Pres Café
Sunday with Laura Kuenssberg - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Sunday with Laura Kuenssberg (/showthread.php?tid=119)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35

RE: Sunday with Laura Kuenssberg - bbctvtechop - 22-10-2023

(22-10-2023, 02:35 PM)Stuart Wrote:  I'm hoping that one of our techy brethren on here can enlighten me. Tongue
Hello ☺ 

(22-10-2023, 02:35 PM)Stuart Wrote:  On 'Sunday (without) LauraK' today there was a breakdown on a DTL from Gaza. I know we've seen a quick glimpse of this screen before, but I never actually bothered reading it until today.
Apparently the interviewee can't see the studio output, just hear the audio. Yet when I use Teams/Zoom at work I can see the other parties, and we're all in HD as far as I can tell (with my weak eyes).
I am wondering why the BBC are unable to achieve the same two way video connection. It's always easier to talk to someone when you can see them and their reactions.

What you're seeing on Zoom/Teams is a automatically-generated composite of everyone on the call, or a single person talking, as captured by their webcam.

At the BBC the machines that run these calls are not located in the gallery, they are centrally controlled either by a media hub (World Service way of working) or MCR themselves (News workflow). The receiving audio and video is then patched into the internal routing switcher known as BNCS for any gallery to pick up and route to one of their Outside Source lines. The gallery also has the ability to request "2 way clean feed", which only one gallery can have at any time, and which basically pushes a mix minus from that gallery's sound desk, generated from the OS line it is on's fader, back through the BNCS network and then into that same computer in the Media Hub or MCR.

There is no technical reason why you couldn't send video down that as well, but traditionally all clean feed lines were audio only. When using more traditional technology such as satellite lines, MCR have to dial up the mobile phone of the correspondent and send clean feed down the phone line, as there are obviously no 2-way satellite lines.

The problem is you'd then need the gallery's vision mixer to send something - and what do you send? An isolated camera which may move, refocus or be stood in front of during the interview? What happens when the presenter needs to move to the next segment in a different place of the studio where the next guests waiting? Maybe you could do a locked off "ceiling cam" showing the whole studio, but this would be really poor quality.

The only alternative is to show the mix of the programme - including the guest when they are presented full frame. But now you're dealing with video delay - by the time the guest's webcam has been sent into the Zoom cloud, received into the BBC's Zoom account, processed through the internal BNCS network, processed by the gallery vision mixer, sent back down BNCS, received again by the BBC Zoom PC, sent back around the Zoom cloud, and finally received again at the guest's device, you could EASILY add 2 or 3 seconds delay. Have you ever tried talking into a screen where you see yourself back 2 or 3 seconds later? It is very distracting, to the point of stumbling over your words.

Hope this helps?

RE: Sunday with Laura Kuenssberg - Stuart - 22-10-2023

(22-10-2023, 07:45 PM)bbctvtechop Wrote:  Hope this helps?
Yes, thank you to you and all those who replied to my question. It was all very informative. Smile

RE: Sunday with Laura Kuenssberg - Keith - 29-10-2023

Looks like we're getting another Sunday with VD.

On a general note, it does highlight a slight problem with the programme name. When the programme name includes "With [Presenter]" as part of the name, it makes it harder to alter titles when the presenter isn't there. Normally if the programme name was that is the presenter they'd be able to add "with [relief presenter]" onto the titles/voice-over if desired.

RE: Sunday with Laura Kuenssberg - Juicy Joe - 29-10-2023

It should be called "Sunday without Laura Kuenssberg" right now. I'm sure they could do some generic titles with just "Sunday" as the title & change the studio desk graphics easily enough, surely, for when Laura isn't there? GB News has the same problem - lots of it's programmes has the presenter's name in the title and numerous times, the presenter isn't there.

RE: Sunday with Laura Kuenssberg - Stuart - 29-10-2023

(29-10-2023, 09:42 AM)Keith Wrote:  Looks like we're getting another Sunday with VD.
Indeed, so I'm watching again this week.

