Pres Café
Sunday with Laura Kuenssberg - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Sunday with Laura Kuenssberg (/showthread.php?tid=119)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35

RE: Sunday with Laura Kuenssberg - London Lite - 29-10-2023

Derbyshire is so much better at this, but I'd still dump the panel.

RE: Sunday with Laura Kuenssberg - DTV - 29-10-2023

(29-10-2023, 05:17 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Am I right in thinking that Laura had a short stint hosting Newsnight before she went to ITV for a year?
Other way round - her stint at Newsnight was after returning from ITV.

RE: Sunday with Laura Kuenssberg - Rolling News - 29-10-2023

(29-10-2023, 07:01 PM)DTV Wrote:  Other way round - her stint at Newsnight was after returning from ITV.

That’s correct - she replaced Gavin Esler in early 2014. But (and I could be wrong) I’m sure she also presented some editions of Newsnight in summer 2010 before joining ITV.

RE: Sunday with Laura Kuenssberg - bbctvtechop - 30-10-2023

(29-10-2023, 10:28 AM)Stooky Bill Wrote:  A couple of quick points on this. Firstly by '2 way clean feed' I assume you mean it's the clean feed for the two-way, not a clean feed in two directions which isn't a thing. 

Secondly satellite feeds are one way, but that's not to say you can't have two, one in each direction. So the guest is being uplinked to the BBC and a reverse vision uplinked by the BBC back to the studio where the guest is. Doesn't happen often and rarely in news unless the presenter is on an OB. Though it's more common to use a low latency IP based reverse, this is always the case for autocue feeds for obvious reasons. 

A lot of satellite lives for news are two-way via satellite as the clean feed is sent back over satellite to the uplink truck 

Reverse vision via Zoom or other services like Skype, Facetime and WhatsApp is used sometimes. Sometimes the contributor had to see what's happening in the studio. One example is the kids show Saturday Mash Up, the contestants playing a game at home get a reverse vision from a seperate output of the studio to play their games

"2 way clean feed" is the awful name used by the BNCS system, not my terminology. To my knowledge all it does is one-way audio routing back down the line (incoming audio is present as soon as the source is selected into one of the OS destinations), as well as preventing any other control room from taking "2 way clean feed".

I would have called it something like "Gallery Lock". 

BNCS does actually build up a 2WCF queue in the order that galleries/radio cubicles request 2WCF. Then as the gallery in control releases 2WCF, the next in line automatically receive it and their audio starts flowing down the line instead. MCR and a few other central controlling areas have the ability to reorder the queue, release control from the gallery that has it, or boot out galleries from the queue.

So on a busy day when one correspondent is in demand, the newsroom decide which outlets get the correspondent in which order and send MCR the list. When the line is up, MCR can phone the first gallery and get them to take 2WCF. Once they have control of the line, they can call the second, third and fourth outlets and get them lined up in 2nd, 3rd and 4th place in the queue. Once (say) the news channel has done with them, they release 2WCF and (say) 5 Live then automatically receive it as they were next in the queue. And repeat.

Interesting comments on reverse vision feeds. To my knowledge none of the thousands of guests I've put through to BBC galleries have ever had a reverse vision feed supplied to them, in any format or technology. I have seen Autocue feeds being sent down IP lines, but not as part of a reverse vision feed per se, but as a standalone feed for presenters on location.

RE: Sunday with Laura Kuenssberg - TMD_24 - 04-11-2023

Looks like Laura is back tomorrow. I think she was also on Newscast last week as well from what I remember.

https://x.com/BBCPolitics/status/1720831963370590256?s=20 

RE: Sunday with Laura Kuenssberg - AaronTV - 05-11-2023

Good to see Laura back this morning.

I see the program actually finished slightly early today, so maybe it wasn’t a case of Laura deciding to randomly extend her program by 3 minutes each week because she is a less competent broadcaster than Victoria Derbyshire after all…

Maybe these things are planned and presenters finish the program when instructed by the gallery, but who knows!

RE: Sunday with Laura Kuenssberg - DTV - 05-11-2023

(05-11-2023, 11:17 AM)AaronTV Wrote:  Good to see Laura back this morning.

I see the program actually finished slightly early today, so maybe it wasn’t a case of Laura deciding to randomly extend her program by 3 minutes each week because she is a less competent broadcaster than Victoria Derbyshire after all…
To be honest, I seem to recall most of the comparisons that were drawn were about Victoria being a more competent and challenging interviewer than their respective abilities to wrap the programme up on time.

RE: Sunday with Laura Kuenssberg - Stooky Bill - 05-11-2023

(30-10-2023, 11:12 PM)bbctvtechop Wrote:  Interesting comments on reverse vision feeds. To my knowledge none of the thousands of guests I've put through to BBC galleries have ever had a reverse vision feed supplied to them, in any format or technology. I have seen Autocue feeds being sent down IP lines, but not as part of a reverse vision feed per se, but as a standalone feed for presenters on location.
As I say it's not common for news unless it's a presenter on location, but it is possible and is done occasionally. 

Often of course the reason it's not done is because the actual equipment doesn't exist - the vision circuits used for many sites - the local radio stations for example - are just one way. There's normally a monitor in front of the guest, but that will just have an off air. In the bigger sites they're a routable destination. 

It's a lot easier with a traditional sat truck as they have recievers and cabling and the kit to provide one if needed. Reverse feeds to satellite sports OBs are occasionally used for sending highlights or other live matches. 

These days reverse vision from News is often provided by an IP system called Swift. Those on location can watch all sorts of things on that. The reporter or crew probably are using that for a reverse, but you just aren't aware of it in the gallery, nor do you need to be

---------------------

You're description of how galleries queue for clean feed is correct, but they queue for everything in that news package, except vision and audio - talkback, clean feed and I think reverse vision is a level included in each package if need be

AM160 - AM160 - 05-11-2023

(05-11-2023, 11:17 AM)AaronTV Wrote:  Good to see Laura back this morning.

Maybe these things are planned and presenters finish the program when instructed by the gallery, but who knows!
I can assure you it be programme didn’t finish early.. they slightly overran!!

RE: Sunday with Laura Kuenssberg - ginnyfan - 05-11-2023

Kuenssberg's back but Derbyshire's trending. Must be awkward for both.