Pres Café
ITV News - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: ITV News (/showthread.php?tid=166)

ITV News - Kojak - 22-09-2022

Very surprising that there was not already an ITV News thread - so here we are.

Most of us will all already know this - but ITV will be launching a news channel (in a fashion - it will be a FAST channel) on ITVX when that starts in November:

Quote:In the meantime, we are hugely encouraged by what will be an industry-first with ITV’s investment in PSB news via its ITVX streaming service. This new platform will see content made by the ITV News team feature prominently – bespoke up-to-date video on demand, as opposed to rolling news, so that viewers won’t need to jump around multiple platforms and will be able to access their trusted news presented by our familiar on-air team, all on one place, whatever time they want it.

(Full speech transcript is linked here if you're interested)

RE: ITV News - Frances - 22-09-2022

Is it a FAST linear channel or a news-based VOD service?

And when does ITV do the Evening weather within the bulletin? Tonight it’s separated and prerecorded after yesterday’s return…

RE: ITV News - London Lite - 22-09-2022

Hannah Emerson-Thomas is the launch editor of ITVX's FAST news service. She relaunched 5 News and her day job is running ITV News London.

RE: ITV News - Kojak - 29-09-2022

With the impending launch of ITVX (and the ITV News FAST channel) and a rebrand for ITV as a whole, I have to wonder whether we'll see a revamp for ITV News in the not-too-distant future? Hard to believe the current look will have been in use for 10 years(!) this January.

If nothing else, I'd like to see a new studio backdrop - never been too keen on the current one, which to me has that uncanny valley feeling about it (in an ideal world, I'd like to see a real studio return, but I suspect that is very unlikely). I'd love the London skyline (and a new version of the 2008 look as a whole) to come back for News at Ten - why they got rid of it I'll never understand - and maybe a composite/generic skyline for the other bulletins?

RE: ITV News - DTV - 30-09-2022

(29-09-2022, 07:00 PM)Kojak Wrote:  With the impending launch of ITVX (and the ITV News FAST channel) and a rebrand for ITV as a whole, I have to wonder whether we'll see a revamp for ITV News in the not-too-distant future? Hard to believe the current look will have been in use for 10 years(!) this January.

If nothing else, I'd like to see a new studio backdrop - never been too keen on the current one, which to me has that uncanny valley feeling about it (in an ideal world, I'd like to see a real studio return, but I suspect that is very unlikely). I'd love the London skyline (and a new version of the 2008 look as a whole) to come back for News at Ten - why they got rid of it I'll never understand - and maybe a composite/generic skyline for the other bulletins?
I wouldn't be surprised if News gets a rebrand, though I do think that the current package has aged very well. ITV News' problem during the 2000s was always going for looks that were too on-trend or too 'this is everything our computers can do', which is always a mistake with non-campaign branding as trends fade and computers get upgraded - rendering your current look out of date within two or three years. It always seemed to me that the 2013 rebrand was far more rooted in trying to be a sensible, discreet news look than its predecessors and I think that has really paid off in the long run.

I too would prefer a physical set over a VR one. Indeed, one of the my few complaints about the current era is that the set would have looked fantastic as a physical or even partially physical set. I feel that the problem with the current backdrop is that the BBC's Studio E just blew competition for newsroom backdrops - particularly fake ones - out of the water. Though, with the BBC confining network bulletins to the basement, maybe it's time for ITV to move back to their atrium?

RE: ITV News - Andrew - 30-09-2022

Unpopular opinion - Becky Mantin is much better at the ITV Evening News Weather and brings out more of a personality than Alex Beresford who is a tad stiff and wooden

RE: ITV News - London Lite - 30-09-2022

(30-09-2022, 07:26 PM)Andrew Wrote:  Unpopular opinion - Becky Mantin is much better at the ITV Evening News Weather and brings out more of a personality than Alex Beresford who is a tad stiff and wooden

Personally I think Alex is better suited to GMB than the Evening News. I agree that Becky is more on brand for the Evening News.

RE: ITV News - Kojak - 30-09-2022

A mildly amusing sign-off to tonight's News at Ten. Tom said "that was News at Ten at the end of another very eventful week... be nice if they weren't all like this. Have a brilliant weekend."

Just as well - tonight's bulletin was bloomin' depressing. Illegal annexation, economic mismagement, war, more war... and hurricanes. Oh, and the And Finally was about a species of bird potentially going extinct. Lovely, uplifting stuff. Still, that's the news, I guess. Maybe Martyn Lewis was on to something after all...

RE: ITV News - Andrew - 01-10-2022

Paul Brand is presenting the ITV Weekend News today. First time I believe.

RE: ITV News - all new phil - 01-10-2022

(01-10-2022, 05:14 PM)Andrew Wrote:  Paul Brand is presenting the ITV Weekend News today. First time I believe.

Seen him once before on a weekend morning bulletin.