Pres Café
HM Queen Elizabeth Dies & Funeral Coverage - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: HM Queen Elizabeth Dies & Funeral Coverage (/showthread.php?tid=148)

RE: Queen Elizabeth Health - Chud - 08-09-2022

I thought they would have kept the news channel coverage going and then break to Huw in B when an announcement is made. It’s good to have Huw and his experience on at the moment though.

RE: Queen Elizabeth Health - Newsroom - 08-09-2022

(08-09-2022, 02:19 PM)aaron_scotland Wrote:  Police outside Balmoral are erecting fencing, obviously expecting a lot of media trucks that must be on the way.

Interesting point from a friend at ITN. There is very poor cellular coverage at Balmoral so networks will need to utilise other options, such as sat trucks as mentioned by someone else. There is no 5G at all, and some networks haven't even got 4G!

https://www.signalchecker.co.uk/braemar

RE: Queen Elizabeth Health - Ash101 - 08-09-2022

(08-09-2022, 02:24 PM)BBCMeridian Wrote:  I'm Surprised that ITV have not interrupted its programmes to cover the concerning news from Buckingham Palace.

They had an excellent 30 minutes at 1:30 with Chris Ship in the studio.

But I guess in this current situation, there isn't any need for them to add a rolling news afternoon. BBC One are only showing BBC News because it is already broadcasting...

RE: Queen Elizabeth Health - Keith - 08-09-2022

(08-09-2022, 02:13 PM)Renap Wrote:  Surprised they never used the new studio for this when they switched to Huw. As they could have changed the background for it.

If it doesn't exist now, they probably are going to deal with that theme soon.
I'd imagine they would have done some rehearsals in the new studio B set. It's reasonable to assume that any special programming is likely to come from that studio at some point in the future.

As for using it for rolling news I seem to recall the galleries are linked to specific studios, so to switch studios would presumably have required staff to switch galleries. I imagine it would probably be deemed a bit OTT at this stage to switch studios, given that currently the only press release is about concerns for her health, even though her immediately family are heading up there straightaway.

RE: Queen Elizabeth Health - Radio_man - 08-09-2022

(08-09-2022, 02:13 PM)Renap Wrote:  Surprised they never used the new studio for this when they switched to Huw. As they could have changed the background for it.

They kept the Nine O'Clock News dark look when it came to Diana, should try and do something similar.

'The Context' London backdrop in C would be one of the most appropriate to use right now, surely? They must have thought of a suitable backdrop and studio for this occasion, given how frantic the background in E would be with this news, and how that's not appropriate for this occasion.

RE: Queen Elizabeth Health - XIII - 08-09-2022

It's a tricky situation for the broadcasters as they got lambasted for the wall to wall coverage of Prince Philip which I think went on too long but then again this is something that is a momentous occasion as well.

RE: Queen Elizabeth Health - ALV - 08-09-2022

Switching studios isn’t as simple as you think in this scenario

For starters BBC One is taking the network TX feed so you need to coordinate with network controllers to ask One to switch to Studio B at a designated time with the NC

Secondly you probably need at another gallery crew to setup, since the current on duty NC crew is on air - which I’m not sure if they have a spare crew on standby in breaking news situations like currently…

The end goal is to get information out quickly, so it’s best to keep things simple

RE: Queen Elizabeth Health - Jon - 08-09-2022

(08-09-2022, 02:31 PM)XIII Wrote:  It's a tricky situation for the broadcasters as they got lambasted for the wall to wall coverage of Prince Philip which I think went on too long but then again this is something that is a momentous occasion as well.
It’s the Queen, so even if they’ve taken that on board you’re still going to get at the very least the same amount of coverage.

RE: Queen Elizabeth Health - qwerty123 - 08-09-2022

(08-09-2022, 02:35 PM)ALV Wrote:  

Switching studios isn’t as simple as you think in this scenario

For starters BBC One is taking the network TX feed so you need to coordinate with network controllers to ask One to switch to Studio B at a designated time with the NC

Secondly you probably need at another gallery crew to setup, since the current on duty NC crew is on air - which I’m not sure if they have a spare crew on standby in breaking news situations like currently…

The end goal is to get information out quickly, so it’s best to keep things simple

A second gallery crew in itself shouldn't be too much of an issue given the NC and World are currently in an unscheduled simulcast meaning the world crew would essentially be free to get another studio on air. The bigger issue from that perspective would be whether either of the duty crews are trained on B given NC and World are yet to come from B outside of BBC1 simulcasts.

RE: Queen Elizabeth Health - aaron_scotland - 08-09-2022

(08-09-2022, 02:28 PM)Newsroom Wrote:  
(08-09-2022, 02:19 PM)aaron_scotland Wrote:  Police outside Balmoral are erecting fencing, obviously expecting a lot of media trucks that must be on the way.

Interesting point from a friend at ITN. There is very poor cellular coverage at Balmoral so networks will need to utilise other options, such as sat trucks as mentioned by someone else. There is no 5G at all, and some networks haven't even got 4G!

https://www.signalchecker.co.uk/braemar

Reuters have had a live feed of Balmoral on their youtube for a bit now, they seem to be the first to get there. Not sure if they are relaying a BBC OB via pool coverage though.