Pres Café
ITV News - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: ITV News (/showthread.php?tid=166)

RE: chris - DTV - 19-11-2022

(19-11-2022, 09:39 PM)Kojak Wrote:  I suspect ITN have thought (and are thinking of) lots of different ways (and dare I say gimmicks?) to keep viewers engaged in that second half, and I expect we've not seen some of these yet. (Just as long as they don't bring back The Pulse! ) One thing I am surprised they haven't tried is a sport bulletin - I can only imagine this is because ITV don't have a massive amount of sport rights anymore. A lot of hour-long bulletins on channels in other countries tend to dedicate a good chunk of their hour to sport news.

The absence of a sport news bulletin from any of the main broadcasters has always felt to me a bit of a missed opportunity (though you did briefly get Saturday Sportsday on BBC One). You don't actually need any sports rights to show short highlights reels (after a brief time limit) and there are clearly a lot of people interested in sport news. The BBC could easily put out a daily edition of Sportsday on BBC One or Two, or even just have left Sportsday on BBC One HD instead of the holding slide. Would certainly get better figures than consigning it to the News channel.

RE: ITV News - Stuart - 19-11-2022

(17-11-2022, 08:09 PM)ldnpres Wrote:  How is the Evening News rating since the hour-long bulletin was introduced, out of interest?

On another subject, it's amazing to think the current branding has been in for 10 years next year. It still looks pretty fresh, although I'm excited to see what they come up with next year. I understand there's a big remodelling of the newsroom in Grays Inn Road - it would be brilliant to see them move back into the newsroom, IMO, like they were in the late nineties. I think CSO and green screen studios are less and less common in news around Europe, so it would be good to see ITV make the change.
I've never quite made it to the end of the extended bulletin as I'm usually eating by 7pm.

The current branding is fine, as is the studio 'set', which of course can be changed at the press of a button for the different bulletins. They can't move too far away from what they've got without having to also alter all the regional studios. I guess that's the drawback of having a unified look.

It will always look nice and fresh, because a set which is mainly VR can't ever get grubby or look worn. Just some tinkering to the backgrounds would be fine if they feel they need to alter anything after 10 years.

RE: ITV News - JMT1985 - 19-11-2022

(19-11-2022, 10:52 PM)Stuart Wrote:  
(17-11-2022, 08:09 PM)ldnpres Wrote:  How is the Evening News rating since the hour-long bulletin was introduced, out of interest?

On another subject, it's amazing to think the current branding has been in for 10 years next year. It still looks pretty fresh, although I'm excited to see what they come up with next year. I understand there's a big remodelling of the newsroom in Grays Inn Road - it would be brilliant to see them move back into the newsroom, IMO, like they were in the late nineties. I think CSO and green screen studios are less and less common in news around Europe, so it would be good to see ITV make the change.
I've never quite made it to the end of the extended bulletin as I'm usually eating by 7pm.

The current branding is fine, as is the studio 'set', which of course can be changed at the press of a button for the different bulletins. They can't move too far away from what they've got without having to also alter all the regional studios. I guess that's the drawback of having a unified look.

It will always look nice and fresh, because a set which is mainly VR can't ever get grubby or look worn. Just some tinkering to the backgrounds would be fine if they feel they need to alter anything after 10 years.
That is exactly what I have been saying. There is no need for a massive scale change to ITV News, simply a little tweak and refresh. As you said, ITV News have the advantage of being pure green screen VR set, that changing the backdrop can all be more easily done than using real sets which BBC News do.

RE: chris - Andrew - 20-11-2022

(19-11-2022, 09:55 PM)DTV Wrote:  
(19-11-2022, 09:39 PM)Kojak Wrote:  I suspect ITN have thought (and are thinking of) lots of different ways (and dare I say gimmicks?) to keep viewers engaged in that second half, and I expect we've not seen some of these yet. (Just as long as they don't bring back The Pulse! ) One thing I am surprised they haven't tried is a sport bulletin - I can only imagine this is because ITV don't have a massive amount of sport rights anymore. A lot of hour-long bulletins on channels in other countries tend to dedicate a good chunk of their hour to sport news.

The absence of a sport news bulletin from any of the main broadcasters has always felt to me a bit of a missed opportunity (though you did briefly get Saturday Sportsday on BBC One). You don't actually need any sports rights to show short highlights reels (after a brief time limit) and there are clearly a lot of people interested in sport news. The BBC could easily put out a daily edition of Sportsday on BBC One or Two, or even just have left Sportsday on BBC One HD instead of the holding slide. Would certainly get better figures than consigning it to the News channel.

It’s funny that the only place you get an extended sports bulletin on the main channels is on BBC Breakfast (and to some degree at weekends on BBC network bulletins)

They could easily flesh out more sport in the extended evening news, if they wanted to

RE: ITV News - eyeTV - 22-11-2022

Rageh attempting to drink from a huge bottle at the end of News at Ten  Big Grin

https://twitter.com/scottygb/status/1595049413788966914?s=20&t=ufYTt5tasX-x5G0SryH6yw 

RE: ITV News - Stuart - 22-11-2022

(22-11-2022, 03:14 PM)eyeTV Wrote:  Rageh attempting to drink from a huge bottle at the end of News at Ten  Big Grin

https://twitter.com/scottygb/status/1595049413788966914?s=20&t=ufYTt5tasX-x5G0SryH6yw 
It's better than needless 'paper shuffling', although Mary Nightingale usually just puts on her glasses and then clicks something on the monitor underneath the glass top of the desk.

RE: ITV News - rick - 22-11-2022

Rageh usually takes that water bottle out for a swig after a programme ends. Can't say I've seen him forget to take the top off first though!

RE: ITV News - XIII - 25-11-2022

Nina and Lucrezia are on Celebrity Antique Roadtrip and Tim the voiceover managed to get the facts about them wrong.

RE: ITV News - LiamFitz - 26-11-2022

Deborah Cohen has announced on Twitter this evening that she’s “stepping aside” from her role of Science Editor to “focus on my own projects”.
https://twitter.com/deb_cohen/status/1596273783710842880?s=46&t=sC-9tEkXm9-r37LGhJaQng 

RE: ITV News - chris - 29-11-2022

Not strictly ITV News but you may see something different about ITN from tomorrow.