Pres Café
Sunday with Laura Kuenssberg - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Sunday with Laura Kuenssberg (/showthread.php?tid=119)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35

RE: Sunday with Laura Kuenssberg - UTVLifer - 25-09-2023

Laura's recent series, State of Chaos has reminded me how great she is at that kind of in depth analysis/overviewing of events, which she's not really been able to do any of in the Sunday 9am slot.

RE: Sunday with Laura Kuenssberg - Ash101 - 26-09-2023

(25-09-2023, 07:04 PM)UTVLifer Wrote:  Laura's recent series, State of Chaos has reminded me how great she is at that kind of in depth analysis/overviewing of events, which she's not really been able to do any of in the Sunday 9am slot.

Yes agree, that's been a really great series. But I must admit I enjoyed Victoria more yesterday morning.

Hard to know what to do with a former political editor I guess, especially with Today running at capacity with number of presenters!

RE: Sunday with Laura Kuenssberg - UTVLifer - 01-10-2023

That interview with the PM was painful at times to watch, what with Sunak's non-answering of questions and Laura's constant interruptions. Oh and there was a wordcloud.

At least they've got a decent panel this week though, which has helped make the show a bit more watchable compared to some other weeks.

Unlike last year, they haven't taken the red chairs and coffee table on the road for party conference season, instead they've got some grey swivel chairs and what looks like a camping coffee table in Salford this morning.

RE: Sunday with Laura Kuenssberg - Spencer - 01-10-2023

Are they broadcasting from directly above the old BBC Breakfast (and current NWT) studio in Quay House? The space has a similar wedge shaped corner.

RE: Sunday with Laura Kuenssberg - Ash101 - 01-10-2023

You can see a very prominent ITV logo on a building in the background, which is quite amusing when they’re going quite tight on the panel shots to try and avoid most of it.

https://x.com/stuartmhoney/status/1708399187379843583 

https://x.com/beetrootrabbit/status/1708392944397418799 

RE: Sunday with Laura Kuenssberg - Jon - 01-10-2023

It was very present on their studio based Rugby League World Cup studio based presentation last year, considering that was a virtual studio it would have been even easier to avoid it for that. But they overlooked it.

RE: Sunday with Laura Kuenssberg - AaronTV - 01-10-2023

The setup looked pretty rough and ready this morning I have to say - I’m surprised the set didn’t have any branding or just something to liven it up a little. The uncovered black staging looks a bit odd, whilst a branded panel or similar would have helped cover the large ITV logo. I’m sure last year there was a bit more of an effort.

Both Sky News and GB News had better set ups visually from inside the conference hall itself IMO.

RE: Sunday with Laura Kuenssberg - Ash101 - 01-10-2023

Indeed, it was very bizarre. Is there a camera reason they’d have used a “stage” instead of just having everyone on the actual floor?

I did enjoy the limited set up meaning Laura stayed seated for the whole show. Just spinning from the panel on her left to the interviewed guest on her right.

RE: Sunday with Laura Kuenssberg - DTV - 01-10-2023

Given they have a studio downstairs with a set modelled on their regular one, might have been better to have used that instead. Obviously, there are issues with turnaround after Breakfast, but, given it's a one-off, I'm sure something could have been arranged - e.g. Breakfast on the NC ending at 08:30 and handing to a pre-record, or one programme coming from the old/NWT studio. Surely the advantage of having national quality sets dotted across the country is that you can utilise them when network programmes leave London, rather than having to fall back on cheap and nasty temp jobs.

I know they always do these decamps to a bit of office space for conference season, but they never look great and, as AaronTV says, this set-up is abnormally poor - they haven't even been arsed to bring up the regular furniture (which they used to do on Marr). They can't even say they've got a particularly good view, nor are they actually in Manchester.

RE: Sunday with Laura Kuenssberg - Spencer - 01-10-2023

I guess the point is they want to have a live, real view in the background to emphasise the fact that they’re on location which they wouldn’t have in the Breakfast/Sport studio. I know Salford isn’t Manchester, but when they’re only three miles from the location of the conference, to see that as an issue does feel a bit like splitting hairs. It’s not like they’re broadcasting from Leeds.

Agreed though that the setup looked like minimal effort had been made.