Pres Café
HM Queen Elizabeth Dies & Funeral Coverage - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: HM Queen Elizabeth Dies & Funeral Coverage (/showthread.php?tid=148)

RE: Queen Elizabeth Dies - steve - 11-09-2022

Again, jigsaw pieces but once you knew senior Royals were on their way, you probably knew the likely outcome but you’d also know they wouldn’t announce until after they arrived at Balmoral. They arrived (from memory) about 5 so a reasonable time to go on air probably from ITV’s point of view.

RE: Queen Elizabeth Dies - Stooky Bill - 11-09-2022

(11-09-2022, 01:20 PM)justin Wrote:  This is the clip. I'm not sure if anyone recognises the notification sound as being normal, it takes a couple moments for someone to switch off. Around 30 seconds later, you can hear someone walking onto the set, and then - more audibly - whisper something to Nicholas Witchell, while Huw is speaking.  I can't make out the specific words but the sentence does seem to end in "fallen". Theoretically, it doesn't make sense why the news has to be orally delivered to the Royal Correspondent, but that alternatively would be intentionally leaving the control room in the dark - therefore wanting to avoid using the earpiece.

The whole 'London Bridge has Fallen' is very overstated, it certainly wouldn't be used to inform a news presenter. They'd be told directly 

I don't think 'Operation London Bridge' is even a thing at the BBC, its a codeword for one of the plans for a royal death and the BBC and others  will know what it (and the other Operations such as Lion, Unicorn, Marquee etc) contains, but it's a codeword for the Palace and the Government

RE: Queen Elizabeth Dies - eyeTV - 11-09-2022

GB News have obviously benefited from Alastair Stewart during this coverage but in hindsight it was a really bad time for them to let Colin Brazier go.

RE: Queen Elizabeth Dies - Jon - 11-09-2022

Listening to that clip back it sounds like “so basically London must have fallen” is what’s being whispered.

So I assume this was the point that BBC believed it could have probably happened. Perhaps the alarm was some sort of ring tone of a producer who was waiting to talk to Witchell on the side of the set, who amongst all the activity forgot to put her phone on silent.

RE: Queen Elizabeth Dies - Steve in Pudsey - 11-09-2022

I daresay Simon McCoy, as a former Royal Correspondent, would have had a useful contribution too if he was still with them.

RE: Queen Elizabeth Dies - James2001 - 11-09-2022

Does anyone know if there's likely to be a death certificate released into the public domain which will let us know the time and cause of death, or if that sort of thing's likely to stay private?

RE: Queen Elizabeth Dies - Superman1986 - 11-09-2022

Is this is the first time we’ve seen ITV News At Ten on a Sunday?

RE: Queen Elizabeth Dies - James2001 - 11-09-2022

One thing that really did shake me about the last few days are the photos of the queen metting Liz Truss where she has discoloured hands. My grandmother died last year, aged 97, and her hands went like that the last few weeks of her life. It bought a lot of the grief flooding back to me.

I think it's the main reason I've got emotional and defensive over the hate I've seen her get online, even though I've never really been much of a fan of the royals.

RE: Queen Elizabeth Dies - Frances - 11-09-2022

(11-09-2022, 07:12 PM)steve Wrote:  
(11-09-2022, 06:15 PM)ShinyBat Wrote:  
(11-09-2022, 06:12 PM)Frances Wrote:  
(11-09-2022, 05:06 PM)ALV Wrote:  The BBC (World) News at Six titles is being used for the national bulletin at 5PM this evening... Yes I know some of you here insists the branding of the mighty Gill Sans number 6 matters very very much on a day of national importance like today, BUT isn't it a bit weird seeing it at 5PM or 7PM?
[Image: 899a096d09fc5c473bf99d9fe708d473.png]

I don’t remember when was the last time I saw a Sunday Six… It’s weirder that the backdrop did not use the numbers 6 and 10 this weekend despite the numerical intros were shown…

I don’t think it’s necessary to introduce a Six intro on Sat and Sun especially it’s at 5pm - the Six is not a brand strong as the Ten.

Prince Philip’s funeral was on a Saturday and they brought Huw to present the late bulletin which began at proper 10pm, but that time it was just a generic intro.

And it’s definitely not Gill Sans.

Was going to say that looked like a Reith 6!

Weird that they used it at all though. I know that for iPlayer archive purposes the "One" remained as its branding through the Tokyo Olympics when it was airing at Not One - I think it aired at 11:30am to be finished ahead of the opening ceremony, then at 12 over the subsequent two weeks - but I don't remember if those had a generic intro or not.

I’m wondering if they have a generic, non-time branded version of the B titles? I’m trying to think if they’ve used one - but surely they must?
They had used the generic B title on the day Rishi Sunak resigned, when the Six was delayed until only 1813.

I agree that 6 and 10 brands should be used on some important days, but the most important one was the day HM passed away - and then we got a BBC News-less obit intro.

RE: Queen Elizabeth Dies - Omnipresent - 11-09-2022

(11-09-2022, 09:45 PM)James2001 Wrote:  Does anyone know if there's likely to be a death certificate released into the public domain which will let us know the time and cause of death, or if that sort of thing's likely to stay private?

I suspect these details will stay private.  I don't think the exact time of death of Prince Philip was ever officially confirmed.  The Royal Family have also strongly resisted other matters, such as Prince Philip's will, being unsealed and released to the public

Aside from the fact that members of the Royal Family travelling to Balmoral would trigger speculation, I suspect the initial lunchtime statement was more for the benefit of the public than the media to prepare people for the later announcement.