Pres Café
ITV News - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: ITV News (/showthread.php?tid=166)

RE: ITV News - Newsroom - 16-05-2023

(16-05-2023, 09:38 AM)chris Wrote:  
(16-05-2023, 09:09 AM)Newsroom Wrote:  I thought the entrance to GIR had been completely redeveloped so that you couldn't see across into the atrium? Isn't it a social space, cafe, etc?

I’ll check next time I’m there but I think you’re able to see it through the glass doors into the main building from reception.

I can only reference this article as I've not been down GIR for years. 

https://www.dezeen.com/2019/09/25/200-grays-inn-road-office-interiors-conran-partners/ 

RE: ITV News - JMT1985 - 16-05-2023

It would be nice if ITV News returned to a real newsroom studio - they have not been in the newsroom for real since 1999/2000.

RE: ITV News - DTV - 16-05-2023

(16-05-2023, 10:17 AM)JMT1985 Wrote:  It would be nice if ITV News returned to a real newsroom studio - they have not been in the newsroom for real since 1999/2000.
It's a real shame that we didn't get a physical set with a newsroom view for the current era - fully achievable and, ultimately, a bit of a missed opportunity. We got a hint of what it could have been with the regional sets, but they largely ruined that by adding large amounts of black glass for no apparent reason.

RE: ITV News - JMT1985 - 16-05-2023

ITV News probably didn't want to copy the BBC as in 2013, BBC News moved out of Television Centre and into their new studio at BBC Broadcasting House, Studio E which was located in the newsroom of course - I guess ITV had knowledge of this in advance, and didn't want to copy the BBC in style of having a real newsroom set

So they created the current look, which of course for them being in their virtual green screen studio, ensured a lot less money was needed on creating their new look, but their backdrop of the empty control room just looks odd.

I remember in the 2008 to 2013 BBC News era when they were using N6 and TC7, they had the fake newsroom backdrop, but if memory serves me correct, they added in blurry images of what looked like people working in the fake newsroom. I wonder if my memory is playing tricks with me, but that is what I think happened.

The real newsroom gives energy to the bulletins, and even if they simply had a live camera shot of the newly revamped newsroom into their green screen studio, it would be nice.

RE: ITV News - XIII - 16-05-2023

I don't think the average viewers care if the set is real or not and it's worked fine for 20 years.

My guess is that when the technology becomes cheaper, we'll probably see green screen replaced with the LED screens they use for The Mandalorian.

(16-05-2023, 11:45 AM)JMT1985 Wrote:  ITV News probably didn't want to copy the BBC as in 2013, BBC News moved out of Television Centre and into their new studio at BBC Broadcasting House, Studio E which was located in the newsroom of course - I guess ITV had knowledge of this in advance, and didn't want to copy the BBC in style of having a real newsroom set
I mean, the real reason it didn't happen is because I don't think it was considered. ITV had used VR sets for a decade or so, it made sense to continue with it - especially considering I doubt they expected the look to be as longevous as it has been.

Also, had ITV relaunched from a newsroom studio in 2013, it would have pre-empted the BBC's launch of Studio E by two months - so I'm not sure they'd have been seen as copying, although they would have indeed known about the BBC's plans (newsroom studios had been part of the NBH project since the beginning in 2001, though initially it was two mezzanine-level studios for the news channels).

(16-05-2023, 12:48 PM)XIII Wrote:  I don't think the average viewers care if the set is real or not and it's worked fine for 20 years.
You are, of course, right that the average viewer wouldn't care, but, given that applies to about 95% of the stuff discussed on this forum, such a comment is ultimately unnecessary. I was merely stating a view that the 2013 set would have been easily replicable as a real set and would probably have looked better in the process.

RE: ITV News - Stockland Hillman - 16-05-2023

(16-05-2023, 01:24 PM)DTV Wrote:  
(16-05-2023, 11:45 AM)JMT1985 Wrote:  ITV News probably didn't want to copy the BBC as in 2013, BBC News moved out of Television Centre and into their new studio at BBC Broadcasting House, Studio E which was located in the newsroom of course - I guess ITV had knowledge of this in advance, and didn't want to copy the BBC in style of having a real newsroom set
I mean, the real reason it didn't happen is because I don't think it was considered. ITV had used VR sets for a decade or so, it made sense to continue with it - especially considering I doubt they expected the look to be as longevous as it has been.

