Pres Café
BBC/STV Scotland News - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: BBC/STV Scotland News (/showthread.php?tid=170)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

RE: BBC/STV Scotland News - Stuart - 09-06-2023

(09-06-2023, 07:50 PM)Jayesyn Wrote:  The matching globe with Newsline is nice, the set is such a downgrade from what came before though
This is a problem with a few of the nations/regions. Scotland had quite a nice set before, as does Plymouth now, so I'm not looking forward to the downgrade there.

RE: BBC/STV Scotland News - DTV - 09-06-2023

As others have said, it's hard to escape the 'barren' conclusion - gives me flashbacks to some of the programmes that used TC7's Barco set less well - just too much nothing space. Obviously it's ultimately the same as the English regions, but they can get away with a relatively simple set-up it as they're in smaller spaces - this could really have done with borrowing an extra element or two from the national/Breakfast set to fill out the frame. I expect other programmes (if it still shares) might use the space better, but I feel they've dropped the ball here.

I'm not outright opposed to them and it's certainly better than the Victoria Derbyshire desk they were using before, but the standing desk could do with the glass/lightbox being full-height. Though, I guess it might be designed to be changed out for other programmes?

That all said, the graphics do look good and it's quite a nice looking backdrop - it's a shame they haven't incorporated any blue into the set, but the skyline backdrops do help give the sets a bit more colour than the national one.

RE: BBC/STV Scotland News - London Lite - 09-06-2023

I can't help thinking that the English regional generic sofa and table would have been a better fit than the standing desk.

They'd still have the tower and screens for explainers, but would fill the other side of the set better.

RE: BBC/STV Scotland News - mouseboy33 - 09-06-2023

Well its a very economical solution since its literally just 3 big screens and some vent looking panels at the top. I dont mind it. I think the empty feeling comes from the blank black floor. Could they have integrated rings on the floor using different materials? Could it have been shiny instead of matte? (Personally I hate a matte floor.) Buts its not horrible. But I do think since this a "Nations" could it have a few more bells and whistles like the Big National studio in London? This is very similar to other regional studios (Sorry I dont know/remember studio numbers like you guys) Maybe not as big but maybe some risers or a fake stair case? Just a thought.

RE: BBC/STV Scotland News - UTVLifer - 09-06-2023

Did PQ overspend on the screens and thus all the furniture ended up getting reprocessed?

RE: BBC/STV Scotland News - Bazinga - 10-06-2023

The new Reporting Scotland set in my opinion, is a real step back from the previous design, and even the temporary studio they’ve been using.

It seems to look very sparse and plain. If they had been able to add a screen to the right of the desk like in the National set, then it may have looked a bit better.

RE: BBC/STV Scotland News - Former Member 406 - 10-06-2023

It's all very nice that they've made enough LED set wall to utilise to full size of the studio, rather than having a set based on the Birmingham studio's dimensions regardless of studio size (as most English Regions are allegedly getting, which will mean a fairly small set lost in the middle of a much larger studio in the cases of Newcastle, Southampton, and Bristol at least).

But, as others have noted, it's odd to still only put a single monolith in the front-left corner and a desk area in the back-right corner and sod all else (just like the English Regions) with a truckload of vacant space in the middle.

Unless they're gonna start doing AR explainers à la Wales Today in that middle space, or e.g. permanently relocate The Nine/Seven from the atrium to Studio C and fill that space with a purple sofa, then it's just a huge void.

RE: BBC/STV Scotland News - chris - 11-06-2023

Sadly, these sets look no different to the N6 relaunch in 2006. That’s what I find mostly disappointing. Of course the technology has improved - there are no gaps in BARCOs - but fundamentally we’re talking about a rectangular box with screens.

RE: BBC/STV Scotland News - AaronLancs - 11-06-2023

Thinking on with how this set design has been implemented at Pacific Quay and the general consensus that has prevailed before airing.

Could one say it has exposed the - sorry to use the term - "haves and have nots" in terms of those who have had a bigger studio / set all along and that maybe there should have been a concerted move to either increase or - in this case with Reporting Scotland - decrease overall studio / set size accordingly.

Plus, as an additional point to make. Could there be a thing to get the studios having a new look first before any tinkering around - adding additional studio "furniture" for example such as adding an additional tower / monolith - thus ending up with the hinterland of the 2003-2008 look where no two studios followed the same playbook.

RE: BBC/STV Scotland News - ViridianFan - 11-06-2023

I’ve got to agree with others here and say it is a bit of downgrade from what they’ve had before. It just feels so empty. I think mainly as you’ve got the desk pushed into one corner and tower in the other. It works fine in the smaller regional studio but looks silly in a bigger one such as here.

I’m also not a huge fan of the back drops they’ve picked. It gives the impression of floating above the city. Id have gone for something more along the lines of landmarks across the country or region which slowly changes.