Pres Café
TV Social Media Pres Gold - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Channel Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: TV Social Media Pres Gold (/showthread.php?tid=19)

RE: TV Social Media Pres Gold - James2001 - 11-07-2023

I think the idea of a sitcom being broadcast live by 1982 would by pretty much unheard of.

Though admittedly the previous year the daytime soap Together went out live. Which was also very unusual for the era (Talking Pictures repeated it a few years back).

RE: TV Social Media Pres Gold - Neil Jones - 11-07-2023

I think "live" at 10pm on a Sunday night for a sitcom was pretty much not going to happen. We have had late night live TV in various guises at that time granted, but a sitcom seems a bit far fetched to be honest.

No I think what it boils down to is somebody lined up the wrong edit of the episode (or it was labelled wrongly on the tape as a broadcast master) for some reason, that went out, that screwed presentation up and resulted in what actually happened on air.

Probably never know 40 years later what the problem actually was - genuine error, human error (wrong label?), some other error? Who knows after all that time. Could have been the cleaning personnel at the controls for all we know.

The only post-1960s live sitcoms I can think of are the live episodes of Two Pints and Mrs Brown's Boys, and both of those were highly publicised one-off events rather than regular episodes.

There are claims some of the Only Fools and Horses Royal Flush episode could have gone out live because production was such a mess and down to the wire, but it never happened in the end (and there's only a small amount of studio footage in the episode anyway).

RE: TV Social Media Pres Gold - Milkshake - 11-07-2023

The only idea I can come up with was someone was editing that episode but fell ill over the weekend, and was unable to finish it. Some Cross wires later and some thought it was complete and push it out to air.

RE: TV Social Media Pres Gold - Stooky Bill - 11-07-2023

(11-07-2023, 10:44 PM)James2001 Wrote:  The only post-1960s live sitcoms I can think of are the live episodes of Two Pints and Mrs Brown's Boys, and both of those were highly publicised one-off events rather than regular episodes.
There was a live episode of Not Going Out a few years ago, and Inside No9, if you consider that a sitcom

Oh yeah, I forgot Not Going Out for some reason, even though I watched it at the time...

RE: TV Social Media Pres Gold - Neil Jones - 12-07-2023

I'm pretty sure there was a reason why that Not Going Out episode was done live, but I can't remember what it was. I know it went out around Christmas time, was it just to be the season finale for whatever series we were on at the time?

RE: TV Social Media Pres Gold - Steve in Pudsey - 12-07-2023

Somebody has commented on the YT upload

Quote:Next morning, the Daily Mirror reported that the show had ended abruptly, four minutes short of time, after the cast appeared to fluff their lines. ‘We played the wrong tapes. It wasn’t the final edited version’, said an LWT spokesperson.

I can imagine some interesting conversations on the Red Phone that night, not least about the lack of cue dots into the ad break

RE: TV Social Media Pres Gold - Milkshake - 12-07-2023

Surly that what the duty logs are for? which listed everything down to the milsecond?

RE: TV Social Media Pres Gold - Stooky Bill - 12-07-2023

(12-07-2023, 08:37 PM)Milkshake Wrote:  Surly that what the duty logs are for?  which listed everything down to the milsecond?
Duty logs are the logs of complaints/calls from viewers. 

Do you mean this sort of thing: https://routinesheetsdatabase.co.uk/ 

Thing is that that cue dots are a fall back on timing, and the timings in the paperwork would have been wrong too.