Pres Café
ITV News - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: ITV News (/showthread.php?tid=166)

RE: ITV News - JMT1985 - 16-05-2023

Well considering news refreshes usually happen on a regular basis, I assume ITV will not keep their current look for another decade.

Ten years is a long time to use one set of news presentation - to me it is starting to look old and dull

In my opinion, ITV News do not have to do much to simply freshen up their current look - they can remain in their wonderful world of green screen, but just give the presentation a little refresh.

The deserted control room always makes me laugh, makes it look like there is no one in charge at all at ITV, with the deserted desks and chairs, not a single person manning the control room of monitors.

It wouldn't take too much to give it a freshen up and then they can keep that for maybe another five years without bursting their budget.

RE: ITV News - Stuart - 16-05-2023

(16-05-2023, 05:01 PM)JMT1985 Wrote:  The deserted control room always makes me laugh, makes it look like there is no one in charge at all at ITV, with the deserted desks and chairs, not a single person manning the control room of monitors.
I think you are too easily amused. Big Grin

RE: ITV News - Newsroom - 16-05-2023

(16-05-2023, 04:44 PM)Ben Shatliff Wrote:  
(16-05-2023, 03:37 PM)DTV Wrote:  What? There are, of course, always adjustments that have to be made to newsrooms that go on air, but they are adjustments that have been successfully made multiple times by all the major broadcasters in this country - including ITN. Sure, some have ended up better in execution than others - particularly lighting wise - but it clearly is not some impossible task and to generalise and say they all look rubbish on air is ridiculous. If they had wanted to do it in 2013, which clearly they did not, it would have been eminently achievable.

And I do disagree that it couldn't have looked better. Although I broadly do quite like the 2013 design, the set does suffer from the usual problems of VR attempting to look realistic - the lighting is too flat and makes attempts at highlights (e.g., the orange spotlights on the columns) look unnatural; there are 'metal' and 'gloss' elements that don't act as they should, giving a bit of a plasticky feel; etc. While I'd agree, as I already stated, that the regional sets aren't great, especially the inclusion of large chunks of black glass, I do think that the way that certain aspects of the lighting interacts with the physical sets works far better than it does in the national set's VR world.
The big question then.  Will this new studio be just for ITVX or will we see an overhaul both National and Regional for ITV News?

I posted this on a previous forum. I was told back then as I have been told time and time again that the studio planned for the Newsroom would have full capabilities to run open ended coverage. Its primary use will be for ITVX and ITV News bulletins (ie - live from our newsroom inserts) The completion of the installation of this studio would not happen until the newsroom itself was complete and its workforce were back in place.

RE: ITV News - newsjunkie - 17-05-2023

Work is just getting underway on the new studio space. It was always due to start after everyone had been moved in, but was further delayed by the Coronation.

Quite a bit of work to do, so will likely take several months. Don't expect to see it on screen for quite a while. But it should be worth the wait.

Pretty impressed that no one has notice any changes with the amount of technical work going on behind the scenes. Almost all done now; once it is, pretty much every system will have been changed over.

RE: ITV News - JMT1985 - 17-05-2023

I think we will not notice anything different on screen until ITV News change their on screen look (if it will happen that is)

I like a newsroom studio, to me it feels to have a lot of energy to it

RE: ITV News - Kojak - 24-05-2023

Just been watching some old(-ish) intros of ITV News - and my word, how much quicker they were! Bongs done in 30 seconds and presenters reading the first story within a minute of TX. This isn't even that long ago - same look as now. These days we're lucky if they've finished the first headline in 30 seconds.

I mean, look at this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yON_e7S4dc 

...and compare it to this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muXvupzoDTc 

...and it's really no contest as far as I'm concerned. Why must there be six million headlines and a SOT on every other one? Every broadcaster does this now and it really annoys me. Why can't headlines be, you know... headlines?

RE: ITV News - bilky asko - 24-05-2023

One major difference, of course, is that the Evening News is now double the length that it was in 2013, so a rough doubling of the length of the headline sequence makes sense.

RE: ITV News - JMT1985 - 24-05-2023

BBC News does this too - I mentioned this before, it takes a long time before the actual programme starts with "Good Evening" from the anchor.

US networks have a habit of piling in a lot of headlines at the start, but the US networks nearly always have very short intro titles, usually no more than 10 seconds long, and a run time of around 22 to 23 minutes to get their evening news done and dusted, so it does come across as a much faster pace.

RE: ITV News - The_IT_Technician - 24-05-2023

Try watching TV news channels from the subcontinent, a brief title intro and headlines sequence, with bollywood style dramatic music at times, that continue until xx past the hour before a break, and then maybe some news. 😉🤔

RE: ITV News - Kojak - 24-05-2023

(24-05-2023, 04:20 PM)bilky asko Wrote:  One major difference, of course, is that the Evening News is now double the length that it was in 2013, so a rough doubling of the length of the headline sequence makes sense.
Good point, but then the other bulletins have stayed the same length, and they also have rambling headlines now. Especially News at Ten, which gets ridiculous at times with Tom's pontificating.