Pres Café
Saorview Platform - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Industry News, Technology and Facilities (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: Saorview Platform (/showthread.php?tid=125)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Saorview Platform - bkman1990 - 31-07-2023

New slates for Cúla4 & TG4+1 have appeared on the Saorview channel list today.

TG4+1 is on LCN 14. Cúla4 is on LCN 18.

Both channels will begin broadcasting on Saorview from the 8th of September.

RE: Saorview Platform - TVenthusiasm - 31-07-2023

(31-07-2023, 05:33 PM)bkman1990 Wrote:  New slates for Cúla4 & TG4+1 have appeared on the Saorview channel list today.

TG4+1 is on LCN 14. Cúla4 is on LCN 18.

Both channels will begin broadcasting on Saorview from the 8th of September.

[Image: 20230731_190034.jpg]

[Image: 20230731_190019.jpg]

RE: Saorview Platform - Kunst - 01-08-2023

I do wonder if it's the right time with all these "vanity projects", especially with the decline of traditional TV + a small market

Maybe less for TG4+1, but for a Cúla4 channel?

RE: Saorview Platform - Rdd - 01-08-2023

There’s already a TG4+1 on the TG4 Player. In
fact there’s a TG4+2, as well!

I’m not sure what’s involved in the Cula4 channel. There’s been one on Virgin Media for years, though like the similar TRTE channel it’s just a simulcast of the bloc on TG4 and the only rationale for it is to get a listing in the kids section of the EPG.

They’re Irish language, so won’t be politically questioned in Ireland the way something from RTE would.

RE: Saorview Platform - Brekkie - 02-08-2023

Guessing to the space was probably allocated to them anyway rather than an extra stream veing purchased, so might as well be used.

Kids channels probably cost very little in comparison to running a kids strand anyway - just have a higher repeat ratio rather than more new content generally. I guess ultimately it'll free up space on TG4 for repeating other content in the day instead.

What time is the switch from Cula4 to TG4+1?

RE: Saorview Platform - Stuart - 02-08-2023

(01-08-2023, 08:34 AM)Rdd Wrote:  There’s already a TG4+1 on the TG4 Player. In
fact there’s a TG4+2, as well!
When I looked into this yesterday I was intrigued as to why there was a TG4+2 in the first place. It's not as though RoI has more than one time zone.

I can understand a +1 catch-up channel, but you only normally see +2s in large countries like Australia or USA with multiple time zones.

RE: Saorview Platform - Kunst - 02-08-2023

Well, the UK also used to have +2 channels: I can think of FX+ (a +2 channel) and DMAX +2 (although it lasted for a short time).

Obviously, for Australia and the US etc. these make more sense, they might not be labelled as timeshift feeds, but as "western" and "eastern" feeds, for the intended areas as a main feed.

RE: Saorview Platform - Rdd - 02-08-2023

Because they can? They have a very useful live restart feature too which RTE still haven’t implemented on their frankly creaking Player.

Cula4’s hours will be 6am-8pm apparently which is substantially longer than the TG4 bloc and an hour later than RTEjr. TG4+1 the rest of the time (TG4 is basically 24 hour now, with only a vestigial hour of France 24 still remaining).

RE: Saorview Platform - Stuart - 02-08-2023

(02-08-2023, 08:59 AM)Kunst Wrote:  Well, the UK also used to have +2 channels: I can think of FX+ (a +2 channel) and DMAX +2 (although it lasted for a short time).
I have a feeling that they, along with Discovery+2, were just placeholders on the EPG for something else.

On the original Sky Digital everyone beyond the 'main 5' got 3 slots each (the main channel and 2 spares). However, when they announced the intention of a reorganisation of the EPG there was probably a scramble to fill their vacant slots with something just to keep them, especially if they had good positions.

RE: Saorview Platform - Brekkie - 02-08-2023

Think there was a More4+2 briefly too.