Pres Café
ITV News - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: ITV News (/showthread.php?tid=166)

RE: ITV News - Stuart - 04-06-2023

(04-06-2023, 11:25 AM)bilky asko Wrote:  I'm sure I've read before (likely on TV Forum) that digital camera sensors are much more sensitive to green, making it the better colour over blue for keying, and being part of making it easier to light.
It's more to do with skin tone contrasts. Nobody is actually green, even when a bit poorly. Tongue

RE: ITV News - Steve in Pudsey - 04-06-2023

For reasons that I'm sure made sense to somebody, Look North at Woodhouse Lane had a blue screen in the self op/DTL which was used for the Hull weather and a green screen in the main studio, so the weather forecaster had to to really restrict their wardrobe or be ready for quick changes.

I think I've seen yellow in use in some old news sets for the over the shoulder images

(04-06-2023, 11:49 AM)Steve in Pudsey Wrote:  I  think I've seen yellow in use in some old news sets for the over the shoulder images
It was only ever OTS images, and watching the old 1970s Election repeats on BBC Parliament exposed how bad that worked.

RE: ITV News - chris - 04-06-2023

(04-06-2023, 10:46 AM)Spencer Wrote:  Could the move to green rather than blue screen have mainly been because people tend to wear more blue clothes than green ones, so it creates fewer wardrobe issues?

I remember when BBC Weather initially switched to green while at TVC, the quality of the keying looked really poor in comparison to when they were using blue.

Doesn’t BBC Weather now have a system that can switch between the two, depending on attire?

(04-06-2023, 12:30 PM)chris Wrote:  Doesn’t BBC Weather now have a system that can switch between the two, depending on attire?
They do, rather in the same way I can change the colour of the LED lights In my house.

RE: ITV News - Brekkie - 04-06-2023

(04-06-2023, 11:20 AM)Stuart Wrote:  While looking for a picture of a red CSO curtain option in one of the basement NaT studios at GIR I found this lovely video from much later. It's a bit fab from a pres point of view for me.

I never understood why it didn't last long. The daytime and evening news also had a different virtual set background colour and character . . . why did someone think a vitual underground car park was better?

This was the last one from this virtual set, and they did a lovely sweep of the VR environment at the end. I'm sure this is a copy of my own recording that I posted on YT, but hey, who cares as it's safely stored on TVL.

https://youtu.be/_S_G3FTWuko 

I'm one of the few who has a soft spot for the car park of news era that followed but I always thought News at Ten should have retained a unique look with a hybrid of the two looks - basically switch the yellow for blue and have the London scenery as imagery within the grey pains.

(04-06-2023, 12:47 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  I'm one of the few who has a soft spot for the car park of news era
Yes, you are! Tongue

I have never denied the quality of the VR required with that, just the weird concept.

RE: ITV News - RDJ - 04-06-2023

Talking about the current set, just watched the lunchtime news with Faye Barker.

For some reason the studio seemed much smaller than usual. The side screens were not that far away from the desk.

I’m not sure if it was just the different camera angles that were being used or whether they might be in a different studio possibly?

RE: ITV News - freeview87 - 04-06-2023

(04-06-2023, 12:57 PM)Stuart Wrote:  Yes, you are! Tongue

I have never denied the quality of the VR required with that, just the weird concept.

The music used for the titles I always thought were more superior than the look. Shame they didn't keep that version of the theme.

RE: ITV News - JMT1985 - 04-06-2023

(04-06-2023, 01:29 PM)RDJ Wrote:  Talking about the current set, just watched the lunchtime news with Faye Barker.

For some reason the studio seemed much smaller than usual. The side screens were not that far away from the desk.

I’m not sure if it was just the different camera angles that were being used or whether they might be in a different studio possibly?

I have noticed it too - also last week on News at Ten I noticed the lighting look different, with Tom lit differently to how it usually looks lit. 

I don't think they have moved into a different studio, as that is impossible I believe, but there could simply be some work being done in Studio 1, possibly even upgrading the studio. Since they have no other green screen studio to decamp to, this would mean the look of the news programmes could be affect slightly.