Pres Café
HM Queen Elizabeth Dies & Funeral Coverage - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: HM Queen Elizabeth Dies & Funeral Coverage (/showthread.php?tid=148)

RE: HM Queen Elizabeth Dies & Funeral Coverage - Andrew - 19-09-2022

The directors who were in charge of today’s events should be proud of themselves, I don’t think there was a single misstep. Usually you might get a duff microphone for a second, or cutting to a camera just as the operator decides to zoom off onto a different shot, but there was none of this

The amount of cameras they had, and now they were all ‘invisible’ was a great achievement as well, particularly the ones in the roof

I presume pretty much every member of technical staff at BBC Events, ITN and Sky News were involved today

RE: HM Queen Elizabeth Dies & Funeral Coverage - thegeek - 19-09-2022

As the article hints, resources from sports OBs have been made available for the coverage. While a fair chunk of the weekend's Premier League went ahead, three cancelled fixtures (largely for policing reasons) will have freed up a handful of trucks and quite a few crew; while others might have had a bit of a slimming down of facilities compared to their usual spec.

The big OB providers will have been on retainer for decades for this occasion, and will no doubt have been involved in the regular planning meetings too - though I'd imagine the exact details of which trucks were going where won't have been firmed up until last week.

I caught a little bit of the 'Eve of the funeral' show on BBC One last night and it struck me as a bit of a dress rehearsal for making sure all the OBs worked into each other as it was an actual preview show for the rest of us...

RE: HM Queen Elizabeth Dies & Funeral Coverage - ginnyfan - 19-09-2022

(19-09-2022, 06:06 PM)Isonstine Wrote:  
(19-09-2022, 05:22 PM)Josh Wrote:  I can't be the only one that thought the continuity announcement into the News at 5 was a bit too... jovial?

Didn't really capture the tone of the day at all and felt far too upbeat. To be kind, it may have been an attempt to bring back a sense of normality. But, it was off the back of Kirsty's closing remarks (which was absolutely fantastic) and montage which meant it could have done with something a little more low key. We're all human though and it must have been difficult to judge the delivery off the back of hours of sombre coverage.

I also noticed the extended BBC News titles contained the old BBC logo. Not a major thing of course but considering everything else had been so polished it was a little surprising.

It was awful the first time I saw it and now watching again. Bizarre that someone thought reading the announcement that way was normal just after the funeral has ended.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RA7ePi_nL1A 

RE: HM Queen Elizabeth Dies & Funeral Coverage - no1fanofthepals - 19-09-2022

(19-09-2022, 05:57 PM)DJCC7 Wrote:  I thought the BBC's coverage has been totally superb for 10 days - they haven't put a single foot wrong. I especially loved the BBC montage at the end of coverage today, and the clever camera shots above the Horseguards parade arch and the Abbey overhead shot.

Some questions that I have that have been niggling me throughout the coverage:

1) It looked like most of the ceremonial coverage was pooled (same footage on BBC, ITV, Sky etc) - how was it agreed who would cover what? Did all the networks merge their staff into a kind of World Feed or would different networks take the lead on different events?

2) The BBC had a lying-in-state feed running 24/7 - would they have had human camera operators or fixed cameras? It seemed there was a lot of zooming in and out and switching of cameras - would there have been directors working around the clock? Sounds like quite a big operation!

3) Some of the ceremonial events, especially the processions, seemed to have literally hundreds of cameras following everything - how did they secure sufficient OB/camera resource in time?

4) Some of the camera shots looked extremely well rehearsed - for something like the Abbey today what opportunities would broadcasters have had to rehearse? Not with the King etc obviously, but the ceremonial aspects

Thanks anyone who can help!
They may have rehearsed the Abbey stuff late at night as in the daytime, tourists would notice. If they did do it in the daytime, it would have to have been a not too busy day – maybe even when it was closed?

RE: HM Queen Elizabeth Dies & Funeral Coverage - Steve in Pudsey - 19-09-2022

It's a shame that the Coronation presumably won't follow for some time. It would have been nice to have had a BBC Sport end of games style montage with credits sequence listing everybody who was involved, but that would be more appropriate for a more celebratory occasion than today's.

RE: HM Queen Elizabeth Dies & Funeral Coverage - mark - 19-09-2022

Sorry if it's already been asked and answered, but does anyone know what the BBC's theme music is, and whether it's available to listen anywhere (other than on the coverage itself)?

I'm guessing it's a bespoke piece of production music, but but thought I'd ask on the off-chance.

RE: HM Queen Elizabeth Dies & Funeral Coverage - Lester - 19-09-2022

(19-09-2022, 06:57 PM)ginnyfan Wrote:  
(19-09-2022, 06:06 PM)Isonstine Wrote:  
(19-09-2022, 05:22 PM)Josh Wrote:  I can't be the only one that thought the continuity announcement into the News at 5 was a bit too... jovial?

Didn't really capture the tone of the day at all and felt far too upbeat. To be kind, it may have been an attempt to bring back a sense of normality. But, it was off the back of Kirsty's closing remarks (which was absolutely fantastic) and montage which meant it could have done with something a little more low key. We're all human though and it must have been difficult to judge the delivery off the back of hours of sombre coverage.

I also noticed the extended BBC News titles contained the old BBC logo. Not a major thing of course but considering everything else had been so polished it was a little surprising.

It was awful the first time I saw it and now watching again. Bizarre that someone thought reading the announcement that way was normal just after the funeral has ended.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RA7ePi_nL1A 

I agree and was quite taken a back how jarring it was.

These newer continuity announcers don't seem a patch on the old stalwarts.

RE: HM Queen Elizabeth Dies & Funeral Coverage - Andrew - 19-09-2022

This documentary on ITV now is interesting, showing the day to day events going back to Tuesday 6th September

They managed to edit together the ITV announcement of Her Majesty’s death into something a bit smoother

RE: HM Queen Elizabeth Dies & Funeral Coverage - Steve in Pudsey - 19-09-2022

Apologies if this has already been mentioned, but this is pretty remarkable - a journalist for ABC in Australia vox popping the queue for Westminster Hall had a "Stuart Flinders meets Tommy Lawrence" moment with the former Black Rod David Leakey - live on air.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-09-15/former-black-rod-david-leakey-reflects-on-the-queen/14054514 

RE: HM Queen Elizabeth Dies & Funeral Coverage - Stooky Bill - 19-09-2022

(19-09-2022, 05:28 PM)Jon Wrote:  I wonder why TalkTV and GB News didn’t take the proper feeds away from the services, did they refuse to pay enough or were they totally locked out by the BBC?

The coverage was pooled between the main 3 broadcasters - BBC, ITN/ITV and Sky. I wouldn't have thought that the two smaller channels would be able to contribute to the coverage, neither has the resource or the budget to do so. So it's a case of either buying the coverage or doing their own thing. I don't know if they'd be charged more as a domestic rival than a foreign broadcaster. 

The ceremonies themselves I think will be different as they're official state occasions so I expect they're open for anyone to show. IIRC there's one event where actual ceremony itself can't be shown by the BBC best the rest of the coverage can - it's not theirs despite being filmed by them