Pres Café
ITV News - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: ITV News (/showthread.php?tid=166)

RE: ITV News - Kojak - 16-11-2022

(16-11-2022, 12:44 AM)Newsroom Wrote:  
(16-11-2022, 12:07 AM)Kojak Wrote:  Does anyone else think there is still (nearly three years on!) a big hole in the presenter line-up since Alastair Stewart left? Until the start of 2020, whenever any of the main presenters (so Nina, Mary, Tom/Julie/Rageh) were away, 9 times out of 10 Alastair would fill in. Now it seems to be anyone and everyone. Over the past few months I've seen Lucrezia and Chris Ship on News at Ten, Gamal on the Lunchtime and even Evening News, and it seems anyone walking along Gray's Inn Road gets to do the Lunchtime News. I don't know. It just seems to lack consistency now.
Someone do correct me if I’m wrong, but I’m very sure Mary hasn’t presented NAT since Tom Brady replaced Mark Austin. I believe that she made it very clear at the time she wouldn’t be continuing with NAT in any capacity. I’ve had a look on YouTube and can’t see a trace of her doing so.

I don't know anything about Mary refusing to cover after 'Bradby-gate' (though it sounds like you do!) - but you are definitely correct that she has not done a single Ten since 2015. Or a Lunchtime News, for that matter. I believe the official reason is that 'ITV like to keep certain presenters to certain bulletins'. How much truth there is to that line, I don't know, given that Nina sometimes does News at Ten, Charlene and Lucrezia regularly appear across all three bulletins, and Tom Bradby even did a Lunchtime the other week! (albeit from Downing Street).

Back in the days of the News at 10:30, Mary hardly ever appeared on that (despite her initially being touted as one of the presenters of that bulletin!) - I think possibly no more than a dozen times over the four years that it ran? After Trevor left, it was nearly always one of Mark, Alastair or James Mates on that programme.

RE: ITV News - mrarg1393 - 16-11-2022

(16-11-2022, 12:07 AM)Kojak Wrote:  Does anyone else think there is still (nearly three years on!) a big hole in the presenter line-up since Alastair Stewart left? Until the start of 2020, whenever any of the main presenters (so Nina, Mary, Tom/Julie/Rageh) were away, 9 times out of 10 Alastair would fill in. Now it seems to be anyone and everyone. Over the past few months I've seen Lucrezia and Chris Ship on News at Ten, Gamal on the Lunchtime and even Evening News, and it seems anyone walking along Gray's Inn Road gets to do the Lunchtime News. I don't know. It just seems to lack consistency now.
It could be that they are just testing the waters for the future anchors maybe? After all, Mary won’t be there forever so someone else will take over as Anchor eventually for the evening news… my money would be on Lucrezia personally as Charlene is too busy with Loose Women to do ITV News full time unless she left there to concentrate on ITV News fully. But I know what you mean; there’s been a lot of new faces popping up recently.

RE: ITV News - Andrew - 16-11-2022

Do you not think the perceived shortage is basically due to Charlene not being available and anyone having been involved in lengthy broadcasts following the Queen’s death and various political events having accrued holidays. It’s hardly as extreme as described above

RE: ITV News - Newsroom - 16-11-2022

(16-11-2022, 09:44 AM)Andrew Wrote:  Do you not think the perceived shortage is basically due to Charlene not being available and anyone having been involved in lengthy broadcasts following the Queen’s death and various political events having accrued holidays. It’s hardly as extreme as described above

I think it's a simple case of inconsistency,  but hey, that's been happening at the BBC for quite some time. The 'Anchor' or 'Chief' presenter appears to have less significance in this country these days and that's probably for the better. I do understand the point that people DO tune in to these 'appointment to view' bulletins and expect to see a regular face, certainly folk on an elder generation do anyway. 

I don't think it's got anything to do with someone being elsewhere, or anyone having pulled mega shifts two moths ago as being relevant to said inconsistencies. 

Over at the BBC, Clive Myrie has been absent from a fixed news programme for almost just as long.

(16-11-2022, 09:44 AM)Andrew Wrote:  Do you not think the perceived shortage is basically due to Charlene not being available and anyone having been involved in lengthy broadcasts following the Queen’s death and various political events having accrued holidays. It’s hardly as extreme as described above

Look, obviously it doesn’t matter at all in the grand scheme of things (as long as Ant or Dec don’t turn up on News at Ten one evening!). I was merely making an observation about how it currently seems to be a bit of a free for all. Not saying that’s a good thing or a bad thing - just that it’s a thing.

RE: ITV News - Eli22 - 16-11-2022

Is Nina still the main presenter for the Lunchtime News? She’s been on and off for several weeks with Lucrezia, Geraint, Gamal and Lucy making appearances through the week. Also when did she last present evening news? She used to be the main stand in.

Elsewhere, more explainers are being published on ITV News Instagram fronted by Sangeeta and Faye. Is this in line with ITV X launch?

(16-11-2022, 01:29 PM)Eli22 Wrote:  Also when did she last present evening news? She used to be the main stand in.
I don’t think Nina has done an Evening News since 2019. When she became lead on the Lunchtime, I think that’s when she stopped appearing on the EN.

RE: ITV News - XIII - 16-11-2022

(16-11-2022, 12:31 PM)Kojak Wrote:  

Look, obviously it doesn’t matter at all in the grand scheme of things (as long as Ant or Dec don’t turn up on News at Ten one evening!). I was merely making an observation about how it currently seems to be a bit of a free for all. Not saying that’s a good thing or a bad thing - just that it’s a thing.

Don't watch ITV London because that's always a free for all.

RE: ITV News - JLav25 - 16-11-2022

(16-11-2022, 12:31 PM)Kojak Wrote:  

Well, there is a precedence https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9DZzmSvlN4 

RE: ITV News - Andrew - 16-11-2022

Lunchtime News has a lower profile, hence it is more likely to have less known people hosting it, it’s just the same on the BBC

The Evening News is pretty consistent, it’s fairly rare when it isn’t either Mary, Charlene or Lucrezia hosting