Pres Café
ITV News - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: ITV News (/showthread.php?tid=166)

RE: ITV News - DTV - 24-05-2023

(24-05-2023, 04:43 PM)JMT1985 Wrote:  US networks have a habit of piling in a lot of headlines at the start, but the US networks nearly always have very short intro titles, usually no more than 10 seconds long, and a run time of around 22 to 23 minutes to get their evening news done and dusted, so it does come across as a much faster pace.
American sequences are certainly pacier, but not really in a good way. Whenever I've caught any of the US network bulletins, it always comes across like a young child storytelling 'and then x, and then y' - with the presenter seeming almost breathless. It's too much information coming too quickly, and really not helped by the overdramatic beds that are faded up too high.

I think the general forum consensus of the balance being right around the turn-of-the-century is correct - particularly with the BBC's pre-timed five-second beds. That meant that, not just were the timings always dead on and you were into the news in 40 seconds or so, but having to hit the thunderclaps meant that the newsreaders had to really think and be disciplined about how they summarised each story - giving the headlines a real punch. I know insiders say the longer sequences are supposed to be in effect a news summary - which wouldn't be the worst thing - but then they should be structured more as per the old news summaries.

RE: ITV News - Kojak - 24-05-2023

(24-05-2023, 07:17 PM)DTV Wrote:  
(24-05-2023, 04:43 PM)JMT1985 Wrote:  US networks have a habit of piling in a lot of headlines at the start, but the US networks nearly always have very short intro titles, usually no more than 10 seconds long, and a run time of around 22 to 23 minutes to get their evening news done and dusted, so it does come across as a much faster pace.
American sequences are certainly pacier, but not really in a good way. Whenever I've caught any of the US network bulletins, it always comes across like a young child storytelling 'and then x, and then y' - with the presenter seeming almost breathless. It's too much information coming too quickly, and really not helped by the overdramatic beds that are faded up too high.

I think the general forum consensus of the balance being right around the turn-of-the-century is correct - particularly with the BBC's pre-timed five-second beds. That meant that, not just were the timings always dead on and you were into the news in 40 seconds or so, but having to hit the thunderclaps meant that the newsreaders had to really think and be disciplined about how they summarised each story - giving the headlines a real punch. I know insiders say the longer sequences are supposed to be in effect a news summary - which wouldn't be the worst thing - but then they should be structured more as per the old news summaries.
Last night's CBS Evening News is a perfect example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-F7-E6JBvLk 

It combines all the worst aspects of our sequences (rambling on, SO many SOTS) with all the worst aspects of American news (really, REALLY in your face, just a relentless flow of words and pictures. I mean, what's with the constant cuts and zooms? Ridiculous). And the presenter (Norah O'Donnell) is so flowery. If ever there were a personification of 'gilding the lily', she would be it.

RE: ITV News - steve - 24-05-2023

(24-05-2023, 07:17 PM)DTV Wrote:  but having to hit the thunderclaps meant that the newsreaders had to really think and be disciplined about how they summarised each story - giving the headlines a real punch.
This point is spot on for me.

I am not averse to longer headlines - but the thought that had to be put into fitting a story into 5 seconds made the writing so much more focused and so much better.

Writing for and delivering short, snappy radio news bulletins, which I did for years, made me the writer I am today. Every word has to count, nothing superfluous, etc.

The Sissons 9/11 headline sequence and opening is a masterclass in this. Still gives me goosebumps today. Today it would be a 2.5 minute headline sequence, but then it was 90 seconds of headline, titles, introduction - and all the more powerful for it.

RE: ITV News - Andrew - 24-05-2023

As others have said the BBC are much worse than ITV at this sort of thing, so I’m not sure why it’s being discussed here

The top story can often take up 4 spots on the BBC - headline, SOT, corespondent live, & explanation of how they will cover the story from the newsreader

RE: ITV News - Kojak - 24-05-2023

(24-05-2023, 07:50 PM)Andrew Wrote:  As others have said the BBC are much worse than ITV at this sort of thing, so I’m not sure why it’s being discussed here

The top story can often take up 4 spots on the BBC - headline, SOT, corespondent live, & explanation of how they will cover the story from the newsreader
Andrew, with respect, you're too close to ITV to have an unbiased opinion on this. My original point was in reference to ITV's headline sequences, which is why it's being discussed here. Yes, the BBC are probably worse than ITV for this, but many broadcasters, such as Sky, foreign channels and yes, ITV, have these long headline sequences, and it drives me up the wall.

RE: ITV News - steve - 24-05-2023

(24-05-2023, 07:50 PM)Andrew Wrote:  As others have said the BBC are much worse than ITV at this sort of thing, so I’m not sure why it’s being discussed here

Sorry I completely missed this was the ITV thread, apologies!

RE: ITV News - Brekkie - 24-05-2023

(24-05-2023, 07:09 PM)Kojak Wrote:  
(24-05-2023, 04:20 PM)bilky asko Wrote:  One major difference, of course, is that the Evening News is now double the length that it was in 2013, so a rough doubling of the length of the headline sequence makes sense.
Good point, but then the other bulletins have stayed the same length, and they also have rambling headlines now. Especially News at Ten, which gets ridiculous at times with Tom's pontificating.
Usually find News at Ten pretty pacy - they often start later than the BBC but get to the top story first.

RE: ITV News - JMT1985 - 24-05-2023

ITV News realise most viewers who want their news to start on the dot of 10pm will go to the BBC - ITV News has not got a great history of starting their late bulletin on time, anyone remember the "News at When" era of 2001 to 2004?

ITV slip in some extra ads, make a bit of money while people can get the top headlines at the BBC, and then if they didn't like what the BBC News at Ten were offering, switch over to ITV and see what they are offering on their News at Ten.

RE: ITV News - Roger Darthwell - 24-05-2023

(24-05-2023, 08:24 PM)JMT1985 Wrote:  ITV News realise most viewers who want their news to start on the dot of 10pm will go to the BBC - ITV News has not got a great history of starting their late bulletin on time, anyone remember the "News at When" era of 2001 to 2004?

ITV slip in some extra ads, make a bit of money while people can get the top headlines at the BBC, and then if they didn't like what the BBC News at Ten were offering, switch over to ITV and see what they are offering on their News at Ten.
I think that we are now in the second "News at When" era

RE: ITV News - Studio7 - 24-05-2023

(24-05-2023, 08:49 PM)Roger Darthwell Wrote:  
(24-05-2023, 08:24 PM)JMT1985 Wrote:  ITV News realise most viewers who want their news to start on the dot of 10pm will go to the BBC - ITV News has not got a great history of starting their late bulletin on time, anyone remember the "News at When" era of 2001 to 2004?

I think that we are now in the second "News at When" era
Are we? Scheduling all seems pretty consistent to me. It's nothing like the News at When days. This week even the Saturday news is at 10.