Pres Café
BBC/ITV Midlands News - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: BBC/ITV Midlands News (/showthread.php?tid=176)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28

RE: BBC/ITV Midlands News - oscillon - 17-02-2023

(16-02-2023, 11:11 PM)DTV Wrote:  From what I recall, there are three pitches of LEDs used in B - 1.5mm is used for the towers, catwalk screen and touchscreen; 2.5mm is used for the main section backdrop videowalls and 4mm is used for the upper 'floor' backdrop videowalls.

I suspect that the regions are a mix of 1.5 and 2.5mm - mirroring the national set-up.
Indeed, from the article below, the national set has 1.5mm pitch for the main presenting screens - i.e. the towers, the catwalk screen and the weather/touchscreen.
https://www.tvbeurope.com/live-production/we-wanted-a-studio-that-was-physical-not-virtual-behind-the-design-and-technology-of-bbc-news-studio-b 
NewscastStudio got it wrong this time.

So the key question is - what is the pitch for those three physical walls (1.5 or 2.5 mm) and whether moiré effect in smaller sets can be helped by choosing smaller-pitched (but may be smaller-sized, due to the set limitations) walls?

(16-02-2023, 11:37 PM)alfiejmulcahy Wrote:  Northern Ireland has three LED walls the same as an English region, but has a separate green screen AR section strapped on the side - as seen in the screenshot below.
(16-02-2023, 11:50 PM)Earlie37 Wrote:  However, as their studio is quite large, essentially the cameras can be turned almost 180 degrees in the opposite direction to the physical set. This is where the green screen is located. So essentially, you could say NI almost has a full box (i.e. three sides of LED screen and the last side is CSO). I suppose it was a cost effective way of extending what they have without splashing out on more expensive LED panelling. 
Ah, thank you both so much for clarifying, this is where the initial confusion arose from. So it is the FOURTH wall that is virtual and criticised, leaving only one small angle of the studio not on display..

RE: BBC/ITV Midlands News - Steve in Pudsey - 17-02-2023

Well it's the fourth wall and half of the third of we're being picky. The join is fairly obvious in the capture posted upthread.

RE: BBC/ITV Midlands News - steve - 17-02-2023

This may be nit-picking, but this is surely the weakest of the shots in the new sets - the angles aren't quite right for the presenter or the screen. Clearly not going to happen due to the cost, but it would look so much nicer with another tower in that corner (just as in NBH B).

RE: BBC/ITV Midlands News - Spencer - 17-02-2023

(17-02-2023, 02:27 PM)steve Wrote:  This may be nit-picking, but this is surely the weakest of the shots in the new sets - the angles aren't quite right for the presenter or the screen. Clearly not going to happen due to the cost, but it would look so much nicer with another tower in that corner (just as in NBH B).

It also goes to demonstrate why I think sofas don’t suit single-headed presentation well. That great swathe of empty red sofa dominating the shot just looks naff. Mary looks lost.

RE: BBC/ITV Midlands News - AaronLancs - 17-02-2023

(17-02-2023, 02:27 PM)steve Wrote:  This may be nit-picking, but this is surely the weakest of the shots in the new sets - the angles aren't quite right for the presenter or the screen. Clearly not going to happen due to the cost, but it would look so much nicer with another tower in that corner (just as in NBH B).
Apologies to the mods for coming up with this. Would something like a plexiglass type of column do with the programmes name printed on it and easily set-able at a 45 degree angle do like this with the existing red "column" duplicated on the other wall and the two 'joined' up be the column.
[Image: BBC-REGIONAL-NEWS-SCREEN-EXPLAINER.jpg]

RE: BBC/ITV Midlands News - steve - 17-02-2023

(17-02-2023, 02:43 PM)Spencer Wrote:  

It also goes to demonstrate why I think sofas don’t suit single-headed presentation well. That great swathe of empty red sofa dominating the shot just looks naff. Mary looks lost.

Yes, agree.

Being on a chair also allows you more easily to point your whole body at a different place so you could shoot that shot differently / more naturally. On a sofa, you can turn your head but you're then at odd angles with rest of your body (see North West Tonight / Breakfast shots).

A sofa has the benefit of being 'fixed' so chairs don't need to be brought on and off set for guests, etc, and I know there's an argument it makes guests more relaxed. But something like the Wales Today solution of a chair for the presenter but a fixed 'sofa type bench seating' alongside would be a solution.

RE: BBC/ITV Midlands News - Spencer - 17-02-2023

(17-02-2023, 02:59 PM)AaronLancs Wrote:  
Apologies to the mods for coming up with this. Would something like a plexiglass type of column do with the programmes name printed on it and easily set-able at a 45 degree angle do like this with the existing red "column" duplicated on the other wall and the two 'joined' up be the column.
[Image: BBC-REGIONAL-NEWS-SCREEN-EXPLAINER.jpg]
Anyone for a game of Midlands Today Hangman?

RE: BBC/ITV Midlands News - Mike - 17-02-2023

No.

It's clutter and these sets are trying to remove clutter.

I find it interesting that the 1.2m firelane is still preserved behind the new sets, Shefali Oza tweeted some literal behind the scenes photos, you can see how they've maximised the space available to them.

RE: BBC/ITV Midlands News - Earlie37 - 17-02-2023

(17-02-2023, 10:20 PM)Mike Wrote:  No.

It's clutter and these sets are trying to remove clutter.

I find it interesting that the 1.2m firelane is still preserved behind the new sets, Shefali Oza tweeted some literal behind the scenes photos, you can see how they've maximised the space available to them.

Said tweet:
https://twitter.com/Shefali_oza/status/1626275276941324288?s=20 

RE: BBC/ITV Midlands News - Stuart - 18-02-2023

(17-02-2023, 02:43 PM)Spencer Wrote:  
I completely agree. I've never been a fan of 'sofa news', I just think it sets the wrong tone. Confused

I hope when Plymouth gets the new set that they're allowed to use a desk. There is a sofa at the other end of the studio which they can keep as it is for fluffy stuff and Politics South West.