Pres Café
Sunday with Laura Kuenssberg - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Sunday with Laura Kuenssberg (/showthread.php?tid=119)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35

RE: Sunday with Laura Kuenssberg - Ash101 - 21-10-2023

Seems to roughly be every other week at the moment?

RE: Sunday with Laura Kuenssberg - Steve in Pudsey - 21-10-2023

Quite understandable given the reported circumstances.

RE: Sunday with Laura Kuenssberg - Stuart - 22-10-2023

On 'Sunday (without) LauraK' today there was a breakdown on a DTL from Gaza. I know we've seen a quick glimpse of this screen before, but I never actually bothered reading it until today.

Apparently the interviewee can't see the studio output, just hear the audio. Yet when I use Teams/Zoom at work I can see the other parties, and we're all in HD as far as I can tell (with my weak eyes).

I am wondering why the BBC are unable to achieve the same two way video connection. It's always easier to talk to someone when you can see them and their reactions.

I'm hoping that one of our techy brethren on here can enlighten me. Tongue

RE: Sunday with Laura Kuenssberg - dvboy - 22-10-2023

It's to ensure they get the best possible quality video back from the interviewee.

RE: Sunday with Laura Kuenssberg - Stuart - 22-10-2023

(22-10-2023, 02:54 PM)dvboy Wrote:  It's to ensure they get the best possible quality video back from the interviewee.
Yet we all manage to do that in work without the loss of a visual interaction. Even smart phones are capable of broadcast quality video as we saw during lockdown.

That's why I'm confused about the audio-only issue. You lose something by not being able to see the person you're talking to, especially when they can see you.

RE: Sunday with Laura Kuenssberg - Jon - 22-10-2023

Presumably the bandwidth is a bit more finite in a war zone than you using your home broadband. I’m sure people would be more likely to be annoyed if the guests signal kept breaking up over them looking slightly less engaged with the interview.

I don’t know what they use for mobile DTLs but I imagine it could also be something higher spec than a zoom connection.

RE: Sunday with Laura Kuenssberg - bilky asko - 22-10-2023

(22-10-2023, 04:11 PM)Stuart Wrote:  Yet we all manage to do that in work without the loss of a visual interaction. Even smart phones are capable of broadcast quality video as we saw during lockdown.

That's why I'm confused about the audio-only issue. You lose something by not being able to see the person you're talking to, especially when they can see you.

A videoconference at work is a bit different from getting the best possible quality video from a range of contributors, who may have ropey connections.

RE: Sunday with Laura Kuenssberg - ViridianFan - 22-10-2023

You’ve also got to remember if they’re interviewing someone who is using an older device or one which isn’t particularly powerful not having the video means the computer can put more resources onto sending the video meaning you’ll get a better quality stream which is less likely to cut out. 

The other thing is that it’s not a traditional video call in a way. They’d have to patch through a feed from the studio cameras which wouldn’t  always have the presenter looking directly at the camera. Someone with more knowledge would know, but could patching the video feed from the studio cameras end up causing a delay?

RE: Sunday with Laura Kuenssberg - Boozehound - 22-10-2023

(22-10-2023, 02:35 PM)Stuart Wrote:  On 'Sunday (without) LauraK' today there was a breakdown on a DTL from Gaza. I know we've seen a quick glimpse of this screen before, but I never actually bothered reading it until today.

Apparently the interviewee can't see the studio output, just hear the audio. Yet when I use Teams/Zoom at work I can see the other parties, and we're all in HD as far as I can tell (with my weak eyes).

I am wondering why the BBC are unable to achieve the same two way video connection. It's always easier to talk to someone when you can see them and their reactions.

I'm hoping that one of our techy brethren on here can enlighten me. Tongue

There's multiple reasons why it is this way. Firstly, if the guest doesn't have Zoom then Skype is used. A return feed can be sent viz Zoom but not via Skype. Like others have said, middle eastern countries can have bad internet connections, so not sending a return can help with bandwidth and ensure that output video quality is maintained.

It can also be that a return of the studio wasn't booked with MCR....

RE: Sunday with Laura Kuenssberg - dvboy - 22-10-2023

(22-10-2023, 04:11 PM)Stuart Wrote:  Yet we all manage to do that in work without the loss of a visual interaction. Even smart phones are capable of broadcast quality video as we saw during lockdown.

Not everyone's experience is the same. Where I work quite often the video will occasionally freeze momentarily or pixelate. Fine for work purposes, not great for broadcast.