Pres Café
HM Queen Elizabeth Dies & Funeral Coverage - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: HM Queen Elizabeth Dies & Funeral Coverage (/showthread.php?tid=148)

RE: Queen Elizabeth Dies - ShinyBat - 11-09-2022

(11-09-2022, 06:12 PM)Frances Wrote:  
(11-09-2022, 05:06 PM)ALV Wrote:  The BBC (World) News at Six titles is being used for the national bulletin at 5PM this evening... Yes I know some of you here insists the branding of the mighty Gill Sans number 6 matters very very much on a day of national importance like today, BUT isn't it a bit weird seeing it at 5PM or 7PM?
[Image: 899a096d09fc5c473bf99d9fe708d473.png]

I don’t remember when was the last time I saw a Sunday Six… It’s weirder that the backdrop did not use the numbers 6 and 10 this weekend despite the numerical intros were shown…

I don’t think it’s necessary to introduce a Six intro on Sat and Sun especially it’s at 5pm - the Six is not a brand strong as the Ten.

Prince Philip’s funeral was on a Saturday and they brought Huw to present the late bulletin which began at proper 10pm, but that time it was just a generic intro.

And it’s definitely not Gill Sans.

Was going to say that looked like a Reith 6!

Weird that they used it at all though. I know that for iPlayer archive purposes the "One" remained as its branding through the Tokyo Olympics when it was airing at Not One - I think it aired at 11:30am to be finished ahead of the opening ceremony, then at 12 over the subsequent two weeks - but I don't remember if those had a generic intro or not.

RE: Queen Elizabeth Dies - Milkshake - 11-09-2022

The Adverts have returned on ITV. ( during Emmerdale first Ad break )

RE: Queen Elizabeth Dies - BBI45 - 11-09-2022

Interesting capture from Spanish TV:

https://youtu.be/EnZ9YYAN9C8?t=88 

RE: Queen Elizabeth Dies - ALV - 11-09-2022

(11-09-2022, 06:12 PM)Frances Wrote:  And it’s definitely not Gill Sans.
My bad! I JUST realized the 6 and 10 numbers got Reith-ed (while the 1 is still Gill Sans) when they moved to Studio B~ I seem to miss this back in TVL and I certainly was so used to the mix and match of the Gill Sans titles and the Reith logo I never realized the numbers got updated!
[Image: 3f2cee28b38a16690287887ac017a1ad.png]

RE: Queen Elizabeth Dies - Milkshake - 11-09-2022

(11-09-2022, 05:31 PM)OliverC Wrote:  Does anyone have any video of the death announcement but with split screen across the five main UK channels? (BBC1, BBC2, ITV, C4 & C5)

There is a thread on twitter: https://twitter.com/LeighButcher/status/1567970983151284224 

RE: Queen Elizabeth Dies - steve - 11-09-2022

(11-09-2022, 06:15 PM)ShinyBat Wrote:  
(11-09-2022, 05:06 PM)ALV Wrote:  The BBC (World) News at Six titles is being used for the national bulletin at 5PM this evening... Yes I know some of you here insists the branding of the mighty Gill Sans number 6 matters very very much on a day of national importance like today, BUT isn't it a bit weird seeing it at 5PM or 7PM?

I don’t remember when was the last time I saw a Sunday Six… It’s weirder that the backdrop did not use the numbers 6 and 10 this weekend despite the numerical intros were shown…

I don’t think it’s necessary to introduce a Six intro on Sat and Sun especially it’s at 5pm - the Six is not a brand strong as the Ten.

Prince Philip’s funeral was on a Saturday and they brought Huw to present the late bulletin which began at proper 10pm, but that time it was just a generic intro.

Weird that they used it at all though. I know that for iPlayer archive purposes the "One" remained as its branding through the Tokyo Olympics when it was airing at Not One - I think it aired at 11:30am to be finished ahead of the opening ceremony, then at 12 over the subsequent two weeks - but I don't remember if those had a generic intro or not.

I’m wondering if they have a generic, non-time branded version of the B titles? I’m trying to think if they’ve used one - but surely they must?

(11-09-2022, 05:11 PM)Meteor Wrote:  Just want to say that the presenter and guests on BBC today have been a real joy to listen to. A gentle, respectful conversation around the events of the day.

Yes, I thought Jane Hill was excellent (as ever) and Martin Geissler very good as the ‘presenter’s friend’. It seems a waste of his talents to be hidden away on The Nine tbh! But doing six hours on air non-stop is quite something (I didn’t see it all but I presume they were on throughout?!)

