Pres Café
ITV News - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: ITV News (/showthread.php?tid=166)

RE: ITV News - Marcell - 24-08-2023

(23-08-2023, 10:02 PM)steve Wrote:  Conscious this is the wrong thread really, but as an aside I was in the gallery for the 10 not long after the recap started (with the move to 10) and it’s fair to say Michael Buerk was not hugely impressed to have 7 minutes sat there for a 30 second recap 😊

I never understood the need for it. Having the presenter sit through the regional bulletin, to give a short update always seemed pretty pointless to me.

The only positive was having a lovely close to each programme.

RE: ITV News - Spencer - 24-08-2023

I remember an Alistair McGowan sketch, when they first started having the recap after the regional news as part of the Six, in which they showed what Huw Edwards was up to during that half hour – things like vacuuming the studio and painting a lovely watercolour of Isobel Laing doing the weather. Smile

RE: ITV News - lepeterrr - 24-08-2023

(23-08-2023, 10:02 PM)steve Wrote:  Conscious this is the wrong thread really, but as an aside I was in the gallery for the 10 not long after the recap started (with the move to 10) and it’s fair to say Michael Buerk was not hugely impressed to have 7 minutes sat there for a 30 second recap 😊
What? Getting payed to sit there doing nothing for 7 minutes on a good salary? If he didn't want it I'd happily take it!  Cool

RE: ITV News - Brekkie - 24-08-2023

And a newsreader spends most of their half hour bulletin not on air anyway.

RE: ITV News - Stuart - 25-08-2023

(24-08-2023, 03:45 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  And a newsreader spends most of their half hour bulletin not on air anyway.
They may not be in vision, but the running order could be changing because reports aren't available, or they may be getting instructions about a developing story.  I doubt any bulletin ever goes exactly as planned between the moment they walk into the studio and when they leave it.

It's not like they're sat there in the meantime sending WhatsApp messages about what to have for tea later.

RE: ITV News - itsrobert - 25-08-2023

I've seen a lot of TV news bulletins from the gallery over the years and being a newsreader is definitely a high-pressure job. They aren't sitting there twiddling their thumbs during VTs - as Stuart says, they are discussing changes to the running order, tweaking scripts, liaising with the director over upcoming camera shots, making small talk and discussing the line of questioning with both in-studio guests and DTL interviews with correspondents, etc.

Most of the bulletins I've seen in person have had a chaotic feel to them and I always come away feeling that it's a miracle they actually come off on air as well as they do. Honestly, what you see on TV bears absolutely no resemblance to what's going on behind the scenes. I've often recorded the bulletins I'm due to see in person and watching them back later it really is amazing that none of the chaos behind the scenes is visible to the audience. That is the skill of a newsreader - keeping everything under control while it's all falling apart around them.

Some of my favourites I've seen over the years have been the ITV Lunchtime News. Lunchtime bulletins always have something of a 'lively' feel to them. The news agenda for the day is still firming up, there are plenty of developing stories and lots of lives during the broadcast. The evening/late bulletins have generally been a bit more orderly, but not always of course!

I've seen quite a few high profile BBC and ITV newsreaders over the years and my favourite has to be Alastair Stewart. He was a consummate professional and a real showman. I recall him walking into the studio just a few minutes before the Lunchtime News was due to go on air and right up to the wire he was still debating the terminology in the script for the bongs with the programme editor and rewriting until the very last minute. Yet, he made it all look easy.

The other good situation - well for the observer at least - is when the top story isn't ready moments before TX. That's always a spectacle to behold! Another good Lunchtime News I saw was when one of the cameras broke during the programme. They had to segue from two in-studio interviews without one of the cameras. The directing from Paul Swindell was masterful - Geraint Vincent was instructed to read slowly while they swapped out the guests using the same chair (had the camera not broken down, they could have used both sides of the desk). Watching it back later, the audience would never have known what had happened.

RE: ITV News - Scoob19 - 26-08-2023

Paul Brand with news at ten last night for the first time, and Gamal the night before

RE: ITV News - Brekkie - 26-08-2023

Didn't even realise Paul Brand was now reading the news as well - and to think back in the day even regular anchors of other bulletins had to prove themselves for years before being allowed anywhere near News at Ten.

Obviously it's summer and more than that the peak holiday period of summer but it seems this last couple of weeks even the B-team has been off screen too. Yasmin Bodalbhai has been doing the Lunchtime News as well.

RE: ITV News - UTVLifer - 26-08-2023

Paul has been doing weekend bulletins since last October so I'm not surprised given it's the peak holiday period going into a bank holiday weekend, that he was given a go with News at Ten last night - and he did a fine job presenting last night

RE: ITV News - eyeTV - 26-08-2023

It always seems strange to me though when other people cover News at Ten as it seems they try to get them to do it Tom Bradby style. Which is, lets face it, entirely unique.