Pres Café
Sunday with Laura Kuenssberg - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Sunday with Laura Kuenssberg (/showthread.php?tid=119)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34

RE: Sunday with Laura Kuenssberg - Spencer - 05-09-2023

(05-09-2023, 02:13 PM)interestednovice Wrote:  I think it goes back to trying to create a Sunday magazine show (rather like a Sunday paper’s various sections) instead of a show that is politics in it’s entirety.

I don’t feel that a purely hard-debating politics programme can find a decent audience on a Sunday morning. If the programme is basically Hardtalk but with an added panel, casual viewers won’t be interested. If you water down the content to be “accessible” to people who don’t really follow politics, it becomes too anodyne and simplistic for the politics-keen viewer that the programme ought to naturally attract. So you have to tread a fine line to allow a wide audience but also not alienate the “core audience” of the political nut, to put it bluntly.

This difficult balance is why there have historically been other sections to this sort of programme, which also doubles as a sort-of news programme and even look ahead at the week.

This is essentially what I was alluding to in my earlier comments that the show wasn’t really working because it simultaneously tries to be purely politics but also attract a casual viewer - so it’s something that seems simplistic to a politically-minded viewer but also too argumentative to a casual viewer. A bit of a “reset” with other programme segments helps make the overall programme tone more cordial even if you do sometimes have hard interviews throughout the slot.
I totally get where you're coming from. And I think we're sort of in agreement. A programme based on two unconnected topics (politics and the arts) seems a bit odd. If there's a wider blend, it makes a bit more sense.

I'll be honest though, I don't remember this slot featuring any other topics... other than a quick read of the headlines and a weather update.

RE: Sunday with Laura Kuenssberg - Brekkie - 05-09-2023

Worth remembering the BBC used to have two national Sunday morning political programmes, the second of which specifically dedicated to it which gave the first more freedom to do other things.

RE: Sunday with Laura Kuenssberg - JasonB - 05-09-2023

As a casual viewer, i cringe at these weekend politics shows and ask myself if the nation needs to be discussing politics at 9am on a Sunday morning?

RE: Sunday with Laura Kuenssberg - Spencer - 05-09-2023

(05-09-2023, 03:17 PM)JasonB Wrote:  As a casual viewer, i cringe at these weekend politics shows and ask myself if the nation needs to be discussing politics at 9am on a Sunday morning?
Probably not, but it was always explained to me as a handy way of generating news stories on the quietest day of the week.

RE: Sunday with Laura Kuenssberg - neonemesis - 05-09-2023

I have always assumed that the Sunday politics tradition was born from the more editorial, opinion and magazine nature of the Sunday papers. If you look at the way Marr was structured it feels much more like the content from the broadsheets on a Sunday - News, Politics, National Debate, Weather, Culture and Arts.

RE: Sunday with Laura Kuenssberg - Andrew - 05-09-2023

(05-09-2023, 03:17 PM)JasonB Wrote:  As a casual viewer, i cringe at these weekend politics shows and ask myself if the nation needs to be discussing politics at 9am on a Sunday morning?

When it was more of a Sunday broadsheet paper, with a warm host, warm studio, sat in armchairs, a bit of news to get you up to date, a chat about the papers, a political interview but also other items, it was a nice way to start a Sunday

A cold host in a cold studio, argumentative politics interviews throughout except for a bit where they talk about space travel for 5 minutes on zoom, and a panel of deliberately partisan commentators, the same people you’ve already seen that week no doubt, also arguing, only booked because you know they’ll say something extreme which will be ideal to clip up and go viral on Twitter, is less pleasant 

By 10am many people are probably all worked up and annoyed, which is good for those people who talk politics on Twitter 24/7 which seems to be who these endless ‘panel’ shows are aimed at, but not ideal for everyone else when it’s meant to be a relaxing day

RE: Sunday with Laura Kuenssberg - XIII - 06-09-2023

With Marr and indeed Frost before him, they were genuinely interested in the arts and culture whereas Laura I suspect probably isn't.

RE: Sunday with Laura Kuenssberg - leewilliams - 06-09-2023

(06-09-2023, 01:46 PM)XIII Wrote:  With Marr and indeed Frost before him, they were genuinely interested in the arts and culture whereas Laura I suspect probably isn't.
I’m not sure Laura’s interested in much else other than herself - staff at Millbank have told me it was pretty miserable working with her and things have improved significantly since she moved out and got the weekly telly gig away from the main politics team.

RE: Sunday with Laura Kuenssberg - Omnipresent - 06-09-2023

If the BBC had the courage to be genuinely bold & distinctive it should:

- Axe all newspaper reviews

- End the use of panels of pundits

- End "two people sparring in a studio" discussions

- End the use of full time attention seekers / contrarians to provide "balance" to guests with genuine expertise / experience

RE: Sunday with Laura Kuenssberg - NickyBoy - 12-09-2023

(06-09-2023, 10:38 PM)Omnipresent Wrote:  If the BBC had the courage to be genuinely bold & distinctive it should:

- Axe all newspaper reviews

- End the use of panels of pundits

- End "two people sparring in a studio" discussions

- End the use of full time attention seekers / contrarians to provide "balance" to guests with genuine expertise / experience

While I see the point of some these ideas, what do you suggest they replace them with, as a lot of these make up a fair percentage of air time for them, and other stations as well.