Pres Café
HM Queen Elizabeth Dies & Funeral Coverage - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: HM Queen Elizabeth Dies & Funeral Coverage (/showthread.php?tid=148)

RE: HM Queen Elizabeth Dies & Funeral Coverage - Jon - 19-09-2022

I wonder why TalkTV and GB News didn’t take the proper feeds away from the services, did they refuse to pay enough or were they totally locked out by the BBC?

RE: HM Queen Elizabeth Dies & Funeral Coverage - Transmission - 19-09-2022

(19-09-2022, 05:13 PM)ALV Wrote:  The BBC NC and WN didn't opt out for their own filler when the network played the sombre ident in between the national bulletin and the end of the special programme. The viewers on NC and WN could saw the announcement "now on BBC One... the BBC News with Fiona Bruce, live from Windsor" before the national bulletin...

The news channel also had the announcement into the start of the funeral coverage so I assume they've been taking BBC One's output since Breakfast.

RE: HM Queen Elizabeth Dies & Funeral Coverage - LouBlu08 - 19-09-2022

In terms of subscription based kids channels, Nick Jr. was running off the clock earlier and didn't show any ads.

Also the channel seems to be on autopilot, as they were advertising a new episode of one of their shows using a special DOG saying when it would be on... while the episode was airing.

They were also marathoning their Paddington show, and wholly believe that it was intentionally done for The Queen's funeral.

RE: HM Queen Elizabeth Dies & Funeral Coverage - ginnyfan - 19-09-2022

(19-09-2022, 05:29 PM)Transmission Wrote:  
(19-09-2022, 05:13 PM)ALV Wrote:  The BBC NC and WN didn't opt out for their own filler when the network played the sombre ident in between the national bulletin and the end of the special programme. The viewers on NC and WN could saw the announcement "now on BBC One... the BBC News with Fiona Bruce, live from Windsor" before the national bulletin...

The news channel also had the announcement into the start of the funeral coverage so I assume they've been taking BBC One's output since Breakfast.

World as well. Its been a BBC One simulcast ever since Breakfast, idents and all.

Kirsty Young's closing was emotional, honest and poignant. A perfect closure of BBC's impeccable coverage.

RE: HM Queen Elizabeth Dies & Funeral Coverage - robrymond - 19-09-2022

(19-09-2022, 05:22 PM)Josh Wrote:  I can't be the only one that thought the continuity announcement into the News at 5 was a bit too... jovial?

No, it was awful as I mentioned in another thread. Thankfully the output was sublime and closing monologue from Kirsty great. But sadly with the world watching they got it very wrong with the announcer today. Is this the first junction today out of interest?

RE: HM Queen Elizabeth Dies & Funeral Coverage - DJCC7 - 19-09-2022

I thought the BBC's coverage has been totally superb for 10 days - they haven't put a single foot wrong. I especially loved the BBC montage at the end of coverage today, and the clever camera shots above the Horseguards parade arch and the Abbey overhead shot.

Some questions that I have that have been niggling me throughout the coverage:

1) It looked like most of the ceremonial coverage was pooled (same footage on BBC, ITV, Sky etc) - how was it agreed who would cover what? Did all the networks merge their staff into a kind of World Feed or would different networks take the lead on different events?

2) The BBC had a lying-in-state feed running 24/7 - would they have had human camera operators or fixed cameras? It seemed there was a lot of zooming in and out and switching of cameras - would there have been directors working around the clock? Sounds like quite a big operation!

3) Some of the ceremonial events, especially the processions, seemed to have literally hundreds of cameras following everything - how did they secure sufficient OB/camera resource in time?

4) Some of the camera shots looked extremely well rehearsed - for something like the Abbey today what opportunities would broadcasters have had to rehearse? Not with the King etc obviously, but the ceremonial aspects

Thanks anyone who can help!

RE: HM Queen Elizabeth Dies & Funeral Coverage - Isonstine - 19-09-2022

(19-09-2022, 05:22 PM)Josh Wrote:  I can't be the only one that thought the continuity announcement into the News at 5 was a bit too... jovial?

Didn't really capture the tone of the day at all and felt far too upbeat. To be kind, it may have been an attempt to bring back a sense of normality. But, it was off the back of Kirsty's closing remarks (which was absolutely fantastic) and montage which meant it could have done with something a little more low key. We're all human though and it must have been difficult to judge the delivery off the back of hours of sombre coverage.

I also noticed the extended BBC News titles contained the old BBC logo. Not a major thing of course but considering everything else had been so polished it was a little surprising.

RE: HM Queen Elizabeth Dies & Funeral Coverage - Neil Jones - 19-09-2022

(19-09-2022, 05:57 PM)DJCC7 Wrote:  I thought the BBC's coverage has been totally superb for 10 days - they haven't put a single foot wrong. I especially loved the BBC montage at the end of coverage today, and the clever camera shots above the Horseguards parade arch and the Abbey overhead shot.

1) It looked like most of the ceremonial coverage was pooled (same footage on BBC, ITV, Sky etc) - how was it agreed who would cover what? Did all the networks merge their staff into a kind of World Feed or would different networks take the lead on different events?

2) The BBC had a lying-in-state feed running 24/7 - would they have had human camera operators or fixed cameras? It seemed there was a lot of zooming in and out and switching of cameras - would there have been directors working around the clock? Sounds like quite a big operation!

3) Some of the ceremonial events, especially the processions, seemed to have literally hundreds of cameras following everything - how did they secure sufficient OB/camera resource in time?

4) Some of the camera shots looked extremely well rehearsed - for something like the Abbey today what opportunities would broadcasters have had to rehearse? Not with the King etc obviously, but the ceremonial aspects

Pretty sure I read somewhere the BBC did the internal coverage, so inside the abbey (and maybe the later service), and Sky were doing the outside coverage.

The lying-in state footage was on at least six different channels on YouTube when it was a live stream, so it was clearly pooled. The same feed went out on the red button and BBC Parliament. Cameras almost certainly remote controlled, you couldn't see anybody on the wide shots (or the cameras come to that) and it was too "slick" (for want of a better word) the parts I saw to be automated - especially as the changing of the guard drifted in time the longer it went on, which would have required some manual control. The protocol was every 20 minutes changing of the guard. Rarely was it, for various reasons.

No doubt the three P's - Plan, Prepare, and Present.

RE: HM Queen Elizabeth Dies & Funeral Coverage - Rob Francis - 19-09-2022

I haven't been able to watch as much of the coverage as I wanted to over the last few days, but I have to applaud the BBC for today's funeral coverage. Kirsty Young's final piece to camera was simply perfect.

RE: HM Queen Elizabeth Dies & Funeral Coverage - bakamann - 19-09-2022

(19-09-2022, 05:57 PM)DJCC7 Wrote:  I thought the BBC's coverage has been totally superb for 10 days - they haven't put a single foot wrong. I especially loved the BBC montage at the end of coverage today, and the clever camera shots above the Horseguards parade arch and the Abbey overhead shot.

I think some of the answers to your questions are in this article.

https://inews.co.uk/news/media/queen-funeral-tv-records-broadcasters-rehearsing-decades-1863667