deffo from the tower cam, you could see a smudge from the autocue glass. But the other shots were handheld.

RE: Sunday with Laura Kuenssberg - Spencer - 16-04-2023

(16-04-2023, 09:10 PM)aaron_scotland Wrote:  
(16-04-2023, 08:49 PM)Stuart Wrote:  A Steadicam doesn't 'bob up and down'! The clue is in the name.

Im thinking it was possibly a hand held gimbal rather than a full sized steadicam, DJI Ronan maybe.
More likely a DJI Ronin. The DJI Ronan makes everything look like life is a rollercoaster.

RE: Sunday with Laura Kuenssberg - DTV - 16-04-2023

(16-04-2023, 08:39 PM)aaron_scotland Wrote:  Yup as a photographer Im on your side, the shot at 03:45 into the program is clearly manual, the shot is moving slightly up/down side to side as if its being held by a human. Those tower cams are rigid.
Yeah, that 03:45 shot has a very clear wobble to it, with some of the later at-desk shots nearly coming right up to the desk and/or in line with where the ramp is - seems improbable not to be a handheld camera and, if it was from a floor-based camera, you'd want to get somebody to check the wheels. Plus, the super-low shot during the interviews is almost level with the rostrum, whereas the base of the 'electricfiends' cameras is very clearly chunkier than that - even if their near-mythic height flexibility was true, I doubt it can get that low.

And, as I think somebody else mentioned, seems very odd to credit two camera operators if you are using just robot cameras - Newsnight typically only credit two and they use manual pedestal cameras.

RE: Sunday with Laura Kuenssberg - lepeterrr - 16-04-2023

And go back to last week and try and tell me the opening shot was done by the ElectricFriends cameras...

(16-04-2023, 09:32 PM)lepeterrr Wrote:  And go back to last week and try and tell me the opening shot was done by the ElectricFriends cameras...
It wasn't done by anyone. There was no programme last week. Confused

RE: Sunday with Laura Kuenssberg - alfiejmulcahy - 16-04-2023

(16-04-2023, 09:50 PM)Stuart Wrote:  
(16-04-2023, 09:32 PM)lepeterrr Wrote:  And go back to last week and try and tell me the opening shot was done by the ElectricFriends cameras...
It wasn't done by anyone. There was no programme last week. Confused

I think it's clear that lepeterr meant the edition from 2 weeks ago. But he's right, there is no way that that shot was achieved with one of the automated cameras. Considering that the camera crosses one of the tracks - and it definitely couldn't have been achieved with zoom because the perspective changes.

I'm sure one of our insider friends can enlighten us next week as to whether anything different happened today. Big Grin

RE: Sunday with Laura Kuenssberg - PATV Scunthorpe - 16-04-2023

To put my two pence worth in, there is certainly an extra camera being used, take this shot for example...
https://up.metropol247.co.uk/PATV%20Scunthorpe/KuenssburgCamera.png 
... you can see the autocue hood of the camera used to capture the catwalk just peaking in at right hand edge of the image, so that rules out that camera, but also by looking back at earlier pictures posted of the whole Studio B set up, even though you could say it was taken via the camera usually used for the main monolith and the one which performed the pan for the credits, I just don't think you could get the camera to have such an open field of view to show the ceiling while the positioning of the shot is basically right on top of where the catwalk platform begins and given how far away the track is from the platform, it has to be an extra camera, as others have mentioned, probably not a steadicam, but I could certainly see the model of gimbal suggested.