Also, had ITV relaunched from a newsroom studio in 2013, it would have pre-empted the BBC's launch of Studio E by two months - so I'm not sure they'd have been seen as copying, although they would have indeed known about the BBC's plans (newsroom studios had been part of the NBH project since the beginning in 2001, though initially it was two mezzanine-level studios for the news channels).

(16-05-2023, 12:48 PM)XIII Wrote:  I don't think the average viewers care if the set is real or not and it's worked fine for 20 years.
You are, of course, right that the average viewer wouldn't care, but, given that applies to about 95% of the stuff discussed on this forum, such a comment is ultimately unnecessary. I was merely stating a view that the 2013 set would have been easily replicable as a real set and would probably have looked better in the process.
 Would it have looked better? 

Real newsrooms and production control  have to be practical for working (and health and safety) so layout,  lighting,  colours need to work for the staff in that environment more than onair.

Basically they look rubbish on air.

Add in modern staffing levals, workwear policies, online stalking and privacy and you can see its not desirable to expose your private offices to public viewing these days

As to the current design?  You see it in regional sets, and it looks like like a suburban dentists. A High Street estate agents typically has more design appeal 

So yes  the virtual set is fine, but would be better upgraded to modern  reality engine rendering engine.

RE: ITV News - mcrdev - 16-05-2023

My guess is that when the technology becomes cheaper, we'll probably see green screen replaced with the LED screens they use for The Mandalorian.

The technology is exactly the same as used in green screen virtual sets.

LED screen environments have the problem that every camera has the same background - fine for single camera drama, less so for multicamera live.  Sure, you can switch the background when you cut camera (with the associated jump in perspective for people in the space), but you can't mix between two shots and you can't reliably frame or preview shots.

The big advantage of LED spaces is that the lighting feels right, as the space is then partly lit by the environment, enhancing the realism - something which isn't high up on the list of requirements for a news studio.

(16-05-2023, 02:10 PM)Stockland Hillman Wrote:  Would it have looked better? 

Real newsrooms and production control  have to be practical for working (and health and safety) so layout,  lighting,  colours need to work for the staff in that environment more than onair.

What? There are, of course, always adjustments that have to be made to newsrooms that go on air, but they are adjustments that have been successfully made multiple times by all the major broadcasters in this country - including ITN. Sure, some have ended up better in execution than others - particularly lighting wise - but it clearly is not some impossible task and to generalise and say they all look rubbish on air is ridiculous. If they had wanted to do it in 2013, which clearly they did not, it would have been eminently achievable.

And I do disagree that it couldn't have looked better. Although I broadly do quite like the 2013 design, the set does suffer from the usual problems of VR attempting to look realistic - the lighting is too flat and makes attempts at highlights (e.g., the orange spotlights on the columns) look unnatural; there are 'metal' and 'gloss' elements that don't act as they should, giving a bit of a plasticky feel; etc. While I'd agree, as I already stated, that the regional sets aren't great, especially the inclusion of large chunks of black glass, I do think that the way that certain aspects of the lighting interacts with the physical sets works far better than it does in the national set's VR world.

RE: ITV News - Ben Shatliff - 16-05-2023

(16-05-2023, 03:37 PM)DTV Wrote:  
(16-05-2023, 02:10 PM)Stockland Hillman Wrote:  Would it have looked better? 

What? There are, of course, always adjustments that have to be made to newsrooms that go on air, but they are adjustments that have been successfully made multiple times by all the major broadcasters in this country - including ITN. Sure, some have ended up better in execution than others - particularly lighting wise - but it clearly is not some impossible task and to generalise and say they all look rubbish on air is ridiculous. If they had wanted to do it in 2013, which clearly they did not, it would have been eminently achievable.

And I do disagree that it couldn't have looked better. Although I broadly do quite like the 2013 design, the set does suffer from the usual problems of VR attempting to look realistic - the lighting is too flat and makes attempts at highlights (e.g., the orange spotlights on the columns) look unnatural; there are 'metal' and 'gloss' elements that don't act as they should, giving a bit of a plasticky feel; etc. While I'd agree, as I already stated, that the regional sets aren't great, especially the inclusion of large chunks of black glass, I do think that the way that certain aspects of the lighting interacts with the physical sets works far better than it does in the national set's VR world.
The big question then.  Will this new studio be just for ITVX or will we see an overhaul both National and Regional for ITV News?