Pres Café
HM Queen Elizabeth Dies & Funeral Coverage - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: HM Queen Elizabeth Dies & Funeral Coverage (/showthread.php?tid=148)

RE: HM Queen Elizabeth Dies & Funeral Coverage - bbctvtechop - 19-10-2022

Oh, and on Covid - yes, national covid restrictions have been lifted for months, but the BBC still has them in operational areas to protect critical staff. Galleries, studios, editing suites, etc all have a designated maximum number of people at any one time, determined by the size of the room and set by management. There are large signs on every door into these areas with the number stated. In one of the galleries I operate in, the Autocue op has been on a temporary desk outside the gallery for 2.5 years; in another galley both Autocue AND the PRODUCER are outside the gallery! And in others the producer has to leave the gallery to talk face to face to their colleagues as other people from the newsroom could not enter the gallery without going over the person limit.

This is all made a mockery of by management waltzing in when they fancy.

RE: HM Queen Elizabeth Dies & Funeral Coverage - bbctvtechop - 19-10-2022

(19-10-2022, 08:14 PM)Newsroom Wrote:  
(19-10-2022, 08:07 PM)bbctvtechop Wrote:  
(19-10-2022, 07:19 PM)Newsroom Wrote:  
(19-10-2022, 04:20 PM)bbctvtechop Wrote:  I'll never understand why the entire structure of management feel they have to be in the gallery for moments like this. It is completely distracting to the operators, undermines the authority of the producer and director, creates unnecessary stress, and why not book a meeting room with a large screen? Not to mention this breaks all of the covid-secure rules (set by the very same people ignoring them!) regarding maximum number of bodies in the gallery to protect operationally critical staff.

It's madness.
Why is it madness? There will never be a 'moment like this' The Covid restrictions came to an end months prior to the Queen's death. Tim Davie is the DG, Deborah Turner's is the CEO of News so why shouldn't they be in the gallery. The BBC were delivering the most important news of our lives, theirs too. Not madness at all.
Agree that this is probably the biggest "moment like this" but I can assure you over many years of experience that this happens all the time. New programme launches especially. As a sound op I find it so rude and distracting. The constant opening and closing of the doors, the general chit chat amongst managers, the "helpful" chipping in resulting in the producer and director (and therefore crew) not having their usual chain of command. I have made mistakes as a direct result of this, as have my colleagues, and I've witnessed more than one programme launch crash and burn because of the "too many cooks, especially cooks who don't know what they're doing" effect.

If I and my colleagues walked into a senior management meeting and sat at the back with our laptops, whispering amongst ourselves and occasionally chipping in with ideas, I would rightly be told where to go. I don't know why it's not the same discipline and respect the other way around. And that's putting aside the fact that they don't *need* to be in an operational, highly stressful gallery/studio environment to witness these things anyway - if they want to see the programme, watch the programme on a big screen in a meeting room.

Can you tell this makes me angry?!
I can, but I think you need to calm down (said with sincere politeness). Chris Cook was at the helm of the bridge and so I'm sure everyone was in the very best of hands. The team had been running all afternoon and the news could have broken at any moment. I'm sure both Davie, Turness, Munro and other management were on the newsroom floor. 

If I were management at the BBC, I'd want that moment captured.

Chris Cook is operational and therefore (a) a potential HELP in that situation; and (b) is fully aware of gallery workflow, etiquette and chain of command. Others, I can assure you with experience, are not and are often a serious hindrance.

I too understand that the cheese want to be seen by the cameras and the gallery looks sexy to viewers in the inevitable documentary later. But they should not forget that it is a highly stressful environment as it is, quadrupled by the news event we're discussing here, quadrupled again by the presence of management. Surely they don't want the crew and director to screw up this massive moment just so they can look good? I can assure you the Daily Mail headline "BBC cut to wrong camera/fade up wrong microphone when announcing death of queen to nation" won't be followed by "It happened when the head of BBC News' mobile rang loudly and the sound operator was distracted".

RE: HM Queen Elizabeth Dies & Funeral Coverage - steve - 19-10-2022

(19-10-2022, 08:14 PM)Newsroom Wrote:  
(19-10-2022, 08:07 PM)bbctvtechop Wrote:  
(19-10-2022, 07:19 PM)Newsroom Wrote:  
(19-10-2022, 04:20 PM)bbctvtechop Wrote:  I'll never understand why the entire structure of management feel they have to be in the gallery for moments like this. It is completely distracting to the operators, undermines the authority of the producer and director, creates unnecessary stress, and why not book a meeting room with a large screen? Not to mention this breaks all of the covid-secure rules (set by the very same people ignoring them!) regarding maximum number of bodies in the gallery to protect operationally critical staff.

It's madness.
Why is it madness? There will never be a 'moment like this' The Covid restrictions came to an end months prior to the Queen's death. Tim Davie is the DG, Deborah Turner's is the CEO of News so why shouldn't they be in the gallery. The BBC were delivering the most important news of our lives, theirs too. Not madness at all.
Agree that this is probably the biggest "moment like this" but I can assure you over many years of experience that this happens all the time. New programme launches especially. As a sound op I find it so rude and distracting. The constant opening and closing of the doors, the general chit chat amongst managers, the "helpful" chipping in resulting in the producer and director (and therefore crew) not having their usual chain of command. I have made mistakes as a direct result of this, as have my colleagues, and I've witnessed more than one programme launch crash and burn because of the "too many cooks, especially cooks who don't know what they're doing" effect.

