Pres Café
BT TV Internet Mode - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Industry News, Technology and Facilities (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: BT TV Internet Mode (/showthread.php?tid=132)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

BT TV Internet Mode - alfiejmulcahy - 29-08-2022

https://www.bt.com/help/tv/guide/ip-freeview-guide 

BT has began rolling out an 'internet mode' similar to Sky Glass, where customers can get Freeview channels over the internet.

What I found interesting, was the fact that most of the channels are in HD, certainly a far higher number than on Freeview normally and certainly makes up for the recent removal of BBC News HD.

Will be interesting to see how viable an option this is and how popular it will be going forward.

One cannot run both modes side-by-side at this stage so you either have to go all in with internet mode, or continue on the current OTA infrastructure.

It also seems to be the case that regional news appears on BBC1 HD which is certainly a welcome addition.

There's also a new mini box that utilises the new internet mode: https://www.bt.com/help/tv/learn-about-tv/youview-boxes-and-multi-room/bt-tv-box-mini 

RE: BT TV Internet Mode - Andrew Wood - 30-08-2022

There's a distinct lack of UKTV channels - enough to put me off upgrading to the box and service.

RE: BT TV Internet Mode - i.h - 30-08-2022

I swapped my box over on saturday (after discovering the "hidden" factory reset that removes future recordings but doesn't delete existing ones)

It does work well, and since I didn't read which channels were available, I was surprised to see that the BBC channels do appear to be in HD incl regionals. Interestingly it didn't ask what region I was in, so I guess they've put in the smarts to figure that out based on your account info

Only bugbear (and I didn't check to see if this applied to the aerial feed too) is that if you go onto any ITV channel you get a full screen popup demanding you sign in to ITV Hub. Even for live channels including ITV1. That feels like it's against some rules somewhere.

It's a good move, albeit one about 10 years too late. I gather the aerial requirement was a factor that put people off switching from Sky, and of course even new houses often don't have aerials (a friend's new build had all the wiring in place but no aerial - huh?). And with the fibre broadband expansions you could be in a situation where Freeview coverage is poor/non existent but you have really good broadband.

RE: BT TV Internet Mode - nwtv2003 - 31-08-2022

I managed to switch my Pro Box into internet mode on Friday and other than the missing UKTV channels, it’s so much better. In my view it’s worth it for BBC1 Regional HD alone, along with ITV’s channels in HD. With regards to the ITV sign in, I was prompted to do this once on the factory reset and it’s been fine since.

The SD channels also look better too, notably the Channel 4 spin offs, shame they can’t be HD like ITV’s and Channel 5’s.

They’ve also added BBC and ITV Wales and Yorkshire, along with S4C on the 800 section despite me not being in an overlap area.

One hopes they add more channels into internet mode, notably UKTV. But I’m fortunate enough that I can switch back to my normal TV to watch the likes of Dave.

RE: BT TV Internet Mode - alfiejmulcahy - 01-09-2022

Having now used internet mode for a little while, I have to say it's very impressive. Picture quality seems leagues ahead of standard Freeview and the availability of more HD channels at the START of the EPG is excellent, albeit well overdue.

There is about a 10-15 second delay on what Freeview can achieve, but far better than the iPlayer. The ITV Hub sign-in is slightly annoying but I can see this being a possible route taken by the BBC in future to ensure that people are paying the licence fee.

My only minor bug-bear is the channel selection, all of the essentials are there except, for me at least, Dave and GBN, everything else is there. Also, with the removal of the +1 channels, which I rarely use and has cleared up the EPG nicely, ITV and BT really need to get the 'hold OK to restart' feature of BBC channels to work here as well. Hopefully the introduction of ITVX allows live restart in some form or another.

RE: BT TV Internet Mode - BcastCornwall - 02-11-2022

For Subscription users Discovery has been (re)added to the platform in the last 48 hours, programmes according to the EPG are to start on Friday 4th November,

RE: BT TV Internet Mode - nwtv2003 - 02-11-2022

I noticed Discovery and Discovery HD have been added to 324 and 325 respectively, my EPG suggests they go live at midnight on Thursday night. I wonder whether Discovery+ is due soon?

I believe Box Nation is being removed this week.

RE: BT TV Internet Mode - Andrew Wood - 16-11-2022

I received the letter from BT today, but as a BT TV Entertainment package user, it's on 320 SD and 325 HD.

www.bt.com/newtvchannel2 

RE: BT TV Internet Mode - nwtv2003 - 17-11-2022

I noticed Discovery is now the first proper channel that is listed on the guide after the Freeview channels. I only pay for Big Sport and HD/4K but I can’t get the channel, but I can get AMC. (Not that I watch either of them to be honest.)

According to the BT Community forums, Discovery+ is currently being tested, but it’s likely it won’t be released to customers this side of Christmas.

RE: BT TV Internet Mode - fanoftv - 23-11-2022

I’ve held off swapping to internet mode, mainly because of all the recordings on there that I didn’t want to lose, however I see I.h got around this somehow. I’m also a bit dubious as despite speed tests showing download speeds of 291mbps when recording from sky’s internet channels there appears to be issues making the programme skip and pixelated when watching back.