Pres Café
HM Queen Elizabeth Dies & Funeral Coverage - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: HM Queen Elizabeth Dies & Funeral Coverage (/showthread.php?tid=148)

RE: Queen Elizabeth Dies - Omnipresent - 09-09-2022

Victoria Derbyshire presenting Newsnight from 54D with Kirsty Wark reporting from outside Balmoral.

They had some difficulty with guests down the line not hearing the studio.

Next week’s editions will be from the four nations of the UK.

RE: Queen Elizabeth Dies - Milkshake - 09-09-2022

(09-09-2022, 10:36 PM)UTVLifer Wrote:  I had my eye on both BBC One and ITV at that point, and by about 6:15/6:20pm, the tone between Mary Nightingale and Chris Ship had certainly shifted as well and become even more serious. Though it's great shame that Mary's autocue seemingly wasn't ready for the announcement, even though she hit the nail in terms of everything else (just like Huw)

I doubt the announcement would have been on put the Autocue and someone forget to send the piece of paper down to the studio.

Of course 20 years earlier she had to do the same announcement for the Queen mum.

https://youtu.be/gFoEC2O9R4U?t=2395 

RE: Queen Elizabeth Dies - Superman1986 - 09-09-2022

Don’t know if no one said but there’s no weather sponsorships on ITV national and regional weather. Just a generic sting

RE: Queen Elizabeth Dies - Andrew Wood - 09-09-2022

(09-09-2022, 11:15 PM)Superman1986 Wrote:  Don’t know if no one said but there’s no weather sponsorships on ITV national and regional weather. Just a generic sting

That would tie in with there being no advertising either.

RE: Queen Elizabeth Dies - eyeTV - 09-09-2022

GB News certainly were not prepared. They announced the death 2.5 minutes after the Royal Family twitter and the screen went black for a good 30 seconds before they announced it.

But that's GB News I guess.

RE: Queen Elizabeth Dies - Josh - 09-09-2022

I'm not sure if I posted this earlier but CBBC's Newsround does not have any sombre titles in this current package it seems, which is interesting because they did have sombre titles in the 2014 package... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Y1IIi7ATvg 
...which never had to be used (apart from the music in a package about Tim Peake) but with the new package they would have had to use it at least twice in the past 18 months!

RE: Queen Elizabeth Dies - ShinyBat - 09-09-2022

(09-09-2022, 10:48 PM)Omnipresent Wrote:  I guess it depends in part on the definition of embargoed. 

Normally you can tell when a story has been embargoed as all outlets report it at the exactly the same time.  The BBC may have been forewarned that an announcement was coming, but not given an exact time when they could report it.

This is what I suspect.

Normally an embargo would end, as you say, at a very specific time. I used to work at ONS, and all the reports on a big ONS release (such as the GDP one that I helped with for a while) were dropped at 9:30am along with the actual data. Journalists get the early access to the data under embargo - no small deal considering their financial market implications - so that they can put together an article explaining what's happened without the need to wait for everyone to rush at 9:30 to write hurried interpretation. That's your usual "embargo" protocol - news withheld until an already-agreed moment, in that particular instance on a fixed repeating schedule, to smooth out the reporting.

Obviously, royal deaths aren't pre-scheduled. The purpose of an embargo for the death of the monarch would be to ensure the mechanics of the state - your Operation London Bridge protocols - are all ready to go. Black outfits for politicians and broadcasters. Social media ready to go. Flag-lowerers ready at all necessary locations. Goodness knows how many other details.

An embargo of that nature would presumably last until "whenever everyone's ready." In this instance, "when everyone's ready" was a very neat 18:30 BST. But we couldn't know that when Liz Truss heard the fateful code. So an open-ended embargo was required, and an open-ended embargo was what we got. (As we did for Diana, for mechanically similar but logistically different reasons - there was no constitutional process, Diana wasn't even a royal at all at that point, but the family had to be woken and informed before the public could find out.)

RE: Queen Elizabeth Dies - James2001 - 09-09-2022

Still suprised how many people I've seen who are suprised the broadcasters have all these reports, obituaries and documentaries ready. They'll literally have had something in the event of the queen's death ready to go since 1952! Not to mention virtually every other major public figure. In fact they're doubtless preparing ones for Liz Truss already, as they aren't going to want to be caught unprepared if the serving prime minister dies suddenly.

RE: Queen Elizabeth Dies - Worzel - 09-09-2022

AIUI there were rumours circulating that there might be some form of announcement at around 6pm.

The Royal Family's Twitter account changed its header board and Avatar slightly before they posted the announcement (which was posted at 18:30 on the nose). I saw that first as I was auto refreshing the page every couple of minutes before the Tweet appeared, at around 18:29.

Looking back, IRN Net Newsroom's Flash came down at 18:30 and 30 seconds. As soon as the announcement went out on BBC News/One everything else is a blur as I had to then lead the radio station I work at's coverage and make the announcement myself.

In terms of which channel broke it first, looking back at various clips, it was Sky News by a fraction, then Huw on BBC News/One before all channels joined for the black slide moment and it was repeated again. ITV seemed to be at the same time Huw did the second announcement. Channel 4 news and 5 News were about the same time as ITV (I think).

I do fear that in the future when programmes are made about how the news was broken, programmes will show the News report slide version of Huw and not the original announcement, which would in part rewrite history.

RE: Queen Elizabeth Dies - eyeTV - 09-09-2022

I can't remember the scenario with Prince Philip but was that news also released by the Royal Family social media ahead of broadcast media?