Pres Café
Channel 5 Presentation Thread (Present Day -) - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Channel Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Channel 5 Presentation Thread (Present Day -) (/showthread.php?tid=181)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

RE: Channel 5 Presentation Thread (Present Day -) - Brekkie - 10-12-2023

So in US terms we'd be likely back to another separation of CBS & Viacom - they seem to come together and split apart every few years. It's hard to say what the impact would be here but I feel Paramount+ probably benefits from it's association with C5 rather than vice versa. The only on screen benefit C5 really seem to get is the Friends repeats, but this is partly why the idea of folding My5 and Pluto into one destination didn't seem a wise idea.

RE: Channel 5 Presentation Thread (Present Day -) - orange - 10-12-2023

I never really thought they utilised Channel 5 being under Viacom/Paramount’s wing that amazingly - they had a whole catalogue of programmes they could’ve used to spruce up their offerings (especially on things like 5Star) but it felt like they got Friends on the main channel and that was about it.

I hope if Channel 5 gets handed off again that it gets treated with a bit more respect and finds itself properly. I think targeting the channel more towards an older audience was wise, but I still think it’s struggling to really find its feet - I don’t think it ever fully recovered from the Northern and Shell days. I hope someone can modernise it’s image properly and make more of an effort with it - that’s not to say people haven’t tried, but I do think it feels like it limps along compared to the other channels.

RE: Channel 5 Presentation Thread (Present Day -) - JexedBack - 12-12-2023

I can’t see any major international companies wanting to buy 5 now. I also can’t see Sky making a bid either.
I think itv would possibly consider a bid to consolidate FTA advertising market, they could rebrand it as itv2.
Would be a good fit with UKTV/BBC Studios too.

RE: Channel 5 Presentation Thread (Present Day -) - SB678 - 12-12-2023

(12-12-2023, 12:05 AM)JexedBack Wrote:  I think itv would possibly consider a bid to consolidate FTA advertising market, they could rebrand it as itv2.
???

ITV also ruled out making a bid on Channel 5 back in 2014 and I can't see such a bid being considered now, would competition watchdogs even allow it?

(10-12-2023, 01:17 PM)orange Wrote:  I never really thought they utilised Channel 5 being under Viacom/Paramount’s wing that amazingly - they had a whole catalogue of programmes they could’ve used to spruce up their offerings (especially on things like 5Star) but it felt like they got Friends on the main channel and that was about it.
They did try with 5Star. There was South Park, a few sitcoms like My Wife and Kids, Two and a Half Men, even acquired 3rd Rock From the Sun for a bit. More recently earlier this year they actually tried moving Friends from Channel 5 to a morning slot on 5Star.

Clearly this didn't work out. None of the shows I mentioned are on 5Star anymore.

RE: Channel 5 Presentation Thread (Present Day -) - orange - 12-12-2023

I think just slapping the shows on there and calling it a day is a bit of a tepid attempt though, no? I don’t think they really promoted it at all and I imagine if they did it would be in the C5 ecosystem… which I don’t think has much of its target audience tuning in.

5Star also has original programming that eventually makes its way over to MTV, which is interesting - is it to get more eyes on it because of the lack of them on 5Star or the other way around?

RE: Channel 5 Presentation Thread (Present Day -) - Keith - 12-12-2023

With My5 and Pluto set to merge it'll be interesting to see what happens to the new service and Channel 5 in general if Paramount is taken over and subsequently split up. One might argue that with all the FAST channels (via Pluto) does Channel 5 really need all its linear channels, or could they save money by moving one or more off linear and into the FAST format.

RE: Channel 5 Presentation Thread (Present Day -) - XIII - 12-12-2023

(10-12-2023, 03:34 AM)what Wrote:  I wonder if it got sold, the new owners would keep Ben Frow? I really don't think another overhaul in image and programming would help the channel.
Ben Frow has been there for 11 years so I don't think a change in leadership would necessarily be a bad thing and if anything new eyes could build on the success they have had in the last few years.

RE: Channel 5 Presentation Thread (Present Day -) - Andrew Wood - 19-12-2023

'Christmas on the Farm' is being promoted with a special ident.

https://theident.gallery/player.php/C5-2023-XMAS-ID-CHRISTMASONTHEFARM-1-181223 

RE: Channel 5 Presentation Thread (Present Day -) - orange - 19-12-2023

I would normally say hey at least they’re trying with the special idents - this is absolutely hideous though.

RE: Channel 5 Presentation Thread (Present Day -) - Stuart - 20-12-2023

(19-12-2023, 03:20 AM)orange Wrote:  I would normally say hey at least they’re trying with the special idents - this is absolutely hideous though.
Actually, that one made me smile.

After many years of fumbling around with name alterations (Channel 5/five/FIVE/Channel 5 again) and random ownership changes, since 2016 they finally seem to be getting more and more comfortable in their own skin. I think Paramount Global are in it for the long haul.

The logo is now sufficiently identifiable as just 'Channel 5' for them to be able to mess around and have some fun with it for special idents. They don't all work, but they are only temporary after all.

Let's face it, even these are far better than the time when one of their main station idents was five dogs sat in the back of a truck with no logo on screen! Confused

The main CGI ident looks as if it can be re-coloured quite easily for special programmes (blue and yellow for Ukraine etc) and you don't need to see all of it before you know which channel you're watching. I would think that is quite successful branding, but then again I'm a pres geek and I'm biased. Tongue