Pres Café
UKTV Play to go HD - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Online Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: UKTV Play to go HD (/showthread.php?tid=173)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

RE: UKTV Play to go HD - dbl - 31-08-2023

(25-08-2023, 10:23 PM)James2001 Wrote:  Drama, though this issue seems to be affecting new acquisitions of SD content across the UKTV channels since the end of last year, not just that show.

It might be good time to mention that the programme versioning for linear/UKTV Play is done by RED BEE on behalf of UKTV. Not UKTV directly. 

There's also no plans for 50fps at the moment on Play

RE: UKTV Play to go HD - James2001 - 31-08-2023

Though even then, you have to question why a company with such expertise and long standing as Red Bee has been able to let something like this be passing through uncorrected for months on end.

(31-08-2023, 12:27 AM)dbl Wrote:  There's also no plans for 50fps at the moment on Play

That's unfortunate, as it's the main thing that's keeping streaming providing an inferior product to linear TV and physical media. But then when they can't get 50i content to go out properly on their linear channels, why expect them to do it on streaming?

RE: UKTV Play to go HD - Technologist - 31-08-2023

and playout is by SES
https://www.ses.com/ses-signs-bbc-studios-adoption-playout-solutions-and-distribution-50-video-channels 

Though I assume the problem isn't with playout, otherwise it would be affecting all their output.

RE: UKTV Play to go HD - Neil Jones - 31-08-2023

(31-08-2023, 09:51 AM)James2001 Wrote:  Though I assume the problem isn't with playout, otherwise it would be affecting all their output.

I think I said on a previous page that the same effect appears in the UK TV Play app (on Firestick at least) so I don't think its a playout issue. If it was Playout surely it would affect everything on screen - trailers, idents, stings, adverts? And it doesn't.

Everything's like that on UKTV Play due to the fact it only streams at 25fps (apart from download through Sky boxes, where I think it is 50i), so it all looks like that on there even if it goes out properly on linear TV, so we can't really use UKTV Play to judge. As I've said before, 50/60fps SHOULD have been standard on streaming services years ago, but it still looks like that's years away, if ever.

It doesn't even affect all the programmes on their linear channels, as I've said it specifically seems to be limited to SD content that's been acquired since the end of last year, it doesn't affect HD programmes, or SD ones that were acquired before last November. Being able to pinpoint when it started and that it's only affecting certain content would help narrow down what the problem is, if it was actually going to be properly investigated.

RE: UKTV Play to go HD - harshy - 31-08-2023

Possibly whoever supplies the copy for SD programmes didn’t go a good job copying and used 25p instead of 50p?

Assuming the master is 50i transferring to 50p keeps the original motion but deinterlaces the output but 25p makes it look like film.

Well the episode of Upper Hand I've just seen on Drama was so far zoomed in the captions were literally on the bottom of my screen...

I wonder if the zooming continues gradually and by the end of the third series we'll be able to see up Honor Blackman's nose. Confused (in all the glorious properties of zoomed SD videotape)

Similarly, the copyright strap on today's episode of Casualty was nearly at the bottom of the screen as well (and the end credits nearly at the edge), so with pretty much any overscan (as people watching at the time on CRTs would have had), part of them would have been cut off, so there's no way it would have been like that in 1991.

And obviously scrolling end credits, especially fast ones (Casualty's are quite slow scrolling, so not as badly affected as other shows), are another thing badly affected by the filmising, makes them jerky and hard to read. I think the BBC's production guidelines state scrolling credits have to be 50i even on shows shot in 25p for that reason.

Here's a couple of screenshots from the episode of The Upper Hand aired today.

For clarity/transparency, I have taken one shot from YouTube and the other from UKTV Play.  They are from the same episode (Series 1, Episode 5) of The Upper Hand.  They are from the same point in the episode (give or take a few frames) and are straight screenshots.  There has been no other manipulation on my part.

Here is the shot from UKTV Play which is pretty much identical to the broadcast copy:
[Image: uhdr.jpg]

And here is the same shot from the same episode from a YouTube upload (source unknown, but most likely the Network DVD):
[Image: uhyoutube.jpg]

Notice the episode title is further "in" to the screen, which is closer to where it should be for TV of the time to account for overscan as alluded to by James2001 above.

You'll also notice UKTV's copy is further "outward" than the YouTube copy and the caption is stretched as well, so looks like UKTV are stretching the picture sideways for some reason as well as zooming and filmic effecting....  *sigh*