I don't wish to disparage the skills of Laura K, as she is clearly very talented otherwise she wouldn't have been successful. I also understand the unfortunate reason for her absence.

However, I really don't think this is the right gig for her. Her recent documentary style programmes seemed better suited her and were very good.

VD fits into this Sunday morning programme rather well.

RE: Sunday with Laura Kuenssberg - Stooky Bill - 29-10-2023

(22-10-2023, 07:45 PM)bbctvtechop Wrote:  Hello ☺ 

What you're seeing on Zoom/Teams is a automatically-generated composite of everyone on the call, or a single person talking, as captured by their webcam.

At the BBC the machines that run these calls are not located in the gallery, they are centrally controlled either by a media hub (World Service way of working) or MCR themselves (News workflow). The receiving audio and video is then patched into the internal routing switcher known as BNCS for any gallery to pick up and route to one of their Outside Source lines. The gallery also has the ability to request "2 way clean feed", which only one gallery can have at any time, and which basically pushes a mix minus from that gallery's sound desk, generated from the OS line it is on's fader, back through the BNCS network and then into that same computer in the Media Hub or MCR.

There is no technical reason why you couldn't send video down that as well, but traditionally all clean feed lines were audio only. When using more traditional technology such as satellite lines, MCR have to dial up the mobile phone of the correspondent and send clean feed down the phone line, as there are obviously no 2-way satellite lines.

The problem is you'd then need the gallery's vision mixer to send something - and what do you send? An isolated camera which may move, refocus or be stood in front of during the interview? What happens when the presenter needs to move to the next segment in a different place of the studio where the next guests waiting? Maybe you could do a locked off "ceiling cam" showing the whole studio, but this would be really poor quality.
A couple of quick points on this. Firstly by '2 way clean feed' I assume you mean it's the clean feed for the two-way, not a clean feed in two directions which isn't a thing. 

Secondly satellite feeds are one way, but that's not to say you can't have two, one in each direction. So the guest is being uplinked to the BBC and a reverse vision uplinked by the BBC back to the studio where the guest is. Doesn't happen often and rarely in news unless the presenter is on an OB. Though it's more common to use a low latency IP based reverse, this is always the case for autocue feeds for obvious reasons. 

A lot of satellite lives for news are two-way via satellite as the clean feed is sent back over satellite to the uplink truck 

Reverse vision via Zoom or other services like Skype, Facetime and WhatsApp is used sometimes. Sometimes the contributor had to see what's happening in the studio. One example is the kids show Saturday Mash Up, the contestants playing a game at home get a reverse vision from a seperate output of the studio to play their games

RE: Sunday with Laura Kuenssberg - UTVLifer - 29-10-2023

Judging by VD's tweet this morning, I think Laura will be back next week

https://x.com/vicderbyshire/status/1718528955756486976?s=46&t=uYc2nILLUU7TByduAbmbxg 

RE: Sunday with Laura Kuenssberg - Stuart - 29-10-2023

(29-10-2023, 09:42 AM)Keith Wrote:  Looks like we're getting another Sunday with VD.
I had to come back again to mention today's programme, because I actually smirked all the way through the pre-recorded interview with the IT guy from the USA. I've never seen someone look so nervous during a TV interview. VD must be very intimidating face to face!

She appeared cool and relaxed during her thoroughly well researched interrogation. He shuffled about in his seat, and then constantly perched on the edge like a 12 year old being brought in front of the Head Teacher for not submitting his homework on time. 

Apparently he's a billionaire businessman, so you would think he'd come across more formidable people during his career. I had to watch it twice just for the comedy value. Tongue

RE: Sunday with Laura Kuenssberg - VMPhil - 29-10-2023

Sounds painful.

RE: Sunday with Laura Kuenssberg - Brekkie - 29-10-2023

Am I right in thinking that Laura had a short stint hosting Newsnight before she went to ITV for a year?