Pres Café
HM Queen Elizabeth Dies & Funeral Coverage - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: HM Queen Elizabeth Dies & Funeral Coverage (/showthread.php?tid=148)

RE: Queen Elizabeth Dies - Ash101 - 09-09-2022

Not sure if it's been noted that TalkTV have been in the Piers studio since 6am. With Julia and Jeremy co-hosting till 10am when Tom Newton Dunn took over.

Confirming on their Twitter that it'll be Kate McCann at 12pm with Vanessa Feltz & Mike Graham from 2pm.

A great use of their talent I think..

RE: Queen Elizabeth Dies - Chud - 09-09-2022

After seeing lots of clips of the announcement, I’m surprised at how poor some broadcasters handled it. Itv news, gb news, cnn all not great.

RE: Queen Elizabeth Dies - WillPS - 09-09-2022

The one that mattered above all arguably absolutely nailed it though. Huw Edwards' delivery of the announcement was flawless and the entire playout was coreographed perfectly.

The only slightly let up was Nicholas Witchell perhaps struggling to contain himself at the moment he knew the announcement was imminent.

Looking at the others Channel 4 and Sky News did a very good job.

RE: Queen Elizabeth Dies - James2001 - 09-09-2022

Watching back the BBC footage, you can see them cutting to a camera in the crowd, then all of a sudden people start looking and pointing their phones upwards, presumably that's the moment the flag was lowered.

Only a few seconds earlier you hear Nicholas Witchell saying we can hope there might be good news, even though he presumably already knew the reality by this point. I wonder how long they actually knew, but had to keep talking as if they didn't.

RE: Queen Elizabeth Dies - VMPhil - 09-09-2022

(09-09-2022, 10:30 AM)WillPS Wrote:  The only slightly let up was Nicholas Witchell perhaps struggling to contain himself at the moment he knew the announcement was imminent.

Perhaps but to be fair they had cut to live footage of the flag at half-mast at Buckingham Palace while he was talking, so I think he felt like he couldn't keep the pretence up.

RE: Queen Elizabeth Dies - mark - 09-09-2022

First of all, I'd like to say that the content of the coverage I've seen and heard has been really good - respectful and well-prepared.

I think TV and radio have done very well. Especially this morning's radio breakfast shows on music stations - particularly difficult for the presenters who are normally there to make people laugh.

It was interesting to see how much of a force Global has become, with its ability to network speech output from LBC across all its stations - presented by Andrew Marr, no less - in much the same way that the BBC did.

A couple of constructive thoughts on the TV presentation, acknowledging that things like this are difficult...

The BBC's studios haven't felt quite right for the occasion. The output from Studio E looks more or less like any rolling news coverage. Studio B - which is effectively a blank canvas - looks largely like it does for a standard BBC1 bulletin. The Breakfast Studio - which is also a fairly blank canvas - felt cheerful with the busy newsroom shot and the white and red colour scheme.

I think they could have prepared a more sombre bespoke look. I thought ITV has done better with its naturally-darker colour scheme and turning the virtual screens in the background into a collage of images of the Queen. The BBC could have done something like that in E, on the screens on the left of the main presenter shot that are there to hide the gallery door.

Also, I'm not sure the broadcasters who had people presenting coverage from outdoors in the wind and rain last night quite achieved the desired affect. It's just bad luck but, in that kind of weather, presenting from a studio would have felt more dignified.

All in all, though, I think it's safe to say that everyone has risen to the considerable challenge of delivering yesterday's news.

RE: Queen Elizabeth Dies - bilky asko - 09-09-2022

(09-09-2022, 10:12 AM)LouBlu08 Wrote:  Some of the shopping channels are back (and have probably been back for a while now). QVC is still off air but TJC, Ideal World, TV Warehouse and all the Gemporia channels are back.

I noticed that Ideal World (and Ideal World Extra) had changed over to a black and white DOG when they came back.

RE: Queen Elizabeth Dies - ALV - 09-09-2022

(09-09-2022, 10:44 AM)mark Wrote:  The BBC's studios haven't felt quite right for the occasion. The output from Studio E looks more or less like any rolling news coverage. Studio B - which is effectively a blank canvas - looks largely like it does for a standard BBC1 bulletin. The Breakfast Studio - which is also a fairly blank canvas - felt cheerful with the busy newsroom shot and the white and red colour scheme.

I think they could have prepared a more sombre bespoke look. I thought ITV has done better with its naturally-darker colour scheme and turning the virtual screens in the background into a collage of images of the Queen. The BBC could have done something like that in E, on the screens on the left of the main presenter shot that are there to hide the gallery door.

I think the approach BBC is trying to achieve is to keep things as simple and neutral, not overly making things sombre, yet having a bit of comforting and sympathetic tone - this explains why there are no custom graphics like black backgrounds on double boxes, purple and black light boxes, custom music and stings etc… they’re too flashy and they don’t want to go down the US cable news route. It’s mostly generic graphics with a bit of custom titles and OTS monitor graphics and minimal usage of music and stings.

I think the presenters on BBC achieved this goal spot on, especially Huw Edwards. His tone is mostly neutral, with a bit of softness to show sympathy and comfort the nation, no sensationalism or emotional in tone whatsoever.

I do agree on the point of the newsroom backdrop though, I REALLY think the defunct London daytime/nighttime skyline backdrop in Studio C, accompanied with the generic graphics, would better fit the tone and atmosphere the BBC is trying to achieve.

RE: Queen Elizabeth Dies - LouBlu08 - 09-09-2022

(09-09-2022, 08:26 AM)LouBlu08 Wrote:  Currently, CBeebies and CBBC haven't broadcast any in vision continuity links so far today apart from CBBC using a pre-recorded link telling viewers to head to the Newsround website for a important news update. Understandable considering the circumstances.

Three hours later, I haven't spotted anything on both channels, so I assume there'll be no continuity links for the rest of the day. Interestingly the lunchtime song on CBeebies didn't play (I haven't actively followed the channel in ages so I don't know if there not being a lunchtime song anymore is permanent).
It'll be interesting to see what happens during the Bedtime strand, as usually they use pre-recorded continuity. My bet is they're just gonna use the generic ident or somethin.

RE: Queen Elizabeth Dies - Transmission - 09-09-2022

(09-09-2022, 01:32 AM)eyeTV Wrote:  BBC One Schedule for Friday

06:00 BBC Breakfast
09:00 BBC News Special
13:00 BBC News at One
13:30 Regional News
13:45 BBC News Special
18:00 BBC News at Six
18:30 Regional News
19:00 BBC News Special
22:00 BBC News at Ten
22:30 Regional News