Pres Café
ITV News - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: ITV News (/showthread.php?tid=166)

RE: ITV News - Ben Shatliff - 26-01-2023

I have noticed some different camera angles on Granada Reports over the last week or so. It could just be nothing but I wondered if they are experimenting for something different. There have been side shots of the presenters doing a story rather than a direct camera shot.

RE: ITV News - mrarg1393 - 27-01-2023

(26-01-2023, 08:34 AM)Ben Shatliff Wrote:  I have noticed some different camera angles on Granada Reports over the last week or so. It could just be nothing but I wondered if they are experimenting for something different. There have been side shots of the presenters doing a story rather than a direct camera shot.

Tyne Tees do it now and again too - probably just to make it look more uniform with the main ITV News programme as they do that a lot. Think it’s down to type of story though and whether they need to use the TV screens for any graphics etc.

RE: ITV News - JMT1985 - 27-01-2023

So the current look for ITV News was introduced on Monday 14th January 2013 - that is now a full decade old.

Is that a record set by a UK broadcaster on having the same opening titles and general backdrop/presentation design of their news programming?

Yes they tweaked News at Ten, but other than that, the look of the virtual set has remained the same for a whole decade.

RE: ITV News - all new phil - 28-01-2023

Noticed Calendar have started adding a frame and graphics to their Instagram posts that look like they include the updated font used across ITV. Design is still broadly the same as what’s on screen but maybe suggests a tweak is on the way.

RE: ITV News - Kojak - 28-01-2023

(27-01-2023, 10:52 PM)JMT1985 Wrote:  So the current look for ITV News was introduced on Monday 14th January 2013 - that is now a full decade old.

Is that a record set by a UK broadcaster on having the same opening titles and general backdrop/presentation design of their news programming?

Yes they tweaked News at Ten, but other than that, the look of the virtual set has remained the same for a whole decade.

No - ITN's very own News at 5:45 had the same look for 12 years (1976-88!), with that plinky plonky music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFV2-juQXpM 

RE: ITV News - Spencer - 28-01-2023

(28-01-2023, 11:12 AM)all new phil Wrote:  Noticed Calendar have started adding a frame and graphics to their Instagram posts that look like they include the updated font used across ITV. Design is still broadly the same as what’s on screen but maybe suggests a tweak is on the way.

[Image: E358107B-F271-4CAC-BBC8-70703D7F300F.jpeg]

Not sure what they’re trying to achieve with the teal frame. It just seems like unnecessary clutter.

I notice the logo is still the current one using Reem.

RE: ITV News - chaose - 28-01-2023

(28-01-2023, 12:03 PM)Spencer Wrote:  
(28-01-2023, 11:12 AM)all new phil Wrote:  Noticed Calendar have started adding a frame and graphics to their Instagram posts that look like they include the updated font used across ITV. Design is still broadly the same as what’s on screen but maybe suggests a tweak is on the way.

[Image: E358107B-F271-4CAC-BBC8-70703D7F300F.jpeg]

This is a head-scratcher. The font used here is neither Reem nor the new ITV font. It's something else entirely, some sort of Futura knock-off.

For reference, this is what the actual ITV font would look like:
[Image: itvfont.jpg]

Surely, this must be an error.

RE: ITV News - what - 28-01-2023

Looks vaguely like Poppins to my eye.

RE: ITV News - western - 30-01-2023

I think ITV News is getting away with it as their graphics style is fairly timeless and professional. The flat blocks, simple animations and gentle colours were the right choice to go. Even with the stale set, the package still looks absolutely fine for a current news broadcast, although it is surprising to still see Reem everywhere.

The Tonight programme, in my opinion, has aged far worse -- I don't think it's had a rebrand either since 2013? But the graphics look outdated now (see below), with the horizontal stripes and the pseudo-3D gloss a little too reminiscent of the design style known as 'Frutiger Aero', which is long since out of date and should really have been replaced some point last decade.

[Image: HPNgGw9.png]

RE: ITV News - DTV - 31-01-2023

Agreed, though flat design always ages better because once you've stripped things back to the fundamentals it's less likely that anything is 'of the moment'. Trends in gradients, 3D effects, fancy animations, etc. always come in and out in a matter of years and so you inevitably get left having to update every few years if you down that route. It's similar to the trap of choosing computer graphics that are 'cutting edge' - they'll no longer be so in two years time and yours will look outdated rather quickly. This was particularly the case in the 2000s among all the news broadcasters - Sky's 2008 graphics come to mind in particular.