(11-09-2022, 05:45 PM)Pips2022 Wrote:  Not sure actual information I’ve gleaned is going to sit well on this thread where outlandish theories are now rife, but (once again, but with slightly more detail now)- The BBC etc were working off inference rather than information. I can assure you the media only had confirmation at 1831, but the editors in chief of the main news providers were given a 5 minute or so warning at 1825 that the statement was coming. That’s it.
Yes, the PM knew in the morning that it was grave, and I’m sure that being known in government will have been then shared behind the scenes, hence the reason for going open ended at 12.30 based on what in literal reading of the statement perhaps didn’t call for it.  

But no-one knew for sure in the media until 6.25pm, albeit as has been said it was becoming obvious when no-one in government was returning calls, people who change flags were seen in government buildings, etc.

RE: Queen Elizabeth Dies - m_in_m - 11-09-2022

(11-09-2022, 07:12 PM)steve Wrote:  
(11-09-2022, 06:15 PM)ShinyBat Wrote:  

I’m wondering if they have a generic, non-time branded version of the B titles? I’m trying to think if they’ve used one - but surely they must?

(11-09-2022, 05:11 PM)Meteor Wrote:  Just want to say that the presenter and guests on BBC today have been a real joy to listen to. A gentle, respectful conversation around the events of the day.

Yes, I thought Jane Hill was excellent (as ever) and Martin Geissler very good as the ‘presenter’s friend’. It seems a waste of his talents to be hidden away on The Nine tbh! But doing six hours on air non-stop is quite something (I didn’t see it all but I presume they were on throughout?!)

(11-09-2022, 05:45 PM)Pips2022 Wrote:  Not sure actual information I’ve gleaned is going to sit well on this thread where outlandish theories are now rife, but (once again, but with slightly more detail now)- The BBC etc were working off inference rather than information. I can assure you the media only had confirmation at 1831, but the editors in chief of the main news providers were given a 5 minute or so warning at 1825 that the statement was coming. That’s it.
Yes, the PM knew in the morning that it was grave, and I’m sure that being known in government will have been then shared behind the scenes, hence the reason for going open ended at 12.30 based on what in literal reading of the statement perhaps didn’t call for it.  

But no-one knew for sure in the media until 6.25pm, albeit as has been said it was becoming obvious when no-one in government was returning calls, people who change flags were seen in government buildings, etc.
I think the simple fact that a statement was released was hugely significant and will have been enough to prompt open ended coverage. The Palace avoided discussing or issuing statements regarding the Queen's health. It was always considered a private matter.

RE: Queen Elizabeth Dies - Stooky Bill - 11-09-2022

(11-09-2022, 03:16 PM)eyeTV Wrote:  GB News don't appear to have had any of the helicopter aerial shots. I thought they had joined the BBC / ITN / Sky broadcasting pool, but some of the coverage suggests otherwise.

Thing is that to be a member of the pool they have to contribute to it. The coverage has been a joint effort between Sky, ITN and the BBC and will have been planned as such. For example I saw something the other day where an ITN cameraman was being assisted by a BBC engineer.

The problem newcomers like GB News and Talk TV have is that they're not very well resourced, they don't have cameras and crew and infrastructure to bring to the party. They covered their jubilee coverage on iffy LiveU connections and professional standard cameras, that's not good enough.

They are recipients and contributors of pool pictures when there's only one broadcaster allowed to provide video, for example an interview or an event like a debate.

(11-09-2022, 03:35 PM)aaron_scotland Wrote:  
(11-09-2022, 03:23 PM)AJB39 Wrote:  Is this the longest car journey ever to be broadcast on British tv?

Sure feels like it  Big Grin

Interesting the 4G in Fife is pretty crap compared to the countryside between Aberdeen and Dundee, picture has been awful for a bit now.

That'll be because there's more people in Fife than there are in the countryside

RE: Queen Elizabeth Dies - steve - 11-09-2022

(11-09-2022, 07:22 PM)m_in_m Wrote:  I think the simple fact that a statement was released was hugely significant and will have been enough to prompt open ended coverage. The Palace avoided discussing or issuing statements regarding the Queen's health. It was always considered a private matter.
Sorry, yes -  completely agree, I just meant more a case of putting lots of jigsaw pieces together to know it was coming within hours rather than days.

RE: Queen Elizabeth Dies - ShinyBat - 11-09-2022

That first statement was certainly set up to subtly imply she was dying ("comfortable"!) - not to mention the implicit signals from the amassed family members at Balmoral.

There was a similar implicit signal with Diana (Robin Cook's flight out of Manila as part of a diplomatic tour of SE Asia - the time zone difference meaning it was daytime there - being grounded per protocol of no government member being in the air at the time of a royal death announcement), but I think in that case there'd been an explicit embargoed announcement to media via the journalists covering that diplomatic business.

What strikes me as interesting is that ITV and 5 both went open-ended at 1700 and no sooner (and 4 not at all until the announcement, but their remit makes it sensible for them to be the outlier). I wonder how those decisions on when to break normal programming were made.