Pres Café
Sunday with Laura Kuenssberg - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Sunday with Laura Kuenssberg (/showthread.php?tid=119)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35

RE: Sunday with Laura Kuenssberg - Rolling News - 23-09-2023

This will make Victoria the first relief presenter of Sunday with Laura Kuenssberg.

It will also be the first time Victoria has presented from B since her show ended in March 2020.

RE: Sunday with Laura Kuenssberg - London Lite - 23-09-2023

It won't be a VD show unless there's a mini audience like she had on Newsnight in the week and on her old BBC2 show.

RE: Sunday with Laura Kuenssberg - ViridianFan - 24-09-2023

I’ve never been able to make my mind up on Victoria Derbyshire. There is no doubt she is a fearsome interviewer. I do like how she doesn’t back down from her line if questioning when politicians are avoiding the question. I think it’s the to the point approach she has where she’s bluntly says things along the lines of “you’ve avoiding the questioning” or “you just won’t say it” or just simply repeating the question. 

However there are times when this focus on her question that she can prevent the guest answering properly, for example during the interview with Ed Davey when he explaining how building social housing would help improve housing stock overall she kept cutting him off reasking the question.

Not a regular view of Kunessburg, but from the odd bits I’ve seen Victoria does seem a much better fit. The format does need some changes. 
I can see why they have the panel but I sometimes wonder instead of the usual talking heads if they had members of the public. Whilst I am not normally a fan of the vox pox I wonder if in this situation as it’s a discussion there would be more benefit to it, how do they think it would impact them, what questions do they still have, is it something they’re worried about. I do think it misses that cultural element too. 

Whilst technologically it’s impressive, the more I look at B the more it just doesn’t work as a space. It comes across very cold and harsh. I think it’s a mixture of the straight lines and corners along with the screens (as impressive as they are) which are so bright you miss the softness of the curves and more softly light back drop.  It feels very soulless. Studio E, the old news 24 studio the original 1999 studio was much softer and warmer. This has gone back to that sterile look that of the 2008 rebrand. The use of space just feels strange. The staircase is a lovely touch, but it would have made more sense to have it in a corner or not at all as the main presenting points feel crammed it whilst at the same time it feels like that there is loads of empty space.

RE: Sunday with Laura Kuenssberg - Brekkie - 24-09-2023

It would be good to see Studio B in a colour scheme other than predominantly white to see if that makes it feel less harsh.

Do think it's just too vast too - if they'd designed it more to use one half for the news and the other half to be more flexible for other programming, but the ability to use both sides when necessary, I think it might work much better as a space.

As for Victoria Derbyshire I do think she's getting better and better - her style somewhat catches politicians who probably underestimate her off guard.

I actually also think her former show could have suited the Sunday morning slot quite nicely - more of a social issues show rather than political but having political guests as part of that would not be out of place. It could also to an extent tick the same box Sunday Morning Live does so one show could cover both of what the two live Sunday shows do.

RE: Sunday with Laura Kuenssberg - Stuart - 24-09-2023

(24-09-2023, 11:03 AM)Brekkie Wrote:  It would be good to see Studio B in a colour scheme other than predominantly white to see if that makes it feel less harsh.

Do think it's just too vast too - if they'd designed it more to use one half for the news and the other half to be more flexible for other programming, but the ability to use both sides when necessary, I think it might work much better as a space.
They did a report from the catwalk one day last week on a space related topic (I didn't get a cap) which was predominantly lit in dark blue above the screen. It suited a late night bulletin so much better than clinical white.

I also think that whilst it's a technological marvel, and probably the culmination of someone's wet dream as a teenager, it comes across as rather soulless. I feel as if they're presenting from an empty warehouse.

Having the presenter run a half marathon around the studio just to show off different presentation points leaves me feeling quite exhausted by the end of the programme.  I need to have a lie down afterwards. Wink

RE: Sunday with Laura Kuenssberg - strollfan - 24-09-2023

Agreed that Derbyshire suits the format much better. Kuenssberg is a journalist, not a presenter, and she has not truly settled into this role.

It's quite telling that you don't hear of major interviews or moments from the show anymore in the way you did when Marr was host, the only time I'd say the show has seen any wider attention online was when Joe Lycett made a bit of a mockery of it. It doesn't really sit as a big-hitting political show, which I think it wants to be, and it doesn't focus enough on social or cultural issues to make it an alternative to a normal politics show. It's just not filling a gap in the market, and it's not good enough to succeed in spit of that.

RE: Sunday with Laura Kuenssberg - bilky asko - 24-09-2023

I don't watch regularly, so I don't know if it's still a thing, but I noticed that the programme finished before 10 o'clock rather than overrun by a couple of minutes, which is also a plus.

Andrew - Andrew - 24-09-2023

(24-09-2023, 02:44 PM)strollfan Wrote:  Agreed that Derbyshire suits the format much better. Kuenssberg is a journalist, not a presenter, and she has not truly settled into this role.

It's quite telling that you don't hear of major interviews or moments from the show anymore in the way you did when Marr was host, the only time I'd say the show has seen any wider attention online was when Joe Lycett made a bit of a mockery of it. It doesn't really sit as a big-hitting political show, which I think it wants to be, and it doesn't focus enough on social or cultural issues to make it an alternative to a normal politics show. It's just not filling a gap in the market, and it's not good enough to succeed in spit of that.

Do you think that’s because we now have the daily televised media round that continued after COVID

So a minister being interviewed on a Sunday is no different to the ministers being interviewed on Breakfast/GMB/Sky on Monday to Friday

And all the interviews are pretty identical - minister being asked about something outside their responsibility and just trying to answer so to not disagree or accidentally announce something

RE: Sunday with Laura Kuenssberg - ViridianFan - 24-09-2023

more defined areas and something other than white could improve it no end. I’ve also never been a fan of the black floors. Im guessing it must be more practical and probably better for the cameras but it makes the white even harsher. The plastic grey look to the desk just makes it look cheap. If they wanted that design they should have made it similar to the politics live one. 

I think you’ve hit on something about the daily media round. We have a MP everyday so they get a grilling on the previous days announcements and disasters! 

I have to admit Victoria has grown on me. I really wasn’t a fan when she started her own show. My opinion changed that top of the hour when she couldn’t get her shoes on.  I think it was the way she just walked on, apologised for the delay and cracked on with it. I do love that she really does hold mps to account when there are others who just let then get away with it. 

I do think her and her old show format would be a much better fit. Laura again, I’ve never been able to make my mind up. In the document series she’s brilliant I just don’t think she’s great at live.

RE: Sunday with Laura Kuenssberg - DeMarkay - 24-09-2023

(24-09-2023, 05:21 PM)bilky asko Wrote:  I don't watch regularly, so I don't know if it's still a thing, but I noticed that the programme finished before 10 o'clock rather than overrun by a couple of minutes, which is also a plus.

That’s what happens when you have a professional presenting the programme and not an amateur.