Pres Café
HM Queen Elizabeth Dies & Funeral Coverage - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: HM Queen Elizabeth Dies & Funeral Coverage (/showthread.php?tid=148)

RE: Queen Elizabeth Dies - aaron_scotland - 11-09-2022

(11-09-2022, 04:46 PM)ShinyBat Wrote:  
(11-09-2022, 04:29 PM)Jon Wrote:  It’s also possible Liz Truss knew at that earlier time those senior enough at the BBC and presumably other broadcasters were told. But was only told in an official sense at 4:30pm.

I wonder if it could have been reporters finding out from members of the royal family directly.

Could well have been that there were effectively two processes at this point; a formal one beginning at 4:30pm, and an informal one that effectively started around the first "medical supervision" statement four hours before that.

If the control room at NBH didn't know when the formal confirmation would arrive until it literally did, one presumes others didn't either. But if those beeps at 3pm are the RATS, surely that spills out all over NBH including to the control room?

It makes no sense that the RAT alarm would be an audible alarm in a TV Studio, even in the control room to be honest. It is surely just a light.

RE: Queen Elizabeth Dies - Daveuk - 11-09-2022

First post and it’s a moan….

For the love of god BBC get ride of you dam graphics at the bottom of the screen… we know what we’re watching. Fine for the News Channel and Word News but BBC One…? Really

Am surprised that there are no special graphics for this like with Sky News. Sky seems far more appropriate with the black ticker and dark purple theme.

…Rant over!

RE: Queen Elizabeth Dies - ALV - 11-09-2022

The BBC (World) News at Six titles is being used for the national bulletin at 5PM this evening... Yes I know some of you here insists the branding of the mighty Gill Sans number 6 matters very very much on a day of national importance like today, BUT isn't it a bit weird seeing it at 5PM or 7PM?
[Image: 899a096d09fc5c473bf99d9fe708d473.png]

RE: Queen Elizabeth Dies - Meteor - 11-09-2022

Just want to say that the presenter and guests on BBC today have been a real joy to listen to. A gentle, respectful conversation around the events of the day.

RE: Queen Elizabeth Dies - Meteor - 11-09-2022

(11-09-2022, 12:49 PM)aclk95 Wrote:  
(11-09-2022, 12:17 PM)The_IT_Technician Wrote:  Looks like G-INTV is in the air over Aberdeenshire to cover this event for broadcasters. 

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/id/GINTV-1662891187-adhoc-0

Question. How are the heli pictures getting out to the world. 

Is the helicopter kitted with ulive / starlink or similar to broadcast the images, or has there been truck and tracking dishes setup on hill somewhere to provide an uplink.

I ask as some of the coverage has been quite rural and the PQ has been quite stable.

I think they might be using LiveU or a similar solution, the picture seemed to go down in quality for a few seconds here and there

Possibly experimentally. It did not work well. Normally a transponder on the helicopter broadcasts line-of-sight either to an orbiting fixed-wing aircraft or a ground station which sends the feed on via satellite. No aircraft above the helicopter today.

Btw, that sound in the YouTube video is just a phone alarm or timer going off. The whisperings probably the floor manager telling whoever owned the phone to get rid of it!

RE: Queen Elizabeth Dies - eyeTV - 11-09-2022

(11-09-2022, 04:55 PM)Daveuk Wrote:  First post and it’s a moan….

For the love of god BBC get ride of you dam graphics at the bottom of the screen… we know what we’re watching. Fine for the News Channel and Word News but BBC One…? Really

Am surprised that there are no special graphics for this like with Sky News. Sky seems far more appropriate with the black ticker and dark purple theme.

…Rant over!

The least intrusive coverage for screen clutter has been ITV.  Like you say, it's really not necessary for BBC One and I would prefer they ditched it all.

RE: Queen Elizabeth Dies - OliverC - 11-09-2022

Does anyone have any video of the death announcement but with split screen across the five main UK channels? (BBC1, BBC2, ITV, C4 & C5)

RE: Queen Elizabeth Dies - Pips2022 - 11-09-2022

Not sure actual information I’ve gleaned is going to sit well on this thread where outlandish theories are now rife, but (once again, but with slightly more detail now)- The BBC etc were working off inference rather than information. I can assure you the media only had confirmation at 1831, but the editors in chief of the main news providers were given a 5 minute or so warning at 1825 that the statement was coming. That’s it.

RE: Queen Elizabeth Dies - ShinyBat - 11-09-2022

(11-09-2022, 05:45 PM)Pips2022 Wrote:  Not sure actual information I’ve gleaned is going to sit well on this thread where outlandish theories are now rife, but (once again, but with slightly more detail now)- The BBC etc were working off inference rather than information. I can assure you the media only had confirmation at 1831, but the editors in chief of the main news providers were given a 5 minute or so warning at 1825 that the statement was coming. That’s it.

That all makes complete sense - was just weird to think that there was the beeps/whisper at 1502 (and at least one reporter accidentally tweeting out an announcement at 1507 - apparently one or two from commercial media too?) when that doesn't fit in at all with Truss learning at 1630 and all formal media announcements happening over the few minutes from 1830 when the Royal Family tweeted the news and a simultaneous or nearly-simultaneous message was sent over the PA wire.

There was, as you imply, a lot of inferred meaning from the earlier statements; that created a void all afternoon for little things like beeps and whispers to be given meaning!

RE: Queen Elizabeth Dies - Frances - 11-09-2022

(11-09-2022, 05:06 PM)ALV Wrote:  The BBC (World) News at Six titles is being used for the national bulletin at 5PM this evening... Yes I know some of you here insists the branding of the mighty Gill Sans number 6 matters very very much on a day of national importance like today, BUT isn't it a bit weird seeing it at 5PM or 7PM?
[Image: 899a096d09fc5c473bf99d9fe708d473.png]

I don’t remember when was the last time I saw a Sunday Six… It’s weirder that the backdrop did not use the numbers 6 and 10 this weekend despite the numerical intros were shown…

I don’t think it’s necessary to introduce a Six intro on Sat and Sun especially it’s at 5pm - the Six is not a brand strong as the Ten.

Prince Philip’s funeral was on a Saturday and they brought Huw to present the late bulletin which began at proper 10pm, but that time it was just a generic intro.

And it’s definitely not Gill Sans.