Pres Café
ITV News - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: ITV News (/showthread.php?tid=166)

RE: ITV News - London Lite - 01-06-2023

(01-06-2023, 10:37 PM)South Wrote:  Not living in the London area anymore I don't see ITV News London very often, but when I have seen it I did find the background image slightly distorted, like the image had been made too big. I am guessing the reason for this is when the camera footage was originally captured it was for a far smaller rear projection screen from their old studio. However now in the days of HD it does not look great, but i suppose ITV don't have a camera mounted on the building anymore which could capture the image.

No, they replaced it with recorded footage from before they left the South Bank.

RE: ITV News - Lester - 01-06-2023

(01-06-2023, 08:56 PM)simon Wrote:  Unreal 5 opens up the possibility of photorealistic sets, whenever broadcasters get round to upgrading their kit.

It will be very interesting to see whether broadcasters begin to experiment with extended reality. This could be as simple as having an LED wall behind the presenter (eg BBC NBH Studio B), but with the perspective shifting as the camera moves to create a more realistic backdrop. This could have been very interesting with some of the stuff the BBC was doing in B for the recent local election coverage, where they had fake corridors and workstations on the upper level.

At the more extreme level you can have an entire set where the walls and floor are LED displays, allowing you to have an entirely virtual set (with what's on the wall shifting perspective as the cameras move). It's similar to a green-screen studio except the talent can see the set around them, and people blend in to the set much more convincingly. You also don't have to worry about problems with keying, and those on set don't have to worry about not wearing the same colour as the backdrop. You also get genuine reflections on elements like glass and the floor without having to fudge it like broadcasters currently do in virtual sets with chromakeying.

(skip to 2m15 if you just want to see the effect)
That looks truly amazing ... 👏

RE: ITV News - DTV - 01-06-2023

(01-06-2023, 08:56 PM)simon Wrote:  At the more extreme level you can have an entire set where the walls and floor are LED displays, allowing you to have an entirely virtual set (with what's on the wall shifting perspective as the cameras move). It's similar to a green-screen studio except the talent can see the set around them, and people blend in to the set much more convincingly. You also don't have to worry about problems with keying, and those on set don't have to worry about not wearing the same colour as the backdrop. You also get genuine reflections on elements like glass and the floor without having to fudge it like broadcasters currently do in virtual sets with chromakeying.
People on here keep evangelising this kind of 360 LED wall stuff and, while I think it would work as a part of a physical set - i.e., as a backdrop videowall that moves with the camera, I just do not see any real point to the every wall (and floor) stuff. Once all things are considered, it just isn't really that much (if at all) better than VR. Sure it does to some extent 'physicalise' the virtual set for those in it and does get rid of keying issues, but the virtual elements aren't actually inherently any better quality (if using the same renderer) and it is more expensive to install and less energy efficient to run. Plus, while those in studio can now see the 'set', it will always be from an odd perspective and watching it switch perspective with the camera must be distracting - and that's without getting into the calibration issues associated with camera switching.

The 'genuine reflections' point is also particularly interesting. You're right that you can have more reflective elements as part of the physical set, but the way that those physical reflective elements interact with the virtual set will often be less realistic. If you have a black glass desk top, as per ITV, and you want it to reflect a skyline as it would reflect a genuine one out a window, you can't achieve that effect using an LED wall as the physical desk can only reflect what is shown on the screen. In a VR environment, you combine the reflective technique that Stuart mentions above with a virtual skyline cyc and get a fairly real reflection.

I've attempted to demonstrate this difference by recycling my WIP VR Breakfast mock from TVLF...
[Image: VRvsLEDTest.jpg]
The 'LED display' is on the left, the VR cyc on the right and shows the sky as a genuine reflection would, were the environment real.

RE: ITV News - XIII - 01-06-2023

I think if ITV were able to adapt what FOX Sports has done with their setup for a news studio, the result would be mind blowing.

RE: ITV News - Brekkie - 02-06-2023

My only criticism of the virtual set is they've never really exploited it's potential for election coverage - especially in this set where it's felt quite restricted with at least one election having very poor shots of their battleground board due to the awkward angles it was shot at.

I think 2010, during the car park of news era, was the only time they did something a bit more creative with it.

RE: ITV News - Stuart - 02-06-2023

(01-06-2023, 11:09 PM)DTV Wrote:  The 'genuine reflections' point is also particularly interesting. You're right that you can have more reflective elements as part of the physical set, but the way that those physical reflective elements interact with the virtual set will often be less realistic. If you have a black glass desk top, as per ITV, and you want it to reflect a skyline as it would reflect a genuine one out a window, you can't achieve that effect using an LED wall as the physical desk can only reflect what is shown on the screen. In a VR environment, you combine the reflective technique that Stuart mentions above with a virtual skyline cyc and get a fairly real reflection.
After burrowing down some Google rabbit holes, I managed to find a picture demonstrating why the ITV News 'glass desk top' has to be CGI overlay.  There is simply insufficient uniform reflection of the green background strong enough to create a sustainable image of high quality. It would just keep fading out at the edges.

RE: ITV News - bilky asko - 02-06-2023

(02-06-2023, 09:52 AM)Stuart Wrote:  After burrowing down some Google rabbit holes, I managed to find a picture demonstrating why the ITV News 'glass desk top' has to be CGI overlay.  There is simply insufficient uniform reflection of the green background strong enough to create a sustainable image of high quality. It would just keep fading out at the edges.

The reflection isn't a "CGI overlay" at all. The desk reflects the green enough for it to be keyed out, but the virtual set design includes a piece of darkened "glass" to create a reflection, in the right position to align with the real desk.

RE: ITV News - Studio7 - 02-06-2023

@alfiejmulcahy put up a picture on the blue forum showing exactly how the desk reflection works:

[Image: Screenshot_20210205-230327_YouTube.jpg]

RE: ITV News - DTV - 02-06-2023

The BBC used to use the same technique in Studio A. It's also why the desks don't have a full glass desk top - if you look at the three-stage picture above, you'll notice that the virtual glass reflection is bigger than the real panel on the desk - this is so that you can avoid any issues around the edge of the reflection if the real desk is slightly out of place.

RE: ITV News - ViridianFan - 02-06-2023

(02-06-2023, 09:52 AM)Stuart Wrote:  After burrowing down some Google rabbit holes, I managed to find a picture demonstrating why the ITV News 'glass desk top' has to be CGI overlay.  There is simply insufficient uniform reflection of the green background strong enough to create a sustainable image of high quality. It would just keep fading out at the edges.

I’m going to ask what is probably a really stupid question so apologies now.

With this virtual set i knee that it was all green screen apart from the desk (minus reflection) and the wood floor under it, but in this photo it shows the screen to the right of the desk.  Is that  actually there behind the green or has someone superimposed it on to show where it is?