Pres Café
UKTV Play to go HD - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Online Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: UKTV Play to go HD (/showthread.php?tid=173)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

RE: UKTV Play to go HD - James2001 - 06-09-2023

Today's Casualty wasn't zoomed in, or at least not zoomed in as much, the captions were a decent distance from the edges of the screen. Was still de-interlaced though. Maybe a sign someone's fiddling with things... but still not fixing the main problem.

RE: UKTV Play to go HD - IanJRedman - 06-09-2023

Just an idea, but has anyone considered emailing someone high-up at UKTV about this, rather than the generic contact email?

Does anyone high up have a publicly available email address?

RE: UKTV Play to go HD - Brekkie - 06-09-2023

(06-09-2023, 09:27 AM)IanJRedman Wrote:  Just an idea, but has anyone considered emailing someone high-up at UKTV about this, rather than the generic contact email?

I highly doubt they'd care, and those within UKTV who do care are probably already aware and either working on it or don't have the time or resources to correct the issue.

RE: UKTV Play to go HD - Neil Jones - 06-09-2023

To be honest once you get above a certain level in a company/establishment and you get an email along these sort of lines about playout, all that'll happen is it'll either be totally ignored or at best will be forwarded a few times to certain people and end up back at the inbox/public address you started with in the first place. So I think its a non starter so far as UKTV is concerned.

Has James2001 considered Twitter? Which is a more public grievance avenue and may be more productive if other people say yes there is a problem, what are you doing about it?

I stopped using Twitter when Musk took over, no intention of going back while he's in charge.

RE: UKTV Play to go HD - VMPhil - 06-09-2023

I’m currently watching Kingdom on Drama which looks like it’s zoomed in, which is odd because it was surely made in widescreen in 2007-09. Can anyone else confirm it looks odd? The DOG is in the right place.

If it was made in SD, which is likely (though 2007-9 was the back end of SD drama production) and it's a recent acquisition, it's likely suffering from the same de-interlacing and zooming issue we've mentioned on other shows. The latter will be less noticable due to it being shot on film, but it will still be reducing the picture quality.

Edit: looked at the most recent episode on UKTV Play, and yeah, it looks pretty awful. Very soft and blurry, and clearly zoomed in. There's no way something from 2009 should look like that, even if it was made in SD.

The end credit text looks awful, and you have the telltale copyright strap very close to the bottom of the screen

Finding a video on YouTube, while the quality's poor because whoever uploaded it shrunk the credits into a box to show off their channel's logo, you can see the copyright strap is a lot further from the bottom of the screen

RE: UKTV Play to go HD - Neil Jones - 06-09-2023

I caught the back end of Peak Practice today (Couldn't tell you which era, though it had the ITV 2001/2 ECP style credits) and that was widescreen but it had been zoomed in for no obvious reason and what I saw of the show (I've never seen Peak Practice so I haven't a clue what was going on with the storyline) the whole operation like a horrible blurry mess.

I wonder, because by 2001/2 we would be into the "shot in 16:9 but protected for 14:9" era, they've somehow (so far as Peak Practice is concerned) ended up with something intended for 14:9 and its been zoomed to get ride of the black bars you'd have seen, although how that would even happen is beyond me.

That wouldn't apply to older content like Upper Hand, which because of its age is purely 4:3 videotape, but speaking of the Hand, the episode that went out today managed to keep the tale of the lower case P in "Central Independent Television PLC"'s copyright strap on the screen in full as opposed to being chopped off on previous episodes so I'd like to think somebody has started to cottoned on...

Today's Casualty on the other hand was back to being zoomed in, and with the off-centre logo. Awful interlacing artifacts during the scrolling credits as well, they seem to be getting worse.

I'm suprised about Peak Practice, as they've been showing it for years, well before this mess started happening, unless they've acquired new copies for this particular run, which I guess is possible. The EPG says today's episode was from series 12, which was the final season in 2001/2, so should have always been properly 16:9 (I think some of the earlier seasons were in the 14:9 in a 4:3 frame format that was common on a lot of filmed dramas in the 90s, but I've not been watching on Drama to see how they handled it).