Pres Café
ITV News - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: ITV News (/showthread.php?tid=166)

RE: ITV News - eyeTV - 30-05-2023

A wonderful tribute

https://twitter.com/itvnews/status/1663538234125848576?t=pyUDulmYq6WBenvhjUst9w&s=19 

RE: ITV News - Studio7 - 01-06-2023

A side-by-side picture of the current studio (one fully dressed, one naked) went viral on Twitter - cue hundreds of people going 'wow, it's fake? Mind blown!'.

https://twitter.com/meenastoyboy/status/1661681827277316097 

One person made an interesting point: does the fact that the studio is virtual lead viewers to subconsciously not trust the news as much? Maybe a bit far-fetched, but RTL in Germany moved to a real studio last year for precisely that reason. Would love to see ITV do the same in time.

RE: ITV News - XIII - 01-06-2023

People are being daft if they think a virtual studio causes people to think news is untrustworthy.

RE: ITV News - Larry the Loafer - 01-06-2023

I can see why they might think it feels a bit "detached" compared to the working, bustling newsroom you see in the background of BBC News, even if it is a very convincing use of chroma key. When you look at the black and yellow set that came before it, that looked positively dystopian.

I do hope they manage to move away from virtual sets come the next rebrand, though. Especially when you consider that BBC News has come under fire more and more over the last couple of years for its supposed bias/reliability, it'd be nice to see ITV take a route that makes them look more like a fully functioning news operation rather than a virtual backlot showreel.

RE: ITV News - Fluffy Bunny Feet - 01-06-2023

(01-06-2023, 11:31 AM)Studio7 Wrote:  A side-by-side picture of the current studio (one fully dressed, one naked) went viral on Twitter - cue hundreds of people going 'wow, it's fake? Mind blown!'.

https://twitter.com/meenastoyboy/status/1661681827277316097 

One person made an interesting point: does the fact that the studio is virtual lead viewers to subconsciously not trust the news as much? Maybe a bit far-fetched, but RTL in Germany moved to a real studio last year for precisely that reason. Would love to see ITV do the same in time.
Next people will be freaking out over music soundtracks in movies, and shows like 'Match of the Day' screening 7 or 8 matches in one programme.
Some people really have too much time on their hands if this bothers them.

RE: ITV News - Brekkie - 01-06-2023

And of course that image must be 7 or 8 years old - unless Mark Austin still turns up every night and is green screened out of the picture!

RE: ITV News - PJamo - 01-06-2023

Wait until they learn about ITV Sport's new home.........

RE: ITV News - Studio7 - 01-06-2023

(01-06-2023, 12:28 PM)XIII Wrote:  People are being daft if they think a virtual studio causes people to think news is untrustworthy.
I don't think anyone is suggesting that there is a direct, concrete link between virtual studios and lowered trust in TV news - that is daft. What isn't is that, while it's certainly not a conscious thing, if you can see the backdrop is false (which not everyone can, granted) it might subconsciously lead some to think 'well, if the backdrop is fake, what else is?'.

(01-06-2023, 12:43 PM)Larry the Loafer Wrote:  I can see why they might think it feels a bit "detached" compared to the working, bustling newsroom you see in the background of BBC News, even if it is a very convincing use of chroma key. When you look at the black and yellow set that came before it, that looked positively dystopian.

I do hope they manage to move away from virtual sets come the next rebrand, though. Especially when you consider that BBC News has come under fire more and more over the last couple of years for its supposed bias/reliability, it'd be nice to see ITV take a route that makes them look more like a fully functioning news operation rather than a virtual backlot showreel.
Oh, that black and yellow set was horrible. To think we went from the gorgeous London backdrop to that... yuck. 

I do know they are building a set in the newsroom (as was first confirmed by... @Newsroom!), but it's going to be used mainly for the ITVX updates and down-the-line interviews with reporters.

RE: ITV News - JMT1985 - 01-06-2023

ITV News have been using their green screen virtual studio since 2004 - Nearly 20 years of producing their national news for ITV in a virtual studio. Quite a feat.

I remember when their first virtual set was introduced in 2004, the "Theatre of News" it was nicknamed, and viewers were fooled back then because, they couldn't understand how if this was a virtual studio, how did the reflection of the news wall also appear on the glass top news desk. People found it hard to understand how that worked in 2004, and made some people think the news wall was like Sky News wall, all real.

I also remember when ITV News had to share their studio with the ITV News Channel, and in the 2004-2005 era of the news channel, three times a day, the news channel had to be out of Studio 2, as ITV national news bulletins had to get time to rehearse, meaning the news channel had to move into Studio 1, which was wall to wall green screen, and they simply plonked a desk in the middle. It looked fairly reasonable, but there were clues that this wasn't the regular set - the reflection of the backdrop was not shown on the glass top news desk.

Globaltraffic24 - Globaltraffic24 - 01-06-2023

(01-06-2023, 01:25 PM)Fluffy Bunny Feet Wrote:  Next people will be freaking out over music soundtracks in movies, and shows like 'Match of the Day' screening 7 or 8 matches in one programme.
Some people really have too much time on their hands if this m
RTL switched to a real set after fairly extensive viewer research. They literally did have many, many viewers saying they felt a virtual set didn’t convey a sense of realism and felt far fetched and untrustworthy. My view is that if you make the news set look too flashy and computerised, people tend to view it more in the context of entertainment and less as a source of information. SVT in Sweden carried out similar research and opted for a brighter set with clearer information points like video walls and explainer positions. 

My personal view is also that virtual sets suck! The faux shock on social about ITV is just that - fake surprise! The set is blatantly fake.