Pres Café
ITV News - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: ITV News (/showthread.php?tid=166)

RE: ITV News - Jon - 01-06-2023

You are in the industry though, it doesn’t need to fool people in the industry it doesn’t really need fool the general viewers.

RE: ITV News - ViridianFan - 01-06-2023

I wonder if it’s due to there being a lot about fake news and how to spot if something isn’t genuine in recent years that on a subconscious level seeing that the studio is a fake triggers that thought process.

If you think back to the ITV theatre of news and further back to the BBC glass coat of arms set, the only people who could afford to have these sets would be the big broadcasters. Now anyone can use a green screen whereas someone at home in their bedroom wouldn’t be able to build easily the physical sets the big broadcasters can.

RE: ITV News - Brekkie - 01-06-2023

Germany sets are usually obviously virtual - viewers ultimately don't care and certainly don't equate a virtual set with trustworthiness. ITV News is often one of the most trusted sources for news when those surveys are done.

RE: ITV News - Andrew - 01-06-2023

It’s only pretend twitter shock that probably lasted the length of typing out a tweet.

RE: ITV News - Jon - 01-06-2023

(01-06-2023, 05:58 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Germany sets are usually obviously virtual - viewers ultimately don't care and certainly don't equate a virtual set with trustworthiness.  ITV News is often one of the most trusted sources for news when those series are done.
GB News would be top the trustworthiness polling if it was based on how real the sets are.

Indeed the latest report was out yesterday. ITV second, behind FT, on net trust worthiness. C4 and BBC in 3rd and 4th.

https://pressgazette.co.uk/media-audience-and-business-data/uk-newsbrand-trust-rankings-sun-least-trusted-bbc-ft-most/ 

Globaltraffic24 - Globaltraffic24 - 01-06-2023

(01-06-2023, 05:58 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Germany sets are usually obviously virtual - viewers ultimately don't care and certainly don't equate a virtual set with trustworthiness.  ITV News is often one of the most trusted sources for news when those series are done.

You’ve hit the nail on the head. I think it was less about having a virtual newsroom etc and more how far fetched and naff the news sets looked. Some of the regional ARD sets over the years have been atrociously bad and - above all else - tacky! 

The key with any news set is to keep it simple and useful. Avoid it becoming the story. ITV have achieved this. 

At the time of the change, RTL pretty much stated that it felt unusual championing real news and hitting out at fakery while apparently presenting the news from something resembling a space ship over Berlin.

RE: ITV News - London Lite - 01-06-2023

While I'm a fan of real sets, ITV News really did master the art of using a virtual set which is why they're still using the same backdrop years later and it hasn't dated.

RE: ITV News - Spencer - 01-06-2023

London Lite Wrote:While I'm a fan of real sets, ITV News really did master the art of using a virtual set which is why they're still using the same backdrop years later and it hasn't dated.
I think the whole look, also including graphics, lower thirds and titles, has lasted fantastically well, not just because it was a good look in the first place, but because, unlike BBC News, they’ve stuck to it rigidly and have resisted any temptation to tinker and change bits of it.

So the whole thing still looks entirely coherent, and works well as opposed to the BBC’s Frankenstein mish-mash of styles.

Exactly - only tweak was going from full width astons to them only being the length of the text.

Indeed arguably the real regional sets have held up much better than their predecessors too - although Granada is fortunate enough to have a real backdrop (well, two) so has always looked better than the regional versions. Those though have held up better than I thought they would.