Pres Café
Sunday with Laura Kuenssberg - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Sunday with Laura Kuenssberg (/showthread.php?tid=119)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34

RE: Sunday with Laura Kuenssberg - Ash101 - 24-09-2023

(24-09-2023, 08:06 PM)DeMarkay Wrote:  That’s what happens when you have a professional presenting the programme and not an amateur.

What do you mean by this? Laura doesn’t control when the programme goes off air?

Looking at iPlayer, last weeks episode was 58 minutes.

RE: Sunday with Laura Kuenssberg - AaronTV - 24-09-2023

(24-09-2023, 08:06 PM)DeMarkay Wrote:  That’s what happens when you have a professional presenting the programme and not an amateur.

What a truly silly thing to say.

RE: Sunday with Laura Kuenssberg - harshy - 24-09-2023

(24-09-2023, 09:22 PM)AaronTV Wrote:  What a truly silly thing to say.

I did have a brief look, it seems Victoria seems more suited to this show, shes seems to ask the questions and isnt afraid to ask the vital questions, whilst Laura whilst she does, I dont know Victoria seems to be better at it.

RE: Sunday with Laura Kuenssberg - DeMarkay - 24-09-2023

(24-09-2023, 09:22 PM)AaronTV Wrote:  What a truly silly thing to say.

It’s not a silly thing at all. Laura was a fantastic political editor, no doubt about it. However, she is not suited to be a presenter.

RE: Sunday with Laura Kuenssberg - Rolling News - 24-09-2023

I do like Victoria’s style as she always manages to make whoever she’s interviewing wet themselves. However Laura seems like a nicer person and for this reason makes her more ideal for a Sunday morning programme.

RE: Sunday with Laura Kuenssberg - UTVLifer - 24-09-2023

(24-09-2023, 11:03 AM)Brekkie Wrote:  As for Victoria Derbyshire I do think she's getting better and better - her style somewhat catches politicians who probably underestimate her off guard. 

I actually also think her former show could have suited the Sunday morning slot quite nicely - more of a social issues show rather than political but having political guests as part of that would not be out of place.  It could also to an extent tick the same box Sunday Morning Live does so one show could cover both of what the two live Sunday shows do.

Although I was hesitant at the time when they announced she was replacing Maitlis on Newsnight, Victoria has mastered the Sophy Ridge style/artform of catching the politicians off guard by feeling them in and then going for them. 

Also, thinking about next year's election without going too far into fantasy rota land, but with Andrew Neil and Emily Maitlis both having gone since the 2019 GE, I could quite easily imagine Victoria playing a bigger role in the coverage, either on the night or talking over from Maitlis as on the Friday morning.

RE: Sunday with Laura Kuenssberg - Scrotnig - 24-09-2023

Victoria Derbyshire is very much underrated and hasn’t always been treated well at the BBC.

She did a great job of LK’s show today, it shows that the format is actually fine.

RE: Sunday with Laura Kuenssberg - DTV - 25-09-2023

(24-09-2023, 10:01 PM)DeMarkay Wrote:  Laura was a fantastic political editor, no doubt about it.
Not sure there are no doubts about it.

Indeed, many would view her and Peston's tenure as the two most senior political journalists in the country as something of a nadir in political coverage, owing to the fact neither seem to have much interest in politics beyond 'who's in, who's out' gossip, with very little interest in policy; though, to be fair, this is also a Lobby-wide issue. Additionally, both have a tendency to just uncritically repeat stuff - particularly on Twitter - that they've received from sources, without assessing whether that information is true.

The role Kuenssberg was suited to was when she was the News channel's Chief Political Correspondent - i.e., giving a running commentary of what is going in Westminster throughout the day. I can't say I rated her as political editor and her interviewing style lacks depth, responsiveness and doesn't really challenge.

RE: Sunday with Laura Kuenssberg - Luc - 25-09-2023

(25-09-2023, 09:30 AM)DTV Wrote:  Not sure there are no doubts about it.

Indeed, many would view her and Peston's tenure as the two most senior political journalists in the country as something of a nadir in political coverage, owing to the fact neither seem to have much interest in politics beyond 'who's in, who's out' gossip, with very little interest in policy; though, to be fair, this is also a Lobby-wide issue. Additionally, both have a tendency to just uncritically repeat stuff - particularly on Twitter - that they've received from sources, without assessing whether that information is true.
Yes, was going to point out - there are loads of doubts! Her time was summed up by her quote tweeting other journalists' scoops with rebuttals from Boris Johnson's strategist Dominic Cummings! It's thought to be one of the reasons the Beeb turned to Chris Mason to offer a bit more analysis rather than government framed leaks and lobby gossip. 
Surprised Peston is still at ITV News, feels a bit of an expensive luxury at an organisation which prides itself on being nimble when he just shows up to opine nowadays.
Agree with those who liked VD on the show yesterday, she was really sharp in questioning and far more dynamic than the usual presenter.

RE: Sunday with Laura Kuenssberg - Scratch_Perry - 25-09-2023

(25-09-2023, 01:00 PM)Luc Wrote:  Yes, was going to point out - there are loads of doubts! Her time was summed up by her quote tweeting other journalists' scoops with rebuttals from Boris Johnson's strategist Dominic Cummings! It's thought to be one of the reasons the Beeb turned to Chris Mason to offer a bit more analysis rather than government framed leaks and lobby gossip. 
Surprised Peston is still at ITV News, feels a bit of an expensive luxury at an organisation which prides itself on being nimble when he just shows up to opine nowadays.
Agree with those who liked VD on the show yesterday, she was really sharp in questioning and far more dynamic than the usual presenter.
The BBC turned to Chris Mason as an afterthought; remember he originally didn't apply for the job (neither did Deputy PolEd Vicki Young, though that was for personal reasons) and their initial shortlist comprised of Pippa Crerar (then of the Daily Mirror, now Guardian PolEd), Sophy Ridge (Sky News) and Anushka Asthana (Robert Peston's deputy at ITV News), but none of them fitted the bill, so the Beeb went back to the drawing board and appointed Mason.