Pres Café
ITV News - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: ITV News (/showthread.php?tid=166)

RE: ITV News - TVenthusiasm - 04-06-2023

(04-06-2023, 03:59 PM)JMT1985 Wrote:  I have noticed it too - also last week on News at Ten I noticed the lighting look different, with Tom lit differently to how it usually looks lit. 

I don't think they have moved into a different studio, as that is impossible I believe, but there could simply be some work being done in Studio 1, possibly even upgrading the studio. Since they have no other green screen studio to decamp to, this would mean the look of the news programmes could be affect slightly.

I think they may have used the smaller ITV News London side of the set - which is of course directly facing the national set on the other side. Plus with this most likely being the only studio ITV can use I doubt they were doing upgrades.

RE: ITV News - Spencer - 04-06-2023

Stuart Wrote:It's more to do with skin tone contrasts. Nobody is actually green, even when a bit poorly. Tongue
You obviously haven’t been on a North Sea ferry in a force ten gale.  Big Grin

RE: ITV News - bilky asko - 04-06-2023

(04-06-2023, 11:49 AM)Stuart Wrote:  It's more to do with skin tone contrasts. Nobody is actually green, even when a bit poorly. Tongue

That doesn't explain why it was changed, of course.

I've had a look around to see if there were any posts on TV Forum, or from elsewhere, and I've come up with this from noggin on TV Forum:

noggin from TV Forum Wrote:Of course now we have 4:2:2 to cope with, we no longer have full-bandwith RGB, which is why Green-screen is a much better choice than blue-screen for a high quality video key these days (as you get much more G content in the full-bandwith Y channel than you do B content, which is mainly carried in a half-bandwith Cb channel)

And I also found this:

noggin from TV Forum Wrote:In current 3CCD studio cameras that isn't the case, as they use three separate sensors of equal resolution. Ikegami made an SD 4 CCD camera with two offset green sensors to increase the green resolution - but there were also issues about avoiding the EU's 3CCD import tariffs ISTR (a 4CCD camera didn't count?)

However the 4:2:2 YCrCb sampling system used to get pictures from camera CCUs into vision mixers does favour green over red and blue.

Single-sensor cameras used for location filming (and high-end 4K OBs like the Sony F55) use a single large sensor (similar to DSLRs) that use a Beyer or similar filter pattern that usually has twice as many green sensor sites as Red and Blue (often a 2x2 block with 2 Green, 1 Red and 1 Blue)

Which suggests it was a consideration in the early days of digital studio cameras, but hasn't been for a while.

RE: ITV News - agemame - 04-06-2023

Originally, blue screens were blue because it was something that could be chemically dissolved from film negative stock without doing much damage elsewhere (Superman when he flew was slightly teal at one stage to account for it).

Certainly when Midway Games were building a digital rig for CPU digitisation of footage for their arcade games, they started with grey and a lumakey, then experimented with blue, but found floor reflections were an issue. I think eventually they settled on a matt floor like the ITV News table, but eventually moved to green for the same reason as here i.e. comping out blue lost too much data.

RE: ITV News - VMPhil - 14-06-2023

Oops, they forgot to put Rageh’s name in the end credits on News at Ten, so we just got a blank “newscaster” credit instead.

RE: ITV News - Scratch_Perry - 15-07-2023

Who's the woman hosting the ITV News bulletins this evening (not seen her before)?

RE: ITV News - EJnutz - 15-07-2023

That is Rebecca Barry. She is a news correspondent on ITV News. Recently she has been reporting a lot on crime stories

RE: ITV News - Scratch_Perry - 16-07-2023

(15-07-2023, 07:38 PM)EJnutz Wrote:  That is Rebecca Barry. She is a news correspondent on ITV News. Recently she has been reporting a lot on crime stories
Thanks for that.

RE: ITV News - Andrew - 29-07-2023

This week it was the turn of Yasmin Bodalbahi to present the Saturday bulletins

RE: ITV News - Scratch_Perry - 30-07-2023

(29-07-2023, 10:11 PM)Andrew Wrote:  This week it was the turn of Yasmin Bodalbahi to present the Saturday bulletins

What's her "day job"?  

There seems to be a lot of relative unknowns (to the masses) who are hosting ITV weekend news bulletins.