If I and my colleagues walked into a senior management meeting and sat at the back with our laptops, whispering amongst ourselves and occasionally chipping in with ideas, I would rightly be told where to go. I don't know why it's not the same discipline and respect the other way around. And that's putting aside the fact that they don't *need* to be in an operational, highly stressful gallery/studio environment to witness these things anyway - if they want to see the programme, watch the programme on a big screen in a meeting room.

Can you tell this makes me angry?!
I can, but I think you need to calm down (said with sincere politeness). Chris Cook was at the helm of the bridge and so I'm sure everyone was in the very best of hands. The team had been running all afternoon and the news could have broken at any moment. I'm sure both Davie, Turness, Munro and other management were on the newsroom floor. 

If I were management at the BBC, I'd want that moment captured.
I also think, from experience of broadcasting live and producing live programmes, that on this occasion having the DG and News CEO in the gallery at that moment when Chris Cook and Huw are told ‘we’re good to go’ is probably reassuring given what was about to be announced. It’s a call you wouldn’t want to get wrong and having the broadcaster’s editor-in-chief in the gallery makes total sense.

RE: HM Queen Elizabeth Dies & Funeral Coverage - Steve in Pudsey - 19-10-2022

What, realistically, were they going to add to proceedings? What was about to unfold was heavily scripted and rehearsed, there wouldn't have been anything useful they could contribute at that point.

RE: HM Queen Elizabeth Dies & Funeral Coverage - steve - 19-10-2022

(19-10-2022, 09:02 PM)Steve in Pudsey Wrote:  What, realistically, were they going to add to proceedings? What was about to unfold was heavily scripted and rehearsed, there wouldn't have been anything useful they could contribute at that point.
I think for all staff at every level knowing the editor-in-chief had ok’d announcing the most significant news many would have to broadcast was a worthwhile contribution. Especially in an organisation where every tiny detail is poured over. If the contribution was simply not to say ‘wait’ or ‘stop’ then that’s probably useful in a key way. Just my view!

RE: HM Queen Elizabeth Dies & Funeral Coverage - Newsroom - 19-10-2022

(19-10-2022, 09:02 PM)Steve in Pudsey Wrote:  What, realistically, were they going to add to proceedings? What was about to unfold was heavily scripted and rehearsed, there wouldn't have been anything useful they could contribute at that point.
It’s only us on this forum who find it remotely interesting or not as the case may be.

They run the show, they can be where they want to be. They added nothing to proceedings other than moral support I guess. Turness in particular has spent hours in the gallery of an abundance of major news events, this was the biggest in her career, and probably Davie’s too. 

Let’s move on. There’s a government falling apart along with the country. Far more interesting.

Embargoed announcement - Ak25_ - 20-10-2022

A bbc local radio presenter on a Tik Tok live revealed today that on the day the queen died the bbc HAD been told in advance. 
They wouldn’t say what time they found out because they would get in trouble. But it certainly wasn’t at 1830 via the AP wire they claim was the first they’d heard. 
I frankly think it’s disgusting even sources like the BBC are lying to us.

RE: Embargoed announcement - agentsquash - 20-10-2022

(20-10-2022, 01:01 AM)I Ak25_ Wrote:  A bbc local radio presenter on a Tik Tok live revealed today that on the day the queen died the bbc HAD been told in advance. 
They wouldn’t say what time they found out because they would get in trouble. But it certainly wasn’t at 1830 via the AP wire they claim was the first they’d heard. 
I frankly think it’s disgusting even sources like the BBC are lying to us.

They’re hardly lying… believe it or not, there are protocols in place for the passing of a Head of State.

Huw’s statement was that Buckingham Palace ‘announced’ the death - the BBC getting a heads up of a passing is hardly the cue to announce it.

RE: HM Queen Elizabeth Dies & Funeral Coverage - Transmission - 20-10-2022

The BBC along with everyone else was of course expecting a statement would be likely following the day's events (both the ones obvious to everyone like the family flying to Balmoral and ones behind the scenes like MPs not responding to contact from journalists) but I know that the feeling at the BBC in the early evening was that if it wasn't announced by 1800 then as every minute went by it was getting more and more likely that nothing would be announced that evening and it might be the next day. The revised schedules that were being prepared for that evening were being done with the serious expection that they might still need to be used. I don't think the heads-up they had that "an" announcement was coming was very long at all.

RE: HM Queen Elizabeth Dies & Funeral Coverage - ALV - 21-10-2022

"Elizabeth Remembered" by Debbie Wiseman & BBC Concert Orchestra - the theme used for BBC Studio's production of HM The Queen's speical programmes, is now officially released on various music marketplaces like Apple Music and Spotify:

https://music.apple.com/album/elizabeth-remembered-single/1648826226?l=en