Pres Café
ITV News - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: ITV News (/showthread.php?tid=166)

RE: ITV News - DTV - 03-06-2023

(03-06-2023, 12:18 AM)Stuart Wrote:  That's the point I've been making. I don't think there is enough 'green' to produce anything to key out. CSO surroundings need to be quite brightly lit, hence why these studios are startlingly bright. That's why they have a CGI overlay of the desk as a different layer of the VR environment.

I don't think they can key out areas which are 'almost green'. You'd have elements of your set disappearing all over the place.
Depends on how advanced the chromakey system is - ITV's is clearly quite good at removing almost green bits.

The key bit in the video is from about 03:06 to 03:14 - you can clearly see the view of the rostrum through the desk disappear as the reflection on the desk gets greener. It's definitely chromakeyed rather than overlayed, not least as you wouldn't be able to see through the desk at all if the image was overlayed on top of the main CSO footage. Plus, I don't see how any overlay would be able to achieve the reflections of presenters, keyboards, etc. - that could only be gained through the standard chromakey technique.

RE: ITV News - bilky asko - 03-06-2023

(03-06-2023, 12:18 AM)Stuart Wrote:  That's the point I've been making. I don't think there is enough 'green' to produce anything to key out. CSO surroundings need to be quite brightly lit, hence why these studios are startlingly bright. That's why they have a CGI overlay of the desk as a different layer of the VR environment.

I don't think they can key out areas which are 'almost green'. You'd have elements of your set (and talent) disappearing all over the place.

This is a fascinating discussion. Tongue

(Do we have anyone on here from ITN who can corroborate me or serve up my next portion of humble pie?)

The reason it can handle a dimmer (but still a good quality and even) green on the desk is similar to how it can handle the projected images onto the green screen - it's because it's a very good system that can handle such variation, and manage green spill well too.

The separate layer is there to ensure a correctly-rendered reflection, with a dimmed colour to match the newscaster's real reflection.

RE: ITV News - alfiejmulcahy - 03-06-2023

(03-06-2023, 12:08 AM)bilky asko Wrote:  But you can see the equipment under the desk in this case, because at that angle there's not enough green for it to be keyed out.
As shown here, especially in the first image you can only see a reflection in the areas where green can be reflected by the real perspex top. The real studio lights are also being reflected. And if you look carefully at the bottom corner of the tabletop in both images, the section where no green is reflected appears black, and does not reflect the virtual surroundings.
[Image: Screenshot%202023-06-03%203_34_35%20PM.png]
[Image: Screenshot%202023-06-03%203_32_46%20PM.png]

RE: ITV News - JMT1985 - 03-06-2023

ITV News have always been good with their green screen virtual studio - they invested more in it I was told since 2004 to ensure the quality is maintained.

I was told ITV News also use movable green screen boards to alter the set when required - I was told these were used during the recent general elections broadcast from the studio, when Tom left his main desk area and started to move around the studio - the movable boards were used to hide the entrance/exit points for people to get on to the set.

The studio itself is actually fairly small - not a great deal of space, and so having the virtual green screen ensures ITV News have a set which can look bigger on screen.

RE: ITV News - AaronLancs - 03-06-2023

Am the the only one who is riveted with this sort of discussion? Just me then.

Also, given the shots of the studio being a green screen environ. Has it always been a green screen since 2004 or has a blue screen been used.

RE: ITV News - JMT1985 - 03-06-2023

(03-06-2023, 05:46 PM)AaronLancs Wrote:  Am the the only one who is riveted with this sort of discussion? Just me then.

Also, given the shots of the studio being a green screen environ. Has it always been a green screen since 2004 or has a blue screen been used.
Since 2004 it has always been green screen - the first green screen era saw a curved video wall, with the wall green screen, but there was the platform where the news readers walked around, and of course the desk area. 

When they ditched the curved video wall, it became a complete green screen studio in 2009 as part of the ITV News new look launched that November, and has remained a complete green screen studio since. 

It has never been blue screen as far as I know.

RE: ITV News - chris - 03-06-2023

(03-06-2023, 06:05 PM)JMT1985 Wrote:  Since 2004 it has always been green screen - the first green screen era saw a curved video wall, with the wall green screen, but there was the platform where the news readers walked around, and of course the desk area. 

When they ditched the curved video wall, it became a complete green screen studio in 2009 as part of the ITV News new look launched that November, and has remained a complete green screen studio since. 

It has never been blue screen as far as I know.

I thought it became totally green screen with the relaunch of News at Ten in 2008, and they created the platform virtually.

RE: ITV News - Stuart - 03-06-2023

(03-06-2023, 05:46 PM)AaronLancs Wrote:  Am the the only one who is riveted with this sort of discussion? Just me then.
You're not the only one, I found it fascinating. I never mind being corrected if it means my knowledge has increased on a topic.

RE: ITV News - thomalex - 03-06-2023

I must admit I had no idea the studio was entirely green screen. I knew some of it was but assumed the pillars/walls and the wall with the screen were all physically there with the green screen just filling in the newsroom windows. It's very convincing!

RE: ITV News - Studio7 - 03-06-2023

(03-06-2023, 06:25 PM)chris Wrote:  I thought it became totally green screen with the relaunch of News at Ten in 2008, and they created the platform virtually.
It did. Looked pretty awful as well.