Pres Café
HM Queen Elizabeth Dies & Funeral Coverage - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: HM Queen Elizabeth Dies & Funeral Coverage (/showthread.php?tid=148)

RE: HM Queen Elizabeth Dies & Funeral Coverage - Worzel - 10-09-2023

(10-09-2023, 10:18 PM)Andrew Wrote:  I might catch up with this doc, was it any good?

Often Channel 5 clip shows can be quite poor quality, a 5 second clip ripped from YouTube and then 2 minutes of Z listers discussing it at a most basic level

Did they have contributions of high profile names actually involved?
Alastair Bruce, Dermot Murnaghan, Vanessa Feltz, Dan Walker and ITN Head of News Tami Hoffman were the main TV media talking heads.

Other notable pieces:

- Showing BBC One fading out to black during Bargain Hunt to join Joanna Gosling on the News channel.

- Various pieces from the ITV News presentation on the day with Nina on the Lunchtime News and Mary later on.

- Huw Edwards made two very brief appearances. One out of vision/audio only appearance when they were trying to work out which royals were coming off the plane and also for the official announcement. I note they didn't show ITV's rather ropey delivery of the news.

- We were told of the code words and the various 'bridges' for the different royals.

- Dermot explained how he was the first journo outside Buckingham Palace and grabbed the best camera spot at Canada Gate for Sky News. They showed his first live hit as well.

- The delay in the official announcement was partly down to the cascading of the news of her death to 15 PMs in the commonwealth.

An interesting watch and worth checking out on My5 if you missed it. 

It was interesting watching the part following the initial announcement as I was then on the radio myself doing rolling news, so missed it (some excerpts below for those interested)...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?si=MJXZjiAOeg_pSUHa&v=86hncuTarUI&feature=youtu.be 

RE: HM Queen Elizabeth Dies & Funeral Coverage - Yorksman - 10-09-2023

Caught a bit of the show earlier and I thought it was a good documentary with some interesting anecdotes from the day of the Queen Elizabeth II's death.

RE: HM Queen Elizabeth Dies & Funeral Coverage - eyeTV - 10-09-2023

What appears to be the policy of using the clip of the BBC announcement (given recent events). On the BBC itself and by others?

RE: HM Queen Elizabeth Dies & Funeral Coverage - willy94__ - 11-09-2023

(10-09-2023, 11:26 PM)eyeTV Wrote:  What appears to be the policy of using the clip of the BBC announcement (given recent events). On the BBC itself and by others?

It is part of the historical record of the event so it would not likely contravene BBC guidelines as it depicts a significant moment in the history not just of the BBC but in a way of world history. It would not break the current suspension as it is not new content from a suspended member of staff.

RE: HM Queen Elizabeth Dies & Funeral Coverage - JACKLUFC1998 - 11-09-2023

(10-09-2023, 11:06 PM)Worzel Wrote:  Alastair Bruce, Dermot Murnaghan, Vanessa Feltz, Dan Walker and ITN Head of News Tami Hoffman were the main TV media talking heads.

Other notable pieces:

- Showing BBC One fading out to black during Bargain Hunt to join Joanna Gosling on the News channel.

- Various pieces from the ITV News presentation on the day with Nina on the Lunchtime News and Mary later on.

- Huw Edwards made two very brief appearances. One out of vision/audio only appearance when they were trying to work out which royals were coming off the plane and also for the official announcement. I note they didn't show ITV's rather ropey delivery of the news.

- We were told of the code words and the various 'bridges' for the different royals.

- Dermot explained how he was the first journo outside Buckingham Palace and grabbed the best camera spot at Canada Gate for Sky News. They showed his first live hit as well.

- The delay in the official announcement was partly down to the cascading of the news of her death to 15 PMs in the commonwealth.

An interesting watch and worth checking out on My5 if you missed it. 

It was interesting watching the part following the initial announcement as I was then on the radio myself doing rolling news, so missed it (some excerpts below for those interested)...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?si=MJXZjiAOeg_pSUHa&v=86hncuTarUI&feature=youtu.be 

I watched it too, brilliant documentary.

RE: HM Queen Elizabeth Dies & Funeral Coverage - Former Member 237 - 11-09-2023

There were a lot of people with camera filming behind the scenes, from death +10 days at the events etc so I assume there will be a proper BBC Documentary at some stage about the behind the scenes aspect. It could be a long time away as it is still sensitive.

RE: HM Queen Elizabeth Dies & Funeral Coverage - Newshound47 - 11-09-2023

(11-09-2023, 05:31 PM)Former Member 237 Wrote:  There were a lot of people with camera filming behind the scenes, from death +10 days at the events etc so I assume there will be a proper BBC Documentary at some stage about the behind the scenes aspect. It could be a long time away as it is still sensitive.

And Huw Edwards suspension might delay it further.

RE: HM Queen Elizabeth Dies & Funeral Coverage - thegeek - 14-09-2023

(10-09-2023, 11:26 PM)eyeTV Wrote:  What appears to be the policy of using the clip of the BBC announcement (given recent events). On the BBC itself and by others?

I'd say others would be able to use it under 'fair dealing' - they're using a short excerpt for criticism or review.

As with most Channel 5 talking head documentaries, I feel it could have been one part shorter, but I thought it was pretty well done, with some interesting insights into the day. I think I'm probably showing my age by not noticing that Dermot Murnaghan was a bit out of place by being interviewed in the atrium at Gray's Inn Road.

(I did notice their cover shots of London Bridge itself were a bit elderly, with far fewer towers in the City and a bendy bus crossing the bridge.)

I can't remember if it was mentioned in this thread at the time (maybe some day I'll revisit all 99 pages), but it was reported in The Sunday Times – and repeated here in the Independent, which isn't behind a paywall – that Huw Edwards had his phone nicked in a restaurant the evening before, and his son had to get hold of him in the barbers to tell him to get to BH.

RE: HM Queen Elizabeth Dies & Funeral Coverage - Jon - 14-09-2023

(14-09-2023, 09:31 PM)thegeek Wrote:  I can't remember if it was mentioned in this thread at the time (maybe some day I'll revisit all 99 pages), but it was reported in The Sunday Times – and repeated here in the Independent, which isn't behind a paywall – that Huw Edwards had his phone nicked in a restaurant the evening before, and his son had to get hold of him in the barbers to tell him to get to BH.
That’s his story and he’s sticking to it.

RE: HM Queen Elizabeth Dies & Funeral Coverage - Stuart - 15-09-2023

Having read the comments on here I downloaded the documentary.

Obviously the media were well prepared, but had altered their procedures and plans as reception of media changed over the years. I didn't realise they referred to it as 'Operation Unicorn' until watching the programme.

A fascinating documentary about how the media operated on the day, which is surprisingly good for a C5/ParamountGlobal programme.