Pres Café
This Morning - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Programme Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: This Morning (/showthread.php?tid=145)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27

RE: This Morning - fanoftv - 28-11-2022

I sort of understand what is being said, as Christmas was the last period of TV that felt different. I understand why they started the Christmas Day editions during the pandemic with a lot of people on their own at Christmas and continue to do so, but there does take a little charm away from the Christmas schedules when they’re the same daily with no doubt the quiz shows on in the afternoons too. Then again, in this age of streaming, everyone can make their own schedules.

RE: This Morning - Ash101 - 29-11-2022

I think the fact ITV want to go to the effort of creating 5 hours worth of GMB/Lorraine/This Morning for Christmas morning equals the opposite of lazy. They could very easily phone it in with cartoons, a film or a repeat of a cooking themed Christmas show.

But it's brand new content created for a day/time of year when repeats or 'best of' editions are very common.... even if people send the afternoon/evening with people, this is still a time of day when a lot will be alone.

RE: This Morning - Milkshake - 29-11-2022

(29-11-2022, 12:19 AM)Ash101 Wrote:  I think the fact ITV want to go to the effort of creating 5 hours worth of GMB/Lorraine/This Morning for Christmas morning equals the opposite of lazy. They could very easily phone it in with cartoons, a film or a repeat of a cooking themed Christmas show.

But it's brand new content created for a day/time of year when repeats or 'best of' editions are very common.... even if people send the afternoon/evening with people, this is still a time of day when a lot will be alone.

TV has been missing this sort of thing, Noel used to be live on xmas day.

RE: This Morning - Larry the Loafer - 29-11-2022

I'd like this approach more if it was all done live. I understand why they haven't got everyone working on Christmas Day, but the difference between having it live and pre-recorded for me is like seeing the difference between seeing your family on Christmas Day and watching some home movies of them. I guess I'm in the mindset of "keeping the viewer company" on Christmas morning, and considering it's usually live anyway, it just feels a bit off pretending your usual daytime favourites are spending the morning with you when they really aren't. Otherwise, you may as well just show the aforementioned movies and cartoons.

Or maybe my medication needs looking at, who knows...

RE: This Morning - Jon - 29-11-2022

I guess the calculation is most people will have no reason to assume it’s not live. Or perhaps more to the point people would assume it was recorded even if they did it live.

The only other non-News programme to go out live on Christmas Day in recent memory I can remember is Gordon Ramsay’s Cookalong Live on Channel 4 which I seem to remember attracted quite a few other household names.

RE: This Morning - Ballinagrappa - 29-11-2022

The Christmas decs were up in the studio today and it was heavily mentioned that they are sustainable with the paper chains made out of wrapping paper from last year and all the other decs (except for one giant nutcracker) being recycled from last year's set.

There's also a massive bow on the block at TVC as well.

RE: This Morning - tellyblues - 29-11-2022

(29-11-2022, 12:19 AM)Ash101 Wrote:  I think the fact ITV want to go to the effort of creating 5 hours worth of GMB/Lorraine/This Morning for Christmas morning equals the opposite of lazy. They could very easily phone it in with cartoons, a film or a repeat of a cooking themed Christmas show.

I never understand how a film can be classed as "phoning it in", especially if it's a recent release.

ITV Christmas Day 1993 is often highlighted as lazy because it was three films back to back but they were all premieres.

RE: This Morning - eyeTV - 29-11-2022

(29-11-2022, 10:18 PM)tellyblues Wrote:  

I never understand how a film can be classed as "phoning it in", especially if it's a recent release.

ITV Christmas Day 1993 is often highlighted as lazy because it was three films back to back but they were all premieres.

ITV would never have put a recent film in the slot that the daytime shows now fill on Christmas Day.  It was a dead, uncompetitive slot.  

It was usually used for something like Santa Claus The Movie (from 1985) or a repeat of Countrywise Christmas.

RE: This Morning - bilky asko - 30-11-2022

What they're doing is having a great wedge of programming that the likes of Netflix and Disney+ don't do at all, to differentiate themselves. Fill every break with a nudge to ITVX for anyone wanting something else, and overall it seems quite shrewd.

RE: This Morning - tellyblues - 30-11-2022

(29-11-2022, 11:41 PM)eyeTV Wrote:  
(29-11-2022, 10:18 PM)tellyblues Wrote:  I never understand how a film can be classed as "phoning it in", especially if it's a recent release.

ITV would never have put a recent film in the slot that the daytime shows now fill on Christmas Day.  It was a dead, uncompetitive slot.  

It was usually used for something like Santa Claus The Movie (from 1985) or a repeat of Countrywise Christmas.

They had Despicable Me 2 in 2016 which by that point was only 3 years old but it's not common.

A repeat of Countrywise I would say is lazy but Santa Claus, no, if taking into consideration that a film has to be appropriate for children and given the selection